Subject: Player elimination ??? -Not clear in my rules book rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be an inexplicably daft question for some of you pros, but I just played this for the first time tonight (really!) and a question arose that was not clear in the rules (1993 version).

When a player eliminates another and takes their Risk cards and is then required to turn some of them in and get bonus armies . . . does this then end their turn or can they take those bonus armies and then continue the same turn by attacking more?

I do not think they do, but others at the table said they must. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can then continue your turn. This creates a steamroller effect that often brings about the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
You can then continue your turn. This creates a steamroller effect that often brings about the end of the game.

Thanks, in spite of what my post said, that is how I thought it should go. Re-reading my post now, when I'm not bleary-eyed at 1:00 am after a multi-hour Risk-fest, I see that I wrote it wrong.

Our game went longer than necessary because the others insisted you had to wait uintil your next turn to use the armies gained from your opponent's elimination.

Is this explained in any other version's rulebook? I really don't see it in mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my rulebook is from the same era.

I think they didn't "explain it" because there was nothing to explain.

If eliminating a player resulted in your turn coming to an end, they would say "your turn then comes to an end." THEN there's something to expound upon.

There's only one thing that happens when you eliminate a player. And its exactly what they say. You get their cards. If you have 6+ cards, you must immediately do a set turn in.

Now, implicit in all rules: Resume where you left off.

But no, this is not some 1993 error that has been erattaed. You read it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Paul
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Fellow Risk players...Regarding player elimination. The ( 1980) rules say that after taking another player's cards if you are at 6+ then you must turn a set in so that you have 4 cards or fewer. One guy at the table had one card, conquered another player thus gaining 3 more cards to give him 4 total. In these 4 he had a match set and said he could turn them in for more armies. I said no because he didn't have 6 and therefore was not over the limit. What do some of you think?
Now this led to a second question. What if the conquered player had 4 cards which when added to the conquerer gave him 5? Does he turn a set in even though he's not at 6+? If not, then what happens when he collects his card at the end of his turn which NOW gives him 6? Since his turn seems to be over by virtue of collecting the card does he just hold those 6 cards until his next turn ( even though it appears he is over the 5 card limit)?
I'm leaning towards simply changing the rule to say that having 5+ cards requires a turn-in. Some thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.