Subject: Placing Influence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ike Evans
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
No thanks needed. I'm just your everyday galactic hero.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just got through my first game with a total of four players, and there was some confusion as to when influence can be placed on the board. After re-reading the rulebook, I have come to this conclusion.

You can place influence on an empty hex:

1) During an "explore" action where no ancients are on the explored hex.
2) During the "influence" action on a neighboring empty hex.
3) After winning a battle and destroying all enemy population hexes during the combat phase.

You CANNOT place influence:
1) During a "move" action where you move your ships into an empty hex.

Is my understanding incomplete in any way?

(BTW, the gaming experience was pretty $%^# awesome! We are all looking forward to game #2.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Lauke
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Sponsored by AR147
mb
Your understanding is complete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your understanding is almost correct. Just one little correction:

ikesteroma wrote:
3) After winning a battle and destroying all enemy population hexes during the combat phase.

Should be:

3) After the combat phase, if you have ships in the hex and there are no enemy influence discs.

This will usually be because you just won a battle and destroyed all enemy population (thus removing his influence), but it could also happen because you just flew a ship into an empty system and waited for the combat phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ike Evans
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
No thanks needed. I'm just your everyday galactic hero.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
Your understanding is almost correct. Just one little correction:

ikesteroma wrote:

Should be:

3) After the combat phase, if you have ships in the hex and there are no enemy influence discs.

This will usually be because you just won a battle and destroyed all enemy population (thus removing his influence), but it could also happen because you just flew a ship into an empty system and waited for the combat phase.

So I can "move" my ship into any empty hex and place an influence disk in there at the end of the combat phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ikesteroma wrote:
So I can "move" my ship into any empty hex and place an influence disk in there at the end of the combat phase?
Yes.

Also: I think you're overthinking it. Ships and discs have no memory of how or when they arrived in a hex, or -- once the Combat Phase is at its end and any damage counters have been cleared -- what happened before the current moment.

To quote from the English rulebook, 2nd Edition, p. 21 (emphasis mine): "At the end of the Combat Phase, if you have at least one Ship in a hex that has no population, remove the previous controller’s Influence Disc (returning it to his Influence Track). After this, you may place your own Influence Disc there. Also, if at the end of the Combat Phase your Ship is in a hex without an Influence Disc, you may place a disc there."

Note that it doesn't say "After a Combat in that hex" or even "after removing an opponent's Influence disc." All it says is "if at the end of the Combat Phase your Ship is in a hex without an Influence Disc, you may place a disc there." So the circumstances under which you may place that Disc have nothing to do with anything before that point in time. Only at that moment of "the end of the Combat Phase."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:

Note that it doesn't say "After a Combat in that hex" or even "after removing an opponent's Influence disc." All it says is "if at the end of the Combat Phase your Ship is in a hex without an Influence Disc, you may place a disc there." So the circumstances under which you may place that Disc have nothing to do with anything before that point in time. Only at that moment of "the end of the Combat Phase."

Cool. We did that wrong in our first 4 games. So if I move a ship into a hex with no influence and no one else moves into that hex, I can place an influence (and population) there before I collect my resources even if I have no influence discs in neighbouring sectors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.