Subject: Card Maker 0.97.0.3 (beta) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Stair
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overview
Card Maker is intended to assist in the creation of cards for a game. Cards can be generated using a CSV file as your data (text) source. You can enter all of the pertinent data into a spreadsheet, edit your card layout, then iterate easily without having to go back and change the layout of every card individually.

Card Maker is a layout designer using a WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) editor, not a scripting system (though some scripting functionality is present). Card Maker has a lot of crazy extra features as well. The documentation is reasonable (or so I hope)...

NOTE: This is a Windows .NET application... and no I will not be porting it to the Mac or other operating system in the foreseeable future cry.

What's New
- Preliminary PSD support (stick with RGBA images and everything should be okay...)
- "spc" tag support in formatted text (a user requested this)
- xo/yo (x and y offset) tags in formatted text
- Project switched over to Visual Studio 2010 (so who knows what broke!)

Latest formatted text sample:

NOTE: ... no joke... configuring mid-word formatting is obnoxious... I have yet to figure out how best to programatically do it so users don't have to.

Formatted Text is the new feature I have spent the most time on but it really is just an addition to the main purpose of the application. Some people have expressed that they are required to learn html and entering html into the application is annoying. To clarify: You do not need to know and/or use html. Formatted Text usage is optional and in much rougher shape than regular text development wise. I would recommend investigating Formatted Text only after you have a good grasp of how the application works. I make no claims that this is the most awesome and easy to understand application.

Download 0.97.0.3 Beta (there may be bugs... I am one person mostly driven by writing functionality... I need a QA team! ninja) (updated with print fix 7-22-2012)

You can always find the latest version here: CardMaker (and other tools) and additional information/requests/etc. on the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stair
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Card Maker 0.97.0.2 (beta)
Updated zip - fixed PSD issue! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raue
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started using your program to print prototype cards. I'm using a Google Spreadsheet to create the cards and export them to CVS. Everything is working great except for printing.

When I use 'File -> Print Preview Project' or 'File -> Print Project' it displays the following error message:

"You're trying to print something larger than a page can handle!"

When I click OK it proceeds to show the print preview or start printing the pages. It prints scaled down to about 1/6th of the page. The only way I've found to print the cards is to use Bullzip and print from the PDF but it's not perfect since it sometimes repeats the last card more times than I specified.

When I right click on a template in the project window and choose Print Card Layout it will generate infinite pages repeating the last card.

Here's a data file from my project
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stair
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zazery wrote:
I just started using your program to print prototype cards. I'm using a Google Spreadsheet to create the cards and export them to CVS. Everything is working great except for printing.

When I use 'File -> Print Preview Project' or 'File -> Print Project' it displays the following error message:

"You're trying to print something larger than a page can handle!"

When I click OK it proceeds to show the print preview or start printing the pages. It prints scaled down to about 1/6th of the page. The only way I've found to print the cards is to use Bullzip and print from the PDF but it's not perfect since it sometimes repeats the last card more times than I specified.

When I right click on a template in the project window and choose Print Card Layout it will generate infinite pages repeating the last card.

Here's a data file from my project

Thanks for the information! I found a code bug related to print preview (the infinite issue you were seeing). I'll update the thread with a new version with that fix.

What is the size of your cards (Width/Heigh/DPI)? Bullzip is the best route I have found in my experience. .NET/C# printing functionality is not the best (arguably I may not be using it exactly as intended!).

Thanks for helping to make CardMaker better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raue
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That fixed the printing issue I was having. My cards are 219x274 at 100 dpi. Here's what the planet cards look like in my game. Placeholder card art found on Google. It was surprisingly easy to make the cards look decent for playtesting purposes.

I just started using scripting and it's pretty neat but I'm not sure how to compare a data field to an empty string. For example I want to only draw the background behind the reward text on the planet cards if the reward data is not empty. I found a method that works but only if the first character is not a space.

#(if @[reward] == then #nodraw else images/Planet-RewardBox.png)#

A couple other suggestions. Detect when data references change and automatically refresh the cards. This is perhaps the only tedious part of the workflow. It would also be amazing if you can add references to Google spreadsheets directly. I'm collaborating with a friend on the game and it would make it so much easier to sync.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stair
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zazery wrote:
I just started using scripting and it's pretty neat but I'm not sure how to compare a data field to an empty string. For example I want to only draw the background behind the reward text on the planet cards if the reward data is not empty. I found a method that works but only if the first character is not a space.

#(if @[reward] == then #nodraw else images/Planet-RewardBox.png)#

A couple other suggestions. Detect when data references change and automatically refresh the cards. This is perhaps the only tedious part of the workflow. It would also be amazing if you can add references to Google spreadsheets directly. I'm collaborating with a friend on the game and it would make it so much easier to sync.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Google spreadsheet functionality would be really nice. I'll see what it would take in a future revision. In a far off dream world this would be a Google application entirely! (though printing and exporting to images would be horrible)

You are performing the empty string comparison as intended. I realize I failed to point out how to do that in the documentation! I will be sure to update the documentation along with possibly adding another special variable like #empty to make it more obvious.

A simple trick for refreshing the spreadsheet data is to have a second layout in the project and just switching to it and then back to the one you want to update. The CSV file is read from your hard drive whenever the layout node is selected. A file watcher would be helpful. In my experience they are always buggy so I may just add a hotkey to refresh the data source instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Truman
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Great program, very much loving it. Not sure if anyone still checks these boards...I'm interested in knowing if there is a way to make the outfile image the name of one of the text fields. Currently all the cards come out 'Default 1' 'Default 2' etc. Currently having to rename all the images manually.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Finding this tool very useful for putting together Barons of Catan. The export to image function implies the capacity to use variable names in your export (e.g. Military_Moat rather than Default_31). Is there any way I can do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.