Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

Im picking this up at a con this week, and i just have a few questions.

1. Do I need the deathzone expansion? Especially if im not planning a league only local 2 player random games?

2. Can anyone explain what i will be missing by not playing in a league? Also anything i can add to regular games that would normally only be done in a league but that might work for myself and my gf playing regularly over time?

3. Can i use the figs that come with the game to represent any of the teams in the lrb?

Thanks for any help Im very interested in giving this game a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Stick with the LRB, even for league play. Parts of Deathzone are nice, but it's unnecessary.

2. You'll learn a lot by being exposed to the various teams and strategies in league play. Far more than just playing at home. Check out FUMBBL for online play if you're interested in checking out what a league can offer.

3. To a degree. You can use the Human team as a stand-in things like Elf, Nurgle, and Norse teams (that have a similar team setup), but some of the teams like Halflings and Goblins have such a different mix of player types that it may get confusing. So long as you keep notes on what's what it'll work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyvm!! Any suggestions on finding local leagues? Or should i stick to fumbbl considering how scarce those possibilities may be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FUMBBL site has a listing of players by location, and you can contact them by PM through the site. Hopefully, that'll lead you to a face-to-face league.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!! Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way to try and find a local league (which I'd recommend, it as it adds so much to the game) is to make up some fliers and hang in your local game store(s).

That's how the local league here got started -- someone interested talked to a local store owner, hung up some fliers, and we're now going into season five of our local weekly league.

Alternatively, forums at The Naf and Talk Fantasy Football may be good places to go to look for local players.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the flyer thing did you find guys who had their own copies of the game? Or is it enough to just have the one im getting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Esser
United States
Dubuque
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
~~~As others have said, DeathZone is nice, but not absolutely necessary....I'm particularly fond of the use of the cards so you have something to keep yer opponents looking at when you randomly pick them up & start reading them. But the LRB is the way to go. And the main thing about the league rules is the progression of players thru star player points. Even if it is just you & one or two friends playing, it is more fun to track the progress of your team and watch them get better & more dastardly. This was the key factor in our starting a small league at my house. people didn't like just playing with a cookie cutter team every time. so adding the star player progression made people love playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes a lot of sense. I guess theres no reason you cant have a league of 2. The progression is what matters. Which version of the lrb should i go by? Ive dl'd ver. 5 but i see there is a ver. 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost everything rules-wise in Deathzone is represented in LRB5.0, though there are some nice bits in DZ that add to the visual element of the game. I got a copy of DZ mostly for the bits, myself.

LRB5.0 is the last rulebook recognized by Games Workshop as an official set of rules, now dubbed "Rules of Competition", or some such. It can be downloaded from GW's website if you want the official rulebook for the game. LRB6 was poo-pooed by GW, though there are plenty of folks who use it anyway. LRB6 also contains three new races that are not officialy part of the game, and this is the biggest single change from LRB5.x.

Another way to get into some cool league play is via the PC/XBOX-360 version of Bloodbowl, now known as "Legendary Bloodbowl". The nice thing about the video game version is that it contains all the various races and supports online league play, which has been fairly popular. However, online teams are not available for the SP game, and vice-versa.

You can play against your GF in hotseat mode, using any of the races, each having several teams to choose from. Lastly, you can play the SP game in league format, build up a good team over a season or two against the AI, and then export that team to hotseat mode. The teams do not progress in hotseat mode, but it is fun to play a team you built up from rookies to pros against all the other teams in hotseat play, either against a friend, or the AI. Note that your team will continue to progress in SP mode, even after exporting it to hotseat mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Asplund
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OliverOil wrote:

2. Can anyone explain what i will be missing by not playing in a league? Also anything i can add to regular games that would normally only be done in a league but that might work for myself and my gf playing regularly over time?

You can treat it as a league by collecting star player points and new skills. I personally think one of the main draws of this game is to "level up" your players and get new skills over time.
The rules have a handicap system if things get too much out of line (it's definitely not perfect, but helps a little).

OliverOil wrote:

3. Can i use the figs that come with the game to represent any of the teams in the lrb?

What we did in my group was to play with the plastics for a while until we figured out what teams we liked, and the setup we were mostly happy with. Then we ventured to ebay to find used painted teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dashiell Pinar
France
Barnave
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just to add, the LRB 6 isn't poo-pooed by GW, "Rules of Competition" = LRB 6 without the 3 new unofficial races but those teams are played in every BB competition and accepted by the NAF and competitions use LRB 6.

like Tobias said, a solution to play skilled teams is to play an open league, for 2 regular players it's a good solution, you just have to keep track of every team you play and that's all.

We have done that with friends a league and an open league for those who want to play more games.

you can also use the "competition system" you play a game with 1.100.000 golds instead of 1.000.000 and 5 skills
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.