Here I Stand» Forums » General

Subject: Burning Luther rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
I did the maths so you didn't have to. Eck against a committed Luther will burn the Reformer 0.5% of the time.

Jus' sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So that way it could be more historical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
In how many of your parallel universes did Eck burn Luther?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turbothy wrote:
In how many of your parallel universes did Eck burn Luther?

In about 0,5% of them, apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Post
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the odds are actually a tiny bit better. I've got:

.51% for getting 5 more hits than the Prot
.10% for getting 6 more hits
.01% for getting 7 more hits

for .61% all told, or in one out of every 164 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came within one hit in a face-to-face game recently. Luther (uncommitted!) only rolled one hit, while Eck got five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my last game, the Diet of Worms was five Protestant hits to zero, with the Prots rolling 7 dice and the Paps rolling 6. Throw those dice against an uncommitted Luther, and WHOOOSH!

On the other hand, give the Prots four electorates before the first impulse, and I got a T4 win for the unfashionably dressed Germans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
murcielago wrote:
I think the odds are actually a tiny bit better. I've got:

.51% for getting 5 more hits than the Prot
.10% for getting 6 more hits
.01% for getting 7 more hits

for .61% all told, or in one out of every 164 times.

Hi, Ben

I won't quibble over 0.1% - good to know that my calculations were more or less right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Burning Luther - sounds almost like it could be a 16th Century cocktail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
Burning Luther - sounds almost like it could be a 16th Century cocktail

Especially when Bloody Merry is just around the corner. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will W wrote:
And I was the Pope in this game.

The skewed Diet of Worms roll certainly helped, but what really gave this game to the Protestants was that the Hapsburg had no idea what he was doing. He never made any attempt to capture an electorate after a T3 S-League, and played Printing Press for ops when the Protestant had a hand of 8 cards on turn 4 (????!!!!)

It was almost worse than that. He offered to play Printing Press FOR THE EVENT if I met his price and left his road through Germany open. I almost had a deal to get PP played in exchange for my playing Halley's Comet against the Ottoman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will W wrote:

And I was the Pope in this game.

The skewed Diet of Worms roll certainly helped, but what really gave this game to the Protestants was that the Hapsburg had no idea what he was doing. He never made any attempt to capture an electorate after a T3 S-League, and played Printing Press for ops when the Protestant had a hand of 8 cards on turn 4 (????!!!!)

And me, as the Ottomans, bore the brunt of most of that! Oh well, I held my own dammit.

dr.mrow wrote:
It was almost worse than that. He offered to play Printing Press FOR THE EVENT if I met his price and left his road through Germany open. I almost had a deal to get PP played in exchange for my playing Halley's Comet against the Ottoman.

I'm glad I didn't know that at the time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
And me, as the Ottomans, bore the brunt of most of that! Oh well, I held my own dammit.

True, though he spent half of Turn 3 building that stupid highway through Bavaria. I still don't understand why you didn't grab Vienna then.

mkiefte wrote:
I'm glad I didn't know that at the time...

I was going to tip you off if he bought Halley from me, so you could fortify Buda and make it half-useless. The Prots don't want the Haps to actually beat the Turks. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 player game in wargameroom October 10, 2009:

Quote:
The Papacy plays the following card as an Event: #6 - Ops 3: Leipzig Debate (home card)

Call a Theological Debate. You can either specify your own debater or specify that one Protestant debater is not available during any round of this debate.

The Papacy calls a debate in the German language zone Papal debater: Eck(3) (specifically chosen due to Leipzig Debate) Protestant debater: Carlstadt(1) (randomly selected from the committed debaters)

The Protestants play the following card as an interrupt: #7 - Ops 5: Here I Stand (home card)

If Luther is alive, Protestant may exchange this card for any card in the discard pile, playing or holding that card OR If Luther is alive, Protestant may substitute Luther (even if committed) for any debater during any round of a debate in the German language zone and then draw a new card. Replaced debater becomes committed (if he wasn't already); Luther returns off-map after debate if he was excommunicated when debate was called.

Luther is inserted in the debate in Carlstadt's place The Protestants draw an extra card

Papal dice: 3(Eck), +3(attacking), +1(Eck attacking) = 7 dice
Protestant dice: 4(Luther), +1(defending while committed) = 5 dice

* Papal dice roll: 5, 5, 3, 5, 2, 6, 5 -- 5 hits

* Protestant dice roll: 1, 3, 3, 2, 4 -- 0 hits

The Papacy wins the debate, 5 to 0
* Luther is burned at the stake!!! **

* MSG FROM PROTESTANT: ARGH!

* MSG FROM ENGLAND: OHOHOHOHOHO

Msg to opponents: WOAH!!!!!

* MSG FROM PAPACY: Woooo

* MSG FROM PAPACY: So I guess this Prot game isn't going so good (edit: Prot had already converted all 6 electorates!)

* MSG FROM PROTESTANT: WTF!!!

* MSG FROM ENGLAND: ouch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Post
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1989Game wrote:
Quote:
The Papacy wins the debate, 5 to 0
* Luther is burned at the stake!!! **

* MSG FROM PROTESTANT: ARGH!

Do you know who ended up winning the game? It'd be pretty spectacular if Protestantism could rise phoenix-like from Luther's ashes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr.mrow wrote:

True, though he spent half of Turn 3 building that stupid highway through Bavaria. I still don't understand why you didn't grab Vienna then.

Honestly, because I told him I wouldn't.

What I did do is grab Trieste, so he had a way to sue for peace with me. So I followed the letter of our agreement and gave us both an exit strategy. All he had to do was sue for peace with me and go after the Protestants and that was the nature of our negotiations. However, he didn't actually sue for peace in the end, so I hunkered down to ride out the turn.

And that was pretty much the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will W wrote:

It was a smart strategy on your part. I spent almost the entire diplomacy phase of turn 4 prodding him not to sue for peace, because I thought that if he did, you would come after me with your gigantic army. I didn't remotely imagine that by keeping you two at war I was giving the game to my archenemy the Protestants.

I thought it was either you or the French that somehow convinced him not to follow through. I worked pretty hard to sew mistrust of the French. That wasn't really going to work with the Papacy. But yes, I was going to squash you like a bug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Miller
msg tools
Getty, Kiefte and Walker. I would play another game with you boys in a heartbeat. Awesome talent and fun, chatty opponents.

I was Frenchie in this game, in possession of a captured Henry VIII when the game ended - shame. Poor HRE. He was in over his head. He wanted ME to sue for peace just because he captured Lyons in turn three. If he turned around to address the six Protestant electorates or the Ottoman marching toward Vienna, I was in a marvelous position to recapture Lyons and take Metz. But Luther preached to victory before that could come to pass. Well played.

When's the next game? VQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadnaught wrote:
Getty, Kiefte and Walker. I would play another game with you boys in a heartbeat. Awesome talent and fun, chatty opponents.

Well, keep me in mind, but I'm currently in no less than three games of VQ.

Speaking of in over my head....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.