GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,743 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Sedition Wars: Battle for Alabaster» Forums » General

Subject: List of Sci-Fi References rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the campaign is close to its end we see a lot of new stretch goals with new promo characters. Usually they reference some well-known sci-fi character but since I am not so sure for some of them, I thought I should ask here and make a list at the same time for people with the same question.

(Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or/and inform me of the ones I don't know)

So, the promo characters so far:

Dr. Susan Ridley
- Ellen Ripley, Aliens
Niven Banks - Isaac Clarke, Dead Space
Ramirez - Pvt. Vasquez, Aliens (?)
Hexen Phaedrus - Number Six, Battlestar Galactica
Mercenary Crew (Calamity Crew) - Serenity Crew
Keegan Kor - Riddick, Pitch Black / Chronicles of Riddick
Jada "Iron" Lily - ???
Akosha - ???
Morgan Vade - ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sanderson
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The last three are part of Sedition Wars lore, and aren't based off of anyone. Niven Banks and Hexen are part of the lore, too, and their models in future expansions aren't supposed to look like their special models in the Kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kara (the non-promo commander model) reminded me of Kara Thrace (Starbuck) from Battlestar Galactica. But that's mostly just because of the name and the blonde hair, not many other distinguishing features on the model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron Lily is likely the Siren from Borderlands 1. She's got identical outfit/tattoo, and barring the little helmet seems to be exactly the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nah no way Lily is not mean to be the Siren, the likeness is next to non existent. The only thing that is the same is the jacket and that's a stretch. The tattoo is not even remotely the same, the Siren is covered in tribal markings and Lily has a tiny heart tattoo.

The OP has got the references right. I like how the Ripley and Vasquez are in the Sedition Wars universe though, with Vanguard armour and weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like you got all of them right.

As additions Dr. Susan Ridley is not only a reference to the character Ellen Ripley from the movie Alien, but also to the director of that movie, Ridley Scott.

Niven Banks is not only visually a reference to Isaac Clarke, the name is also a reference by turning Isaac (Asimov + Arthur C.) Clarke into (Larry) Niven (+Ian M.) Banks, all four well known sf writers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Isn't Akosha a terminator -- maybe the female bodyguard one played by Summer Glau (who already has one figure in this set) in that Sarah Connor TV show?

Maybe the cyborg on the space station from Friday the 13th part 11: Jason in Space? (whatever it was called)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Rehm

Palm Bay
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure they meant Jada "Iron" Lilly to be Tank Girl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sanderson
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Again, the Iron Lily is exclusive to the Sedition Wars lore. There are no more references.

Akosha isn't a terminator, she's a cyborg. Terminators are specific to the Terminator franchise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.