Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Welcome to the 24 hour contest July 2012
The basic rules-/discussion-/subscription thread can be found here.
Additional requirements for this month are:

Dragons

2012 is the chinese year of the dragon, so your desing MUST contain a dragon in one way or the other. How a dragon is included is entirely up to you.

Happy designing and kind regards,
Kai

p.s.: The price for the winner is 6.50 for this month
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Intriguing. I've got a few ideas, but I probably won't get to them for another couple of weeks. I'm focusing on my newest entry for the 2012 Solitaire PnP Contest right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect it would be underhanded to have a game that has nothing at all to do with Dragons then shamelessly slap a picture of a dragon on the title?

We'll see if I can manage this, such a busy month Glad to see it's becoming a regular affair... Maybe I can do a game in *less* time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
I suspect it would be underhanded to have a game that has nothing at all to do with Dragons then shamelessly slap a picture of a dragon on the title?

schattentanz wrote:
How a dragon is included is entirely up to you.

As long as you are still able to look at your face in the mirror, I'm fine, too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Syele washere
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ok Im gonna try my hand at this. never did a whole game so fast before, might crash and burn but oh well.

I'm calling it Dragon Training. (I think lol)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Syele washere
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Starting my 24 hours now. I ended up do everything except game design yesterday lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Syele washere
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cry I had too much going on, couldn't do it. Maybe next month I can carve out a day with WAY less distractions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdie folks!

12 days are left .. thats 12x24 hours left to think something up and to present it here ..

Anyone daring to compete with Sam?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
Howdie folks!

12 days are left .. thats 12x24 hours left to think something up and to present it here ..

Anyone daring to compete with Sam?

I'd love to, and I even have the theme I want to use--I wrote about a dragon-themed game idea in my blog a few months ago. I just don't know if I'll get to it. I'm working really hard to finish the last 8 chapters of Wings of Lightning for the 2012 Solitaire Print and Play contest, which ends the same time this one does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Mayeski
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I have the game all together, starting at 9:00 Thursday and wraping up at 7:15 Friday. It was quite an experience - but I had just broken a two month "designer's block" so I wanted to strike while the iron was hot.

Just so I'm not bending the rules I have two questions, though.

1. I don't know how to link the single page PDFs I've saved for the components - so I have 3 single 8 1/2 x 11 PDFs for those. Is this a problem?

2. While I wrote up all the rules, scoring, game play, etc yesterday evening, I didn't get finish typing it up tonight (alas - my wife and kids came home while I was typing). Does that still count if I'm not revising game play, but simply typing what I've written by hand?

If both of those are ok I'll be uploading Dragon's Lair here soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joel

ad 1.) PDF sam should be able to help you .. the 2-files rule is meant as "1 document for rules, 1 for components and not another one with e.g. a list of components separated from the rules or even another one with pictures of your cat playing your game"

ad 2.) Well .. actually in the 24-hour-contest you are supposed to do EVERYTHING (including the typing) within ONE shift! I'd say, though, to provide concurrence to Sam, we can make an exception here

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Mayeski
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the extra give in the rules for a first time entry. Now I have to carve out some time to upload everything (I finished typing the rules between 2 & 3 am last night/this morning!). Hopefully I can upload it in the next day or so.

Dragon's Lair has a starting bidding component followed by action choices. You're raiding a dragon's lair using various items, and selling what you take from the lair in the open market where values will change based on other player's actions. There is some luck in the area of dice rolling, but a strong emphsis on strategic choice and timing to win.

This contest really showed that, for me, I spend equal parts in design, component creation and rule book write-up. Playtesting/rule tweeking and eratta is a whole different area that I should have left time for! As it is, I'll plan for that in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Mayeski
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, here it is: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B9FCwt4vFkNZTjZrSVZORzNJVF...

I did revise the rules some - as the original rules for the 24 hour contest had some omissions. Even the revised rules have some rough spots that need to be fixed for clarity, but free time to work on them will be hard to come by over the next few days, so I figured better to upload then miss July all together.

So for the contest the files are:
Dragons Lair - components.pdf
Dragons Lair - rules.pdf
(If you want the improved rules that is "...rules (rev1).pdf"

Thanks and I hope you enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cilantro V
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Starting the clock on my July entry!
Now if only I could pause time and finish all these design contests I've entered.
shake soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cilantro V
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Surprisingly I think I'm already done with the rules. Now to get them into a google docs format and do some quick artwork.

Drinks for Dragons is a dice game with a large negotiation aspect. Fans of Citadels, Werewolf, etc. will find a lot to like here.

As notable tea merchants in the heart of the Jade Empire, you must prepare a special brew each year to submit to the Dragon Emperor's new year tea ceremony. Required materials: 3 Dragon Dice are used communally, and 1 player board and 3 tea dice per player. Players: 3+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cilantro V
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Rules: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10yjlfriE36qfwggcwMqlSq2i...

Player Boards:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3b64KFTGkTkM05SRXZUQ2g4RWM

A couple things could still use tweaking if I can get to them in the morning; I'd like to change the checkmark on Garden 2 to a lock symbol, since that will likely read more easily. Also, I don't think I ever specified that the dice used were all to be 6 sided- I suppose the game would still be functional with 8,10, or 20-siders, but it would be a lot more frustrating. If anyone has enough 4-sided dice around to play a game I'd love to see the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting at 2:45pm PST 7/25/12.

Feel free to follow along in my real time blog:
http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/1681
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to post time I was starting blush

5:00pm PST 7/25/12
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I call enthusiasm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Land

Link to components:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/crdr8xzhz1u74mv/5KQ3YqVnWm/dragon...

Link to rules:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/crdr8xzhz1u74mv/iJBONc7R_w/Print%...

Final prototype printed:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Age
Links to Components and Rules:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1LW5DSpA9VMYVF5b1hLY3E4Uk0
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1LW5DSpA9VMb2FTcENiR283cW8

I really should have alloted myself more time for the rules. But I think for my first foray into game design I don't think I did that bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladies and gentlemen,

thank you for participating!

The list with your entries is here:
24 hour contest - July 2012

The winner will be determined by the end of this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.