Subject: Another Port City Expansion...Sorry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Isgrig

Little Rock
Arkansas
msg tools
mb
I know by now the fact that we all keep kinda stealing each others ideas is getting kinda silly, in regard to this whole Port City thing. I am of the opinion that adding very small but game changing expansions is the best way to go about things.

Here is what I did.

This pack is meant to be opened after all other official packs have been opened, and the 15th game has been played.

Included in the pack:
x2 The War Progresses Cards
x2 Evolution Cards
x4 Port City Marks
x4 Scar Cancelations
x1 Ammo Shortage Scar
x1 Bio-Hazard Scar
x1 Mercenary Scar
x1 Bunker Scar
x4 Ruins Scar
x5 new Mission Cards
x8 new Event Cards

The War Progresses:
(Card 1)The shape of your world is in constant flux. Cities Rise and fall,
as do factions. Now a new city type has evolved. Port Cities are a new reward type for winning a game. With them, new scars, scar cancellations, missions and events are now available.

(Card 2)Place the stickers from the evolution cards onto the rulebook in the matching boxes. Take the event cards and shuffle them into the event deck. Finally, shuffle the new mission cards into the mission deck.

Evolution Cards:
(card 1) Place in the open space on pg 14
Name and found a Port City: Take one of the four Red Minor City marks and place it in any territory that has a connection to one or more territories by sea. You may place a Port City on top of an existing Minor City. A Port City is NOT a legal starting territory.

(Card 2) Place in the open space on pg 14
Port City: A Port City allows anyone who controls it at the beginning of their turn to draw any face up territory card that is connected to the city by sea, or draw the territory card where the Port City is located. This does not count against any card the player may be eligible to draw at the end of their turn. Port City: A port city may not be adjacent by land or sea to another Port City. A player may only draw one card at the beginning of their turn, regardless of how many Port City’s they control. Do not replace drawn resource cards until the end of the turn.

Scar Cards:
(For the Ammo Shortage, Bunker, Mercenary and Bio-Hazard Scars, I simply printed new stickers and placed them on the used cards I had saved.)(x1 each)

RUINS:
(x4)You may play this card after you have conquered a minor city.
Place this ruin over the conquered city mark. That city is now destroyed. DEMOLISH any HQ in that territory.

Missions:

(x4) Colonization: Have a population of 8+ and at least 4 resource cards.
Player may place city on any unpopulated territory he controls. Destroy this card. Earn a Red Star
(This cards has a minor city mark on it as a reward for completing the mission)

(x1) Blockade: Control all Port Cities and all territories connected to them by sea. Earn a Red Star

Events:
(x5) Agents of Chaos: If no faction other than Khan Industries has a continent bonus, Khan Industries collects one red star token.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
(Each faction except the Aliens have their own Agents of Chaos event card. The Mutants have an Agent of Chaos event card that came with the 3 Missiles Pack)

(x2)Reversal of Fortune: The faction with the smallest population may place 5 troops in any one city he controls, OR He may make an immediate maneuver.

(x1) Call To Arms: The faction with the smallest total population and territories rolls a die. If the number rolled is less than the sum of their population and territories, gain that many troops and place them in one or more territories he controls.

So in this pack I tried to put an emphasis on helping weaker factions get stronger through Events (I though the event deck was weighed way to heavily in favor of the strong)
and also give the Human factions their own Events, since only the Mutants and Aliens had Events exclusively for themselves.

I reintroduced some old scars, but added the RUINS scar for any player to be able to destroy a city,
not just the Aliens.
I've tried to make sure there is still a balance in the number of scars and cities and the number of territories. I don't want the map to be completely full of marked territories, thats why I added the Ruins and some more scar cancelations. To keep the balance we started with, but also add some more flavor to the game.

I would post all the cards I made (I'm pretty damn proud of them to be honest), but I'm not sure what the copyright laws say, and my cards are basically identical in all but the actual text to the real cards. I will however post my Port City, because it is what I'm most proud of.

If anyone knows if it is OK for me to post that sort of stuff, let me know and I will do so. Or I can email you the pack if you want me to.

