Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Defenders of the Realm» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ability Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alphonso McCutchen
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Hi! I've been playing Defenders of the Realm for a few months, and here are some questions my group has come up with:

The Sorceress's Visions ability reads: "Gain 1 extra die for any Quest rolls and for any Healing of Tainted Lands."
Suppose the Sorceress has a quest to defeat minions, such as Undead Hunter (Defeat 4 Undead) or Raids (Defeat 1 of each Minion). Would the Sorceress get an extra die with which to attack those minions since she's doing so in order to complete a quest? Does the Visions ability apply to rewards also? For example, upon completing the Elf Envoy quest, would the Sorceress defeat 2d6 minions instead of 1d6 minions?

Balazarg's combat skill reads: "Players must roll a die for each card to be played prior to the battle. Discard a card for each 1 rolled."
Would a player need to roll a die in order to use the reward from the Find Magic Gate Quest Card (Discard this Quest Card to add 2 dice to any combat roll, including a battle against a General)?

The Unicorn Steed Quest Card reads: "Travel to the Unicorn Forest and entice a unicorn to become your steed. Spend 1 action per die you roll. A roll of 5 or 6 on any of the dice succeeds."
I understand that since this quest isn't discarded upon failure, a player can spend an unlimited number of actions to attempt this quest. Does the player spend these actions all at once or one at a time? In order words, would a player commit four actions prior to rolling 4d6--or can the player commit one action and see the result before continuing his or her attempts? How many additional dice does the Sorceress get--one per individual action, or one for the quest as a whole?

The Paladin's Noble Steed ability reads: "May spend an action to travel on horseback (2 spaces) without discarding a Horse travel card."
Does the Paladin have access to this movement even when he doesn't already have a Horse travel card? The ability says he doesn't have to discard the card, not that he doesn't need one in the first place.

The Seeker's Confound Enemy ability reads: "The Seeker may spend 1 action while at a location with enemy minions and move 1 or more of those minions to any adjacent location(s)."

Does the Seeker spend only one action regardless of how many minions are moved and how many locations those minions are moved to?

The Assassin's Sneak Attack ability reads: "When attacking enemy minions for the first time, discard 1 minion prior to rolling the attack dice."
Does the Sneak Attack affect how many dice are rolled during the attack? For example, suppose the Assassin is attacking three Dragonkin. Prior to rolling her three dice, the Assassin defeats one Dragonkin. Does she continue her attack with three dice?

The Assassin's Deathblow ability reads: "When in a group that is attacking a General, the Assassin may choose when she will attack. If an attack (group or solo Assassin) on the General falls 1 would short of slaying the General, the Assassin gains an additional attack of 1 die, adding +1 to this final die result."
Suppose three Heroes are attacking a General, and the first Hero's attack leaves the General with one wound left. If the Assassin chooses to attack next, would her Deathblow activate? Or does Deathblow not activate until all three Heroes have attacked, including the Assassin herself?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
notthephonz wrote:
Hi! I've been playing Defenders of the Realm for a few months, and here are some questions my group has come up with:

The Sorceress's Visions ability reads: "Gain 1 extra die for any Quest rolls and for any Healing of Tainted Lands."
Suppose the Sorceress has a quest to defeat minions, such as Undead Hunter (Defeat 4 Undead) or Raids (Defeat 1 of each Minion). Would the Sorceress get an extra die with which to attack those minions since she's doing so in order to complete a quest? Does the Visions ability apply to rewards also? For example, upon completing the Elf Envoy quest, would the Sorceress defeat 2d6 minions instead of 1d6 minions?

To the best of my knowledge, the Sorceress does not get an extra die to attack the minions. Her skill is involved in a die roll necessary to complete the quest, not to kill a minion.

Balazarg's combat skill reads: "Players must roll a die for each card to be played prior to the battle. Discard a card for each 1 rolled."
Would a player need to roll a die in order to use the reward from the Find Magic Gate Quest Card (Discard this Quest Card to add 2 dice to any combat roll, including a battle against a General)?

Yes.

The Unicorn Steed Quest Card reads: "Travel to the Unicorn Forest and entice a unicorn to become your steed. Spend 1 action per die you roll. A roll of 5 or 6 on any of the dice succeeds."
I understand that since this quest isn't discarded upon failure, a player can spend an unlimited number of actions to attempt this quest. Does the player spend these actions all at once or one at a time? In order words, would a player commit four actions prior to rolling 4d6--or can the player commit one action and see the result before continuing his or her attempts? How many additional dice does the Sorceress get--one per individual action, or one for the quest as a whole?

You get one chance to complete the quest. So, you decide how many actions you are willing to spend and then add one more for the Sorceress.

The Paladin's Noble Steed ability reads: "May spend an action to travel on horseback (2 spaces) without discarding a Horse travel card."
Does the Paladin have access to this movement even when he doesn't already have a Horse travel card? The ability says he doesn't have to discard the card, not that he doesn't need one in the first place.

The Paladin has his own horse; no card is needed.

The Seeker's Confound Enemy ability reads: "The Seeker may spend 1 action while at a location with enemy minions and move 1 or more of those minions to any adjacent location(s)."

Does the Seeker spend only one action regardless of how many minions are moved and how many locations those minions are moved to?

One action to move 1+ minions.

The Assassin's Sneak Attack ability reads: "When attacking enemy minions for the first time, discard 1 minion prior to rolling the attack dice."
Does the Sneak Attack affect how many dice are rolled during the attack? For example, suppose the Assassin is attacking three Dragonkin. Prior to rolling her three dice, the Assassin defeats one Dragonkin. Does she continue her attack with three dice?

The Assassin kills one minion without a die roll; the player then rolls dice equal to the number of remaining minions.

