Subject: This one or the original version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I own this and the original game and I haven't played one of them. But I'm planning to do it soon. So I would like to know which one I should play? I mean, is this better because it is the 'streamlined' version? Or should I start with the original? Or should I play both because they are different enough?

Thanks for any comment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
They are clearly related and substantially different from each other. I prefer the original West Riding game (and the rest of the series) to the "revisited" version as they focus on something almost entirely untouched by any other game by any other designer. They are also more opaque, indirect and difficult. West Riding Revisited conversely is somewhat more direct and simple to play, but in the process loses exclusive sight of the core weaponisation of money aspects that the other games express so delightfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BrenoK wrote:
But West Riding Revisited is still a good game, right?

I played three times I think. My general conclusion was that it was structurally sound but less interesting than its parent. I didn't get further than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
West Riding Revisited conversely is somewhat more direct and simple to play, but in the process loses exclusive sight of the core weaponisation of money aspects that the other games express so delightfully.

I have seen you use this turn of phrase a number of times regarding the series. I'm not totally sure that i understand what you mean. I've played the revisited version; what rules differences and how are the dynamics and character of the game different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.