What do you guys think??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you don't provide anything that is available from the company, fan-made derivative works are completely legal as long as you aren't trying to make any money off it.

So feel free to post the parts your expansion that are original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great, I would love to ad the whole variant. Go ahead and post it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Isgrig

Little Rock
Arkansas
msg tools
mb
Ok cool. Well I'll try and post it all tonight then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Chu
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
The port city sticker is cute! How did you craft the stickers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Isgrig

Little Rock
Arkansas
msg tools
mb
Thanks! Basically I scanned the original Minor City sticker, then dropped it into Pages on my Mac, drew a circle and a rectangle over the top of it and then drew lots of lines, circles and boxes to shape the image. I don't have any great graphic design software, just used what I had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
still hoping this will get posted, it looks like a really nice expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Isgrig

Little Rock
Arkansas
msg tools
mb
I upload the file last night in the Files sects, but it has yet to show up. Does that mean it is awaiting approval by an administrator, or did I do something wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
awaiting approval. This can take a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Isgrig

Little Rock
Arkansas
msg tools
mb
OK so here is the link to the page where you can download the file.

[url]http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/80361/risk-legacy-port-cit...
[/url]
Please note that I did not include the backs of the cards in this file, because the backs are actually scans of the cards that came with the game. If you want I can email you the template for printing the backs, however it is not necessary. I suppose you can customize the backs yourself if you'd like.

Hope you all enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Isgrig

Little Rock
Arkansas
msg tools
mb
I have uploaded a revised version of this pack which should be available for download sometime tonight or tomorrow morning. The revision includes custom card backs, a new graphic for The War Progresses cards, new graphics on the Event cards, and new Evolution cards.

I'll post a link here as soon as I know it is available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Isgrig

Little Rock
Arkansas
msg tools
mb
I'm really sorry that my revision has yet to post. When I originally uploaded the expansion, it went public the next day. This revision has take almost a week now, and since then I've actually revised it 2 more times, so I'm not sure when the current revision will go live. I can give you a sample here though of what I've done.

After playing with this expansion a few times, I've decided that the Ruins scars benefit the Aliens far to much.
My hope was that it would allow for the creation of new cities and give players an opportunity to break up some massive advantages it may have to control continents with lots of cities.

My solution was to remove the Ruins scars from the expansion and add a new scar type, Alien Resistance.

"Alien Resistance
You may play this card prior to an attack roll.
Place this Alien Resistance scar on
any unscarred territory.

When defending against or attacking the Aliens, add 1 to both your dice. This effect is reversed if controlled by the Aliens."
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1369466/isgrig1982

Also, The Call To Arms event we discovered often times has no effect at all, if the weakest player has a really small population and territory total. So what I did was just eliminate that card altogether and added a 3rd Reversal of Fortune Card.

Here is what the War Progresses card looks like for this expansion.

I hope my revisions get posted soon so I can share all of this with you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Isgrig

Little Rock
Arkansas
msg tools
mb
The final version of this pack is now available for download in the files section. I added one major new element, the ability, at the end of a game, to alter a city's population. City's grow and shrink over time, and I wanted that to be an element in the game as well.

Something I failed to do is address if a minor city whose population has increased should still be considered a Minor City, or a Major City who's population has decreased is now a Minor City.

I guess I need to write some rules amendments. Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a really nice expansion. I ordered the A4 label sheet and photo quality paper and have made up the expansion pack and added it to my base set. Just have to wait for the opening conditions now!

I have tried not to look at too much of the card text so as to leave a little bit of a surprise factor but what I have seen makes me want to play it soon!

Many thanks for this.... hopefully I will remember to post here how we get on with it when the pack is opened.... until then I must try to forget what I have seen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Isgrig

Little Rock
Arkansas
msg tools
mb
Thanks Jeff! Hope you enjoy and be sure and check out the new expansion I'm working on. It's still kinda in Beta, but maybe by the time you have opened up Port Cities and played through it, I'll have the final version of the new expansion done!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.