Here I Stand» Forums » General

Subject: Five-Player - EN/Prot the best tag team? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know that HIS wasn't designed primarily for 5-P, but I wonder if the rules' suggested pairings are the best. We played a 5-P today and the Prots and English dovetailed easily, happily playing cards for each other just so that one of them won.

One might respond that in a multi-player game the other four powers simply should be able to easily gang up and stop an EN or Prot victory - but it didn't seem that easy. Would a better solution be to take another of the 3-P pairings - ie, OT/FR or HP/Pope - and make that the 5-P tag team? These other pairings rarely attack each other in 6-P but do not have similar aims, so there would be less dovetailing.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
In my (admittedly limited - two FtF games) experience, Habs/Pope make for a better balanced pairing. But if at all possible, then let an experienced player take the Prots.

Ottoman + France means the Habsburg will have a very, very hard time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leveille
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Get your game on!
badge
You know you want to play with purple, don't you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I think that the English/Protestant combination is very powerful and can allow for an easy victory by either power. I think it might be better to do the Hapsburg/Papacy, since the Hapsburgs are still pretty spread out and those two powers really need to work together in order to fend off the Protestants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Bonander
Sweden
flag msg tools
I think that the combination England/Ottoman could function relatively well. The two nations are quite far from each other and thus have a harder time reinforcing each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
"Grant me that divorce for free or the Sultan will sack Rome ..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack S.
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
We like to do Hapsburg/Pope and Ottoman/Protestant, but we also expect players to play the nations independently. The biggest drawback to the Ott/Prot grouping is that one player ends up playing for quite a while since they're both rolling a lot of dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bright
United Kingdom
Unspecified
London
flag msg tools
Habsburgs/Papacy is the best tag team in 5player I think because they ally after the Schmalkaldic League anyway; the effect is only that they stop being at war for whatever odd reason. All the Pope can do militarily is deploy a catholic unit or two through Habsburg lands to effect the reformation.

They have the advantage of not working to the same objectives - England and Protestant religous victory - while not having a conflict of interest. I think perhaps normally the Habsburgs would activate Genoa or Venice themselves if they had the respective cards, whereas if you're controlling both, then it's in your interests for one power - the Papacy - to be Master of Italy for the potential VP's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.