West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have decided to try and play through the Lord of the Rings scenarios solo and started, from the start.

Reviewing the encounter cards led me to think that enemies and threat were the biggest problems to deal with and so I tried to build a combined spirit and tactics deck to counter these issues. Gimli and Thalin teamed up with Glorfindel in his latest spirit incarnation.

My second rule for solo play is you need a deck that is approximately 50% allies in order to get enough out to deal with what the encounter deck has to throw at you.

Spirit Glorfindel has a low starting threat and consequently this gave me plenty of breathing room, or so I thought. My early game was about getting cards on the table to help with the hill troll and the +3 attack tactics card coupled with several allies got me through the first phase. I also added Resourceful to Glorfindel to speed up his resource production, but that was soon canceled by a shadow effect. Although, thankfully this did not cause significant issues. In fact my problem was mainly a lack of cards to play and the four attacking enemies, including a warg dealt as a shadow card, late in the first stage. My combination of heroes managed to fight through.

Early second stage draws were mainly treachery and location cards and Glorfindel with the addition of a card which allows him to quest without exhausting was key to seeing the second phase along with Arwen and Rohan allies all sent questing to burn through locations and add progress tokens to the quest. In this phase 4-8 progress tokens were being added each round, which was useful because the threat-o-meter was ticking away quickly. As my threat hit 48 I had finished the second stage confident that I could defeat whatever was left in the deck, although I did nearly have a heart attack when the second hill troll was pulled out. At this point I figured I was done, even if my platemailed dwarf defended I looked likely to take damage enough to see my character killed and 2 added to the threat counter finishing the game. Then I realised that a combination of my 4 defence eagle and Arwen's response gave me 5 defence and I got lucky on the shadow card which pushed my threat to 49. Now, once more into the breach dear dwarves: four damage Gimli, Thalin, Glorfindel and Erebor Blade master (bolstered by 2 additional dwarves) put paid to the hill troll and sealed the victory. Just. I think. After all with this game it is sometimes difficult to be certain that you played every effect properly. Still I'll take it as a win for now. Not looking forward to escaping Dol Guldar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hancock
Australia
Birkdale
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you rebuilding your deck each time for each quest? (ie you will rebuild for Gol Dulgor?)

Just curious, as it seems to me that it's hard to go past a Lore/Spirit combination for solo play for most quests (Bilbo,Glorfindal the Azkikr and Frodo) though of course Anduin is more combat orientated than most. Not as bad as Carrock though... gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I intend to rebuild each time in order to bring some variety to the gameplay and to prevent getting whacked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to tackle the same type of goal. Make a deck that does reasonably well for as many of the scenarios as possible.

I, too, am using Spirit Glor and have, for the moment, used all available cards. So far what I have found (testing not complete) is that the deck is doing very well below 6 (am testing some 6's now). I was able to deal with at least one problem child (Journey to Rhosgobel), using a 5-10 card sideboard substitute in. I will also try to fix the sideboard to a set group of cards, but not sure that will work out so well.

I have not yet really challenged Dol Guldur and the naked deck was abysmal the two times I tried it. LOL.

I will need all the luck I can get, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.