GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,717 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

The Road to Canterbury» Forums » Rules

Subject: One specific scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite sure if this belongs in the rules section or variants, but here is what happened in our game today (btw first play) and it bothered me, cause it changed the whole game without giving me the chance to react:

As her very last move Bea played the relic that granted her two actions, which allowed her to Pardon a sin (thereby equalizing the corruption cube on the pilgrim), then play a sin card (thereby killing the pilgrim off). After that she could refill her hand with sin cards (therby making sure that she had more in hand than I did and winning the tie breaker ->she could move her corruption cube onto the road-> she got 10 points for Canterbury plus the 20 for now having more cubes on the villages).

Now, I understand that this might not happen all that often and that some relic card are more powerful than others, but the thing that bothered me was, that by having a powerful relic card at the right moment, she started a chain reaction that completely destroyed everything I had set up with one move).

So, what I suggest is that at the very end of the game, players are not allowed to refill their hands.

Any other suggestions or clarifications
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a v i d B u r k e y
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it. Edgar Allan Poe
badge
Ain't nobody here but us chickens...
mbmbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:

...but the thing that bothered me was, that by having a powerful relic card at the right moment, she started a chain reaction that completely destroyed everything I had set up with one move).

I have only played this game a handful of times, but the ability of a perfectly timed relic card play to start such favorable chain reactions is one of the best parts of the game. I say give Bea a pat on the back for a well-played game and vow to return the favor in the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I say give Bea a pat on the back for a well-played game

This I already did (and I did not ENVY her the win, therefor not committing one of the big 7), but I thought it weird that in a game where you plan ahead a lot, it all comes down to one move that was way more powerful than all the others...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a v i d B u r k e y
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it. Edgar Allan Poe
badge
Ain't nobody here but us chickens...
mbmbmbmbmb
The double action relic card is one of the most useful relic cards. That it was able to be used so effectively on the last turn was a little bit of good fortune. In general, I don't think the card is too powerful (or broken).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.