Subject: The Tangentially-Related Curiosity Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just post all your web links in a single thread or blog and then everyone else's subscriptions aren't clogged up with stuff like 'My Little Pony Party' and 'The Healing Power of Pets'?

That way those that are interested can subscribe to your analysis-free internet link spamming, and everyone else on BGG can get their subscription notifications under control.

How about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: The Analoggamer Curiosity Thread
If you have a problem with Analoggamer, please take it to PM or the mods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Tangentally-related Curiosity Thread
jurdj wrote:
If you have a problem with Analoggamer, please take it to PM or the mods.

Ok fine. I'll expand it to 'those who post tangential content'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: The Tangentally-related Curiosity Thread
You don't post a bloody thing of worth yourself so park that holier than thou high horse, either contribute or leave us be.

-RG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rgordon44 wrote:
You don't post a bloody thing of worth yourself so park that holier than thou high horse, either contribute or leave us be.

-RG

I understand that as a fan of tangential weblink posting yourself, that must have cut close to the bone, but rest assured that I hadn't even seen this morning's link to 'Is War Good for the Movie Industry' when I issued this plea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this should be a discussion about procedures rather than personalities, in which case we should be able to do so with no need for hard feelings.

I have to confess that when I looked at this forum last night, my first thought was "I'm here to read about games - I am capable of browsing the rest of the internet without assistance." That's despite having enjoyed, thumbed and tipped similar threads in the past when I've found them interesting.

I guess for me it's a question of frequency. Seeing one or two such threads appear in a week has never bothered me, but seeing half a dozen at once made me react negatively. I don't come to BGG to see what others surf for elsewhere; I enjoy the occasional nugget, but balk at a cubic yard.

I think a dedicated 'Interesting Links' forum would be a good solution. People could post external links they think the rest of us might find interesting there. The main Wargaming folder would have a tighter focus, and those interested in the external links would have ready access to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Given the situation that has erupted in the past 24 hours or so, I believe consideration of post frequency is in order.

I myself post such threads, but only from time to time and only if there is a possible interest from a historical/military perspective (and more or less directly themed). As Sphere mentions, we can all surf the web.

For me, it is impolite to bombard this Subforum with too many such links and to do so one right after the other. For that matter, we wargamers share this space with others. I don't go and poop in a public park* and I expect others to refrain themselves from same.

The last thing we need is to stir up the whole AWOL controversy again. Or to cause nonwargamers to consider it.

*Tempting though that might be... whistle

EDIT: Actually, it is impolite to bombard any of the site's spaces (Forums, Geeklists, etc) with rapid posts. Just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
What would be nice is that if you had someone on ignore, it would also ignore completely the threads created by that hypothetical person. I mean generally speaking you know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
rgordon44 wrote:

-RG

I take it you haven't seen HarlemMimeSchool's frankly brilliant series of Operation Sealion maps and scenarios for Combat Commander: Europe then? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
Why not just post all your web links in a single thread or blog and then everyone else's subscriptions aren't clogged up with stuff like 'My Little Pony Party' and 'The Healing Power of Pets'?

That way those that are interested can subscribe to your analysis-free internet link spamming, and everyone else on BGG can get their subscription notifications under control.

How about it?

This is in fact a good idea, for everyone. It's actually much better for people who like posting links of the sort under discussion to have them gathered under one thread/geeklist or whatever. Fans of links like this would be able to see how the link posters' themes developed over time; plus the regular renewal of the thread/geeklist, etc. with newly-posted links would generate new readers of older links and keep alive discussions of those older links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found most of the posts to be interesting, though not directly related to wargaming. Maybe there should be a separate forum... oh, wait...laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking for myself I can say that I'm pretty au fait with the kind of thing that Mr.Analog posts so all I do is peruse his usually self-explanatory headings and check out what ever sounds like it's going to interest me and ignore the rest...many of his posts have generated some quite interesting discussion in the past..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always remove the offending user(s) from your Subscription list.

Otherwise, you just have to take the bad with the good until BGG's next big upgrade.

Is he updating 3-year old entries on YOUR Geeklists, too? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
The Grinch wrote:
I found most of the posts to be interesting, though not directly related to wargaming. Maybe there should be a separate forum... oh, wait...laugh

Clearly we have a Fifth Column at work within the BGG wargamer community. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this is what happens when I go away for the long weekend.

I try to keep an easy going approach to moderation of our forum. Rest assured that if you flag something, I will see it in due course.

As a reminder for everyone, the general forum is intended for wargame hobby related discussion, which includes some things that are not necessarily about games but of interest to wargamers. Usually this is historical discussion, and I tend to leave that stuff alone.

If anyone has specific concerns about, please geekmail me privately.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgordon44 wrote:

Unless I'm confused, you are claiming that HarlemMimeSchool hasn't posted anything of worth? Seriously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, 'money where yer mouth is' time: I've started this Geeklist based on my own suggestion above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.