Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Avants
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy of Nuts! Publishing's Somme 1918 in the mail today, direct from France. I excitedly ripped off the shrink wrap and was anxious to examine the contents, fondle the components, and get this ready to play. This review is based on my first impressions of the game and its components. Once I get this darling on the table and play a few turns, I'll update the post.

First of all, the box itself is similar to something GMT or Lock n' Load would make. In fact, it is identical to the box of Heroes of the Gap. Slick glossy art covering the entire box, both bottom and top. Very sturdy.

The components are top notch. The two rule books – one for the basic rules and one for the advanced rules and designers notes – are well done and completely in color. The basic game rulebook is 20 pages, while the advanced game rulebook is 12 pages. The rules have plenty of color examples, and the whole thing is laid out really well. I am in the process of reading them now, and from what I can see so far, they are well-written and well-organized.

The map is gorgeous. It seems to be standard map stock, folded pretty tightly into an 8 inch square. The map features are well done and it is a pleasure to look at.

There are two countersheets, both color glossy finish. I know some people do not like the glossy finish, but it seems to make the colors and information pop. I'm not sure how they will fare in my overhead light, but I like them. They are also thicker than normal countersheets. I can't wait to cut these out!

There are three player aid cards used for setup and reinforcements, based on scenarios and the campaign game. They are fully color cardstock with a light laminated glossy finish. There are three other half-page cards of similar quality for air units and German and Allied events. One full page player aid card explains all of the random events as well. Finally, there is an 11x17 folded player aid card that contains charts and tables.

All of the components are of high quality, and honestly remind me of the components in LnL's Heroes of the Gap. Same high quality materials and printing, and even the same printer smell!

Just from this out of the box review, I am going to love getting this on the table. A very well-done package which should be a pleasure to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm really, really glad that the game box Nuts! chose was so strong. My shipped container from France was destroyed in its crossing of the Atlantic. The game survived unscathed. I'm wondering if I got all that Nuts! sent overseas, however. I received the game Somme, one advertising flyer, and one mini-game (The Picrocholine Wars) as a promo for pre-ordering. Was anything else included with the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Avants
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly what I got, too. A nice little package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Desbois
France
Aix en Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any updates on the gameplay?

bwavants wrote:
I just received my copy of Nuts! Publishing's Somme 1918 in the mail today, direct from France. I excitedly ripped off the shrink wrap and was anxious to examine the contents, fondle the components, and get this ready to play. This review is based on my first impressions of the game and its components. Once I get this darling on the table and play a few turns, I'll update the post.

First of all, the box itself is similar to something GMT or Lock n' Load would make. In fact, it is identical to the box of Heroes of the Gap. Slick glossy art covering the entire box, both bottom and top. Very sturdy.

The components are top notch. The two rule books – one for the basic rules and one for the advanced rules and designers notes – are well done and completely in color. The basic game rulebook is 20 pages, while the advanced game rulebook is 12 pages. The rules have plenty of color examples, and the whole thing is laid out really well. I am in the process of reading them now, and from what I can see so far, they are well-written and well-organized.

The map is gorgeous. It seems to be standard map stock, folded pretty tightly into an 8 inch square. The map features are well done and it is a pleasure to look at.

There are two countersheets, both color glossy finish. I know some people do not like the glossy finish, but it seems to make the colors and information pop. I'm not sure how they will fare in my overhead light, but I like them. They are also thicker than normal countersheets. I can't wait to cut these out!

There are three player aid cards used for setup and reinforcements, based on scenarios and the campaign game. They are fully color cardstock with a light lam

inated glossy finish. There are three other half-page cards of similar quality for air units and German and Allied events. One full page player aid card explains all of the random events as well. Finally, there is an 11x17 folded player aid card that contains charts and tables.

All of the components are of high quality, and honestly remind me of the components in LnL's Heroes of the Gap. Same high quality materials and printing, and even the same printer smell!

Just from this out of the box review, I am going to love getting this on the table. A very well-done package which should be a pleasure to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Henninger
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar experience with exterior shipping box damage, but everything inside was perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
spetz wrote:
Any updates on the gameplay?

Seems like of all those who have rated it, there is only like one person who really played the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not true.

Most of us who play and rate games do not record plays on here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.