Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first saw this game here on BGG, I must say my first thought was that it looked Capital S Stupid. I just watched the InD20 review video, however, and I like the idea of a side scrolling card game and the video game-esqué mechanics.

I'm still not sold on the theme. I want to know how close to the border of good taste this game comes. I'm going to ignore the fact that it may be mocking a beloved US President because it's not the first time it's been done recently, so here's my question:

Is Pixel Lincoln a family friendly game or do I have to hide it from children and teenagers? Does it get any raunchier than the President hitting various Mexican wrestlers with various varieties of meat products? Is this just a, 'if you have to ask, it isn't for you moment?

Thank you for your responses. I do have a higher regard for this game than I did at first. I just want to know if it would be appropriate for my house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tagmire
United States
Westmont
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hey, I don't think there is anything to keep from teenagers. I'm the designer, but I've also been the editor, choosing the best course for the overall tone of the project. The game is edgy, but not raunchy. Some of the edgiest things in the game might be the puking turtle, or a shirtless male background character?

Check out the actual in-game cards in the daily blog posts I've been doing here to see everything up close.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/1531

Also, let me know if there's anything I can do to explain the game more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to look up 'mocking' if you're going to rip on things you admit to not knowing about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this mocking?

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with a couple of the above - it doesn't seem to be "mocking" anything, but rather just a silly theme with a well known historical figure. If anything, I think it's kind of emphasizing "Abe Lincoln was so awesome, he fights T-Rex'es with Chicken Cannons!"

In other words, to me, this game always struck me as an homage to Lincoln. A silly homage, but an homage nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
jtagmire wrote:
Hey, I don't think there is anything to keep from teenagers. I'm the designer, but I've also been the editor, choosing the best course for the overall tone of the project. The game is edgy, but not raunchy. Some of the edgiest things in the game might be the puking turtle, or a shirtless male background character?

Check out the actual in-game cards in the daily blog posts I've been doing here to see everything up close.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/1531

Also, let me know if there's anything I can do to explain the game more.

Thanks very much. I saw a few of those, but it just seemed like the sort of thing that can go downhill in taste really fast if you let it. If puking turtles is the worst of it, I think Pixel Lincoln might be worth looking into.

I'm sure my next question has been answered before, so if you could just post a link to the answer: Why Lincoln? Just to add to the silliness?

And I was going to ask how long the game plays, but that's right there on the main page.

And I know I just sound mean in my first post, but I think a lot of games look pretty dumb at first glance, I just need a designer in love with his game to show me why I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
And for the record, I personally didn't think it was mocking, but I can imagine quite a few people seeing it that way. I just thought it was more riding on the wave of 'Lincoln-mania' (again, now I see that the original implementation predates the Vampire Hunter book).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
BDSb wrote:

I'm sure my next question has been answered before, so if you could just post a link to the answer: Why Lincoln? Just to add to the silliness?

The designer can say for sure, but I think in a video or interview or something, he mentioned that when he was originally prototyping the game awhile back, he was using a penny for the pawn, but didn't really have a character nailed down yet. When it was time to do so, he realized the character was there in front of him the whole time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tagmire
United States
Westmont
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
BDSb wrote:

Scott is correct. Lincoln came about from using a penny as a temporary token in an old game. I made a prototype of a side scrolling card game and I used pennies because they were cheap. I had no characters at that time, but eventually I realized the character was in front of me the whole time. I made the penny the actual in-game token, and made the first image of Pixel Lincoln at that time.

This was November 2008, before there was any Lincoln hype. I've been working on a Nintendo DS version version of the game since 2010 and started on the deckbuilding game earlier this year when I wrapped up my design duties on the digital game. The Lincoln hype just happens to be on our side (and possibly not depending on how bad Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is?) but these games have been in progress for quite a while.

The taste part is something I've worked hard on my side to control. It is really easy for something like this to go downhill fast, so I've been a heavy hand in that area. Some cards are missing flavor text, etc. at this time as I'm making sure they are 100% appropriate for the cards and the characters.

And in the idea game that we based this off of, actual history is thrown out of whack in the very first cut scene when John Wilkes Booth steals Lincoln's hat and disrupts the balance of time and space. Don't blame me for historical inaccuracy, blame John Wilkes Booth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Norris
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BDSb wrote:
When I first saw this game here on BGG, I must say my first thought was that it looked Capital S Stupid. I just watched the InD20 review video, however, and I like the idea of a side scrolling card game and the video game-esqué mechanics.

I'm still not sold on the theme. I want to know how close to the border of good taste this game comes. I'm going to ignore the fact that it may be mocking a beloved US President because it's not the first time it's been done recently, so here's my question:

Is Pixel Lincoln a family friendly game or do I have to hide it from children and teenagers? Does it get any raunchier than the President hitting various Mexican wrestlers with various varieties of meat products? Is this just a, 'if you have to ask, it isn't for you moment?

Thank you for your responses. I do have a higher regard for this game than I did at first. I just want to know if it would be appropriate for my house.
I had the same concern when I first saw the game. I am picky. I haven't encountered anything that turned me off (I have not played or examined the expansion) and completely forgot this concern. Now I can't wait to play it with our teenagers. It is all good fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
Femelephant wrote:
BDSb wrote:

I had the same concern when I first saw the game. I am picky. I haven't encountered anything that turned me off (I have not played or examined the expansion) and completely forgot this concern. Now I can't wait to play it with our teenagers. It is all good fun.

I've decided that too. I'm going to be watching it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.