15 Posts

Europe Engulfed» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fortress attack rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Raven
msg tools
Hi all,

I'm a fairly new player, and having trouble getting my head around the rules for attacking fortresses (Gibralta at the moment). It seems to me that they are very hard (or even prohibitively hard) to take. With Gibralta the attacker can bring 2 units to 1, with GSU, but the chances of taking out a 4 pip unit arent all that great?

Am I right that if you fail to take the fortress in the first combat round, you really cant reinforce the combat by special action unless you've lost at least one unit, and then you have to use a SA to op move, then another to continue the attack. But you can continue with the forces you have there?

Am I also correct that if the defender is a 4 pip armour he has a +2 advantage against attacking armour (from the fortress) and +3 against infantry (including the armour bonus)?

And finally, is it right that your opponent can then either reinforce the defender on his turn to max, or op move it out by sea and replace it with another?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not prohibitively hard, in practice, you will find they can be taken. Usually you bring one 4-pip Inf and one 4-pip Arm into the fort, with a GSU, and do a normal attack the first roung, with avg luck the defender will put 2 hits on one of your blocks, leaving the other full-strength for the GSU, you should likewise do 2 hits back at him.

If it goes as predicted, you can go again or even assault.

If not, abort and try again next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Raven
msg tools
Thanks mate. I assaulted the first 2 times I tried, so maybe that was part of my problem. Are all my other assumptions about rules right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They look right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Westermark
msg tools
mb
I've got two questions about fortresses:
1. Can I replace mys teps in a fortress that is contested?
2. Can I use SA's to perform breakthrough combat phases in contested fortresses before any overstacked attacking units are withdrawn to the surrounding area?

Also, since I'm unable to post new threads for some reason, here's no. 3 about GSU's:
3. Do GSU's count as units for area control purpouses? DO they convert an area by moving through it/ending their move (assuming the areas contain no enemy units of course).

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Only if you spend the Special Action.

2. Yes

3. No
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Westermark
msg tools
mb
Thanks so much Rick.

Does 3. mean that a friendly GSU can pass through/end its movement in enemy controlled areas (that don't contain units) and those area still remain in the enemys controll?
If so, can the enemy produce new units in areas containing my GSUs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. GSU's can fly over enemy areas but must finish move in a friendly area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Westermark
msg tools
mb
Hey! Two quick ones :]

1. What happens when enemy units enter an area containing my GSU? Do they have to end their movement (and destroy the GSU in the combat phase), or is the GSU automatically destroyed and the units can continue on (if they're tanks or cavalry)?

2. Can GSUs fly over enemy zones containing only enemy GSUs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The GSU is destroyed and the ground unit can keep moving.

2) yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Westermark
msg tools
mb
Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Westermark
msg tools
mb
I think I may have gotten the fortress rules wrong after all...
Say an Italian infantry unit is in Tobruk.
The Britts control the surrounding area. They attack Tobruk with two units. The Italian unit is not destroyed and the combat phase ends.
What happens now?
Does one british unit retreat to the surrounding area while the other one stays and contests the fort, or do both retreat?
Can 2 units from different army stay in a fort box after combat is resolved?
Or does the attacking player have a choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Harding
United Kingdom
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
One of the British units remains in the fort since that is the stacking limit for Tobruk. If both survived, the other (and GSU, if one was used) returns to Marmarica presuming it is Allied controlled and uncontested, otherwise the second block and any GSU are destroyed.

If the Axis later declare combat in Tobruk the surviving British unit there does get the fort bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Westermark
msg tools
mb
In this example, the units are destroyed as they can't move from one contested area to another, correct?
Thank you for your answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Harding
United Kingdom
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
That's right. It doesn't matter often since attackers can't come from the surrounding area unless they have uncontested control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.