GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,912 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Friday» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you use the special ability AND the attack power, or just the special ability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, does using the special negate the attack power or do you count both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always count both. I think the only restrictions are that the DOUBLE power can't be used on its own value, and that if a card is removed by another card's ability, then it's power is no longer counted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cosined
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From my extensive [3] game experience, the Robinson attack power applies when using the special ability on the same card. Some special abilities can modify the attack power, by either destroying, the "highest card = 0" aging card, or the double ability. I also play with the assumption that exchanging and bottom of the piling a card whose ability you used doesn't prevent/cancel that ability, but it DOES remove the attack power contribution to the fight. So the way to look at it would be that any card in play on either side of the hazard applies its attack power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use both - the attact power is used automatically, the special power is optional (not of the negative Robinson-cards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the sum of all fighting points of your face up fighting cards is at least equal or higher to the hazard value (matching the actual step), you beat the hazard and win the fight.

If the card is face-up, it counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosined wrote:
I also play with the assumption that exchanging and bottom of the piling a card whose ability you used doesn't prevent/cancel that ability, but it DOES remove the attack power contribution to the fight.

That depends on the card. If you've already used a card's ability, such as +1 life, +2 cards or destroy, that is fine. However, the abilities of some cards, such as double or -1 level, are not used until the hazard is resolved at the end, and the card must be present and face up at that time to be used. If you've exchanged or moved such a card to the bottom, neither its attack strength nor its special ability could be used.

Also, note that a card's ability can't be used on the card itself (you can't use a +1 exchange to exchange that card).

The original question has been answered correctly - you can use both the attack strength and the special ability of each card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.