Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Roma 5 times now and I really quite like the blend of luck, pace and different approaches. But unless we have the rules wrong, the Mercator / Handler does seem obscenely strong. Search thru the deck as fast as possible for a Haruspex or the Mercator using multiple dice on the card disk each turn. Use the Haruspex to search the deck for the Mercator and hold it safe in your hand. Hit your opponent a bit so they're losing VP's each round and not getting too many VP's from forums. Save your money as quick as you can using multiple dice on the money disk. Then in one move, place your Mercator down on a die roll that's been activated, get money with your other 2 dice again (if you need it) and purchase all their VP's for an instant victory.

For the moment, this 'who gets the mercator first' is killing it as an interesting spectacle for us. I know it's been playtested 200+ times, and there are 6 attack card strategies and multiple forum strategies, but the instant win of the Mercator still seems overstrong.

Have I got any rules wrong? Are the playtested rules the same as the printed rules for sure? For example, can you only place 1 die per turn on the money disc?

Maybe the rules should say you can only purchase 1 VP on a turn which would give it similar ability to the 'steal 1 vp' card?

Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sanheim
Canada
Coppersands
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of discussion. - Plato.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was uncertain about the rule for the Mercator as well. I've played it both ways but have decided to play that you can only buy one point for 2 sestertii. Of course, you can always use the action more than once if you have the ability to activate the character. This seemed to work much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Scholle
Australia
St Ives, 2075
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mercator / Handler strategy is a fun one to beat because it makes your opponent adopt a heavy offensive strategy, which combined with a forum or two will beat the Mercator / Handler about half the time. The player without the Mercator / Handler card will attack and kill off a card or two each round - forcing you to spend your precious money to rebuild a few either cheap or high defense cards to plug your holes and stop you bleeding too many victory points at the beginning of each round. Quite often I've seen the player with the Mercator / Handler card have to play their card too early to stop themselves losing the game by running out of victory point chips. Then their opponent is perfectly placed to kill off the Mercator / Handler card and steal it from the discard deck. When going the Mercator / Handler card route it tends to be an all or nothing strategy, which if it goes wrong will leave you extremely weak.
To me the fault lies around the fact that the game more often than not seems to revolve around control of ownership of the Mercator / Handler card, but luckily not always - sometimes we like to try other things. That's a different story though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
badge
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
In the past, I too have played that the mercator can only be used once per action die useage. However, he costs more to lay down AND has a lower defense then the Tribunus Plebes card, which allows you to take a single victory point for free.

Mercator: Cost 7, Defense 2
Tribunus Plebes: Cost 5, Defense 5

So it really doesn't make sense that the Mercator card would cost more, if you can only use it once.

Since the Mercator has the potential to steal a large number of VPs, I think it becomes the immediate goal of the opponent to kill him, which is relatively easy given his low defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefan Feld has responded by email to me saying there is indeed a problem. In the early versions of the game, there was a Spy card (draw a card from opponents hand) to balance the mercator. At some point in playtesting, the Spy (and some others) was dropped, forgetting about the mercator issue. If there is a new edition (perhaps), the spy may be back.

In the meantime, Stefan's suggestion is to define the mercator in this way: you can spend a maximum of 6 ses. with one dice-action.

Regards
Patrick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PBrennan wrote:
In the early versions of the game, there was a Spy card (draw a card from opponents hand)

Could it be possible to have the stats of the spy (cost, defense, ability) ? So we could try to include him using one of the blank cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Feld
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Hello !

Spy: Cost 3; Defence 4: Look at the hand of your opponent an put one card !

An other weapon against Mercator:

Thief: Cost 6; Defence 2: Put all the money from your opponent.

Greeting

Stefan Feld
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Stefan,
It's great to have you here and give us thoses stats !
But just to be sure...

Spy : "Look at the hand of your opponent an put one card". Where ? I suppose you put the card in your hand, correct ?

Thief : "Put all the money from your opponent". Where ? I suppose you take it for yourself, correct ?

Just out of curiosity, why did you left these two out of the final game ?

Thank you for this great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Feld
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Hello again !
Spy : "Look at the hand of your opponent an put one card". Where ? I suppose you put the card in your hand, correct ?
Yes !
Thief : "Put all the money from your opponent". Where ? I suppose you take it for yourself, correct ?
Yes !Just out of curiosity, why did you left these two out of the final game ?
For the beginner it can be frustrated. So i decide to put out these cards. And i want for the first edition, that each player plays on his "own side".I want to keep it simple !(It´s hard for me to explain it exactly in english, sorry)
Greetings
Stefan Feld
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of seeing these cards in a new version? or maybe putting up some art for them so we can print them out and play with them (I sleeve my cards for this game anyway).

Also how many of each card were in the origial design?

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Any word on whether these will be in Roma II?

In the original design, were there 2 Spy cards and 2 Thief cards?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Has anyone played without using the Mecator card at all, i.e., leave it out of the game entirely?
Is there still a plan for Roma II?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yemu Yemu
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Kris wrote:

Spy
Thief

In Latin that would be:
Spy=Speculator
Thief=Praedonis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All right! A comment for 2011! Roma II is a very good game. Let's try to get in two comments for 2011. Ah-h-h... make that three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McFadden
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Game night any night!
mbmbmbmbmb
Three it is>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Witt
Canada
Smithers
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
four. trying to get my wife to play more Roma (i love it; she doesn't), so stumbled over here. good info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Bought the game for some time but just busted it out to play 5 games over the last 2 weekends.

Once we found out about the Mercator, yeah, it becomes the most important card to hold onto, whether you are planning to use it or not. And once a player have it, it become very obvious, as he will be putting a lot of dice on the money chip.

From balance point of view I think it is still fine, as some have mentioned that it is a good way to deal with the forum.

The problem I see with it is the inevitable death when I know that my opponent have a mercator, as I have no way to deal with it other than trying to gather a lot of VP myself (harder to do as this depends on my rolls, and the attack cards have no use since the mercator is not laid yet), and my opponent trying to gather more money (simpler as any dice can activate the money action).

We will definitely be playing this game a few more times and see whether the Mercator kills the game for us or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.