Subject: If your house was burning down....... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your house was burning down, and you could only save what you could carry, what would you save?

(We're assuming all family members and pets are out alive and already safe. No crispy BGG'ers please )

Also, assuming you have insurance so anything left behind is covered by it. Would your answers change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Anything that had pictures of my wife and I.

And the samurai sword we cut our wedding cake with...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
Anything that had pictures of my wife and I.

Which for my wife and I would be like 2 small boxes and our computers... which I would grab.

And I would grab my uke that was signed by Jake Shimabukuro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Uhm...

My PC and the collapsible file containing birth certificates, tax stuff and other assorted important documents. Heck, the only reason why I'd grab the pc is due to the sheer multitude of digital pics of the family that are on it. Aside from that, the rest can burn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably grab the old albums I haven't digitized and my kids "baby books"

Maybe the business computer. Everything is backed up to the cloud but getting back up and running quickly would be important to me (and my employees) to keep the company going smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly my copy of the true history of the pirates, or maybe my complete Poe. But most likely the closest thing hand (at the moment Edison conquers Mars) and my flash drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd save my external hard drive (includes all my photos!) and a blanket that my fiance's grandmother made him.

That took less time than I thought. I guess I'm not as attached to things as I'd like to think I am.

"If it's material, it's replaceable" I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
How big is the fire and how much time do I have?

My backup drive is in my computer case, so my desktop is the only thing I couldn't really replace. Still, I'd try to save my new desktop, monitor, guitar, ukulele, Tommie Frazier jersey, and my football. I don't own a lot of stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The external harddrives -- with all the pictures on them -- and the box of photos from my childhood. Also probably an expensive OOP game or two.

I sense a theme here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:

My new desktop, monitor, guitar, ukulele, Tommie Frazier jersey, football. I don't own a lot of stuff.

We'll assume you're not the Hulk And you can only save what you can pick up/out within a very short (5 minute?) time frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
puggeroni wrote:
We'll assume you're not the Hulk

I know, I'm the Tick.

Quote:
And you can only save what you can pick up/out within a very short (5 minute?) time frame.

I could get all that in 5 minutes. Put the jersey on, toss the football out the window, grab the computer stuff, and make one last trip for the guitar.

Edit: and my Wings of War minis.
Edit: and my Crokinol board.
Edit: and PitchCar.

OK, it's safe to say I will suffer some burns if this happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:

OK, it's safe to say I will suffer some burns if this happens.

Carry out some Neosporin and walk it off man, walk it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

The external harddrives -- with all the pictures on them...

One word: CrashPlan+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I use it

I just prefer something physical at hand in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tickmanfan wrote:

My backup drive is in my computer case, so my desktop is the only thing I couldn't really replace. Still, I'd try to save my new desktop, monitor, guitar, ukulele, Tommie Frazier jersey, and my football. I don't own a lot of stuff.

Hell, yeah! Go Big Red!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
puggeroni wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:

My new desktop, monitor, guitar, ukulele, Tommie Frazier jersey, football. I don't own a lot of stuff.

We'll assume you're not the Hulk And you can only save what you can pick up/out within a very short (5 minute?) time frame.

You would be surprised how much I could throw out my bedroom window in five minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
puggeroni wrote:
I'd save my external hard drive (includes all my photos!) and a blanket that my fiance's grandmother made him.

That took less time than I thought. I guess I'm not as attached to things as I'd like to think I am.

"If it's material, it's replaceable" I suppose.

You say that but not always. The first thing I'd go for is my Afghanistan medal which has my name and rank on it. Any replica I obtain will have 'replica' on it - bespoke medals are a one-off deal. Obviously that is the first thing I'd go for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone always picks pictures of kids, and weddings, to save but, seriously, when was the last time that you actually looked at those albums?
My wedding album? 22 years ago, at least.
My daughter's baby picture albums? 12 years ago-- she's 22 now. The reason we looked at them was for a school project that she had to provide pictures for (a family tree/ art thing).

Now I'm not saying that they aren't special & valuable, but if truth be told they are just collecting whatever dust gets blown around inside a box and a cupboard downstairs.

In a fire, I'd grab my passport from a drawer, & my wallet, and of course make sure that everyone else got out of the house. Everything else is expendable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Sytsma
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its easy to say that I would grab this or that from the safety of your house as its not on fire but its 100% different when you feel the heat. Speaking form experience (as a firefighter) and being in burning buildings all I have to say is get the HECK out. The last thing I want to do is find your burnt body during a primary search, because you tried to grab pictures, or computers or whatever. Even if the fire is small and you think you have time to save stuff don't. We do our best to not damage more than we have to while doing overhaul. We put tarps down and move items out of the way as to not destroy them. You are a bigger help to us outside telling us if there is anyone that needs rescuing than as a victim inside that we have to save. Now go check the batteries in your smoke detectors.

This has been a message from your friendly local firefighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Sytsma
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
puggeroni wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:

You would be surprised how much I could throw out my bedroom window in five minutes.

You would be surprised at how quickly a fire spreads in 5 minutes shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa guys!

Much like me being a supermodel, this thread is purely a "What if" without all the bad parts of reality chucked in.

In reality I'm pretty sure most of us would just bail out with family and pets in tow ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this is a choice I've come fairly close to. The difference was I had a wife unaccounted for.

I lived in married student housing up in the Berkeley hills in 1991 when the Oakland firestorm happened. Some of you may recall:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_firestorm_of_1991
That fire started a little north-east of our place.

My buddy Shannon

Shannon Appelcline
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

& I had set out that morning on an errand to San Jose. I took the baby with me so my wife (the ex) could get some studying done.
As we returned the fire was just coming over the hills & the evacuations had started. The cops would only let me into the place accompanied by them & said I could only grab a few things and then I had to get out. By the time I'd arrived my wife had already left (no cell phone back then). So she was my main concern. I didn't even bother with stuff. I just headed from shelter to shelter till I found her. Honestly at a time like that if a family member isn't accounted for then property becomes pointless.
Luckily the path of the fire missed our place by a few blocks so we were among the fortunate folks. I know people who lost a lot in that fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My house, is out of the ordinary.
That's right, don't want to hurt nobody.
Some things, sure can sweep me off my feet.
Burning down the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My toaster. The only one I've seen in 58 years that works
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire!
We don't need no water—Let the motherfucker' burn!
Burn, motherfucker', burn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.