The Assassin's Deathblow ability reads: "When in a group that is attacking a General, the Assassin may choose when she will attack. If an attack (group or solo Assassin) on the General falls 1 would short of slaying the General, the Assassin gains an additional attack of 1 die, adding +1 to this final die result."
Suppose three Heroes are attacking a General, and the first Hero's attack leaves the General with one wound left. If the Assassin chooses to attack next, would her Deathblow activate? Or does Deathblow not activate until all three Heroes have attacked, including the Assassin herself?

The player can activate the Assassin's special ability whenever the criteria are met. In this case, she can attack immediately after the first hero.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
notthephonz wrote:
The Unicorn Steed Quest Card reads: "Travel to the Unicorn Forest and entice a unicorn to become your steed. Spend 1 action per die you roll. A roll of 5 or 6 on any of the dice succeeds."
I understand that since this quest isn't discarded upon failure, a player can spend an unlimited number of actions to attempt this quest. Does the player spend these actions all at once or one at a time? In order words, would a player commit four actions prior to rolling 4d6--or can the player commit one action and see the result before continuing his or her attempts? How many additional dice does the Sorceress get--one per individual action, or one for the quest as a whole?


You get one chance to complete the quest. So, you decide how many actions you are willing to spend and then add one more for the Sorceress.

I have to disagree on this one, which is covered in the DotR FAQ. The Unicorn and War Banner quests can be attempted multiple times, with each attempt requiring a single action. With the Sorceress, you'd get an extra die when making each attempt.
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Aging One wrote:
notthephonz wrote:
The Unicorn Steed Quest Card reads: "Travel to the Unicorn Forest and entice a unicorn to become your steed. Spend 1 action per die you roll. A roll of 5 or 6 on any of the dice succeeds."
I understand that since this quest isn't discarded upon failure, a player can spend an unlimited number of actions to attempt this quest. Does the player spend these actions all at once or one at a time? In order words, would a player commit four actions prior to rolling 4d6--or can the player commit one action and see the result before continuing his or her attempts? How many additional dice does the Sorceress get--one per individual action, or one for the quest as a whole?


You get one chance to complete the quest. So, you decide how many actions you are willing to spend and then add one more for the Sorceress.

I have to disagree on this one, which is covered in the DotR FAQ. The Unicorn and War Banner quests can be attempted multiple times, with each attempt requiring a single action. With the Sorceress, you'd get an extra die when making each attempt.


That's what I get for trying to do this from memory and not checking the FAQ. blush
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
That's what I get for trying to do this from memory and not checking the FAQ. blush

I know the feeling - I've done the same thing too many times.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alphonso McCutchen
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for your help! I wasn't expecting such quick responses!

Aging One wrote:
notthephonz wrote:
The Assassin's Deathblow ability reads: "When in a group that is attacking a General, the Assassin may choose when she will attack. If an attack (group or solo Assassin) on the General falls 1 wound short of slaying the General, the Assassin gains an additional attack of 1 die, adding +1 to this final die result."
Suppose three Heroes are attacking a General, and the first Hero's attack leaves the General with one wound left. If the Assassin chooses to attack next, would her Deathblow activate? Or does Deathblow not activate until all three Heroes have attacked, including the Assassin herself?

The player can activate the Assassin's special ability whenever the criteria are met. In this case, she can attack immediately after the first hero.


Whoops, I didn't quite ask the question I meant to ask here. The Assassin's Deathblow actually has two parts: 1) the Assassin gets to choose her placement in the attack order, and 2) the Assassin gets an extra die with a +1 bonus when the attack falls one wound short of slaying the General. My question pertains to the second part of the ability.

In my example, three Heroes are attacking the General. The first Hero leaves the General with one wound left. Can the Assassin immediately use the second part of her Deathblow ability in order to roll a bonus die against the General? Does the bonus die happen during her turn to attack? Or does she have to wait until all Heroes, including herself, have attacked?

Basically, my difficulty is with the phrase "an attack on the General." I'm not sure if "an attack" refers to an individual Hero's attack or to the team's attack as a whole.

Oh, here's another question. The Rumors at the Inn action reads: "A hero may spend up to 2 actions at an Inn to listen for rumors. When doing so, call out a card color (Red, Green, Blue, or Black) and draw 2 cards for each action spent listening for rumors. Keep all cards that match the called color, as as well as any Purple (Special) cards that were drawn."
Is it possible for the Wizard to spend two actions listening for rumors at one inn, teleport to another inn, and spend two more actions listening for rumors again?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
notthephonz wrote:
In my example, three Heroes are attacking the General. The first Hero leaves the General with one wound left. Can the Assassin immediately use the second part of her Deathblow ability in order to roll a bonus die against the General? Does the bonus die happen during her turn to attack? Or does she have to wait until all Heroes, including herself, have attacked?

Basically, my difficulty is with the phrase "an attack on the General." I'm not sure if "an attack" refers to an individual Hero's attack or to the team's attack as a whole.

It's only one attack, with three heroes participating. You don't know if the attack has fallen short until everybody gets their ups.


notthephonz wrote:
Oh, here's another question. The Rumors at the Inn action reads: "A hero may spend up to 2 actions at an Inn to listen for rumors. When doing so, call out a card color (Red, Green, Blue, or Black) and draw 2 cards for each action spent listening for rumors. Keep all cards that match the called color, as as well as any Purple (Special) cards that were drawn."
Is it possible for the Wizard to spend two actions listening for rumors at one inn, teleport to another inn, and spend two more actions listening for rumors again?

The two actions limit is per turn, not per Inn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alphonso McCutchen
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be back at some point in the future as other situations arise. =)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.