Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Salay
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My good friend recently bit the bullet and opened a 3rd edition Talisman (reprinted by GW, Thin Box Main Set) and found an unexpected bonus. He wanted me to paint a couple of the minis but found out that all of them were painted!

We did a little research thru old issues of White Dwarf and found that the minis shown thru Talisman write ups or Toy Box Plastic mini releases that they are indeed the same figs shown! Only the Wizard looks like it was half completed but all are painted and sealed within the game.

Could it be the GW had a heart and was cleaning house at the time to make a Talisman fanatic excited?

I'll post some pics shortly on it but I think BGG will decline it becuase of the resolution.

Any Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st. Awesome snag if they're a good paint job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Salay
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thought it was too! He was a very happy camper. I wonder if GW is doing that with 40k? Nah..... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate to say it... but you may have purchased a used copy that someone had resealed.

Several years ago I picked up a "office playtest" copy of a game. It was shrinkwrapped. And some expansions shrinkwrapped... with player notes written in the booklet when opened...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Salay
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It would have to be a great used copy.. All items were sealed and the cones were unpunched.... Toad Tokens unpunched...

Even if it was, it was a great "office playtest"! The figs painted were quite amazing!

No notes in there...Unfortunately. To him it was a great find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
balsak40 wrote:
It would have to be a great used copy.. All items were sealed and the cones were unpunched.... Toad Tokens unpunched...

Even if it was, it was a great "office playtest"! The figs painted were quite amazing!

No notes in there...Unfortunately. To him it was a great find.

heh, most of my copy is still unpunched.

Painted minis in the box though is the tip off, especially since one was not finished. Someone probably picked up the game, started in on painting and at some point probably lost their gaming group, or moved on to other games.

You'll likely never know. So just enjoy the bonus of, hopefully, well painted minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
balsak40 wrote:

I'll post some pics shortly on it but I think BGG will decline it becuase of the resolution.

Upload them to your personal gallery here on BGG and link to them in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Salay
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll have them up later tonight. Let me now what you think Jon.

Thx
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Salay
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok Jon,

Here's some pics! See the link below. His wife took some shots.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/10295
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit difficult to say, and I doubt we will ever know, but my initial thought is that these are not from GW.

It seems more likely to be a store copy of a game that someone used as a project to paint up, or even a copy that someone bought to paint up and sell on. You see it sometimes when something new, like Dreadfleet or Space Hulk, comes out. People tend to want to jump straight into a game, and what better way than buying a set that is already painted up.

As to the possibility of being a development copy or something, it is very unlikely given that there was no development necessary for the reprinted 3rd Edition. GW didn't even have the correct files to print the game and some of the components are printed from scans of the original files.

All that said however, it really is a nice find and definitely a bonus to find your set already painted up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Salay
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback Jon, he's a happy player never the less!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.