Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steve brown
United States
Lowell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played this game once, and enjoyed it. I just have one question more along the theme of game: What's the difference between conquering and colonizing? I know the difference in how they are played, but in terms of a thematic perspective, you have one of two choices to make over an alien world. On one hand, you can send a fleet against it, which seems to imply that there are hostile forces occupying it that need to be conquered. On the other hand, you can start to colonize it, which implies that the planet is empty, at least empty enough that bringing your people to it would lead to it's being controlled without the need of your fleet So which is it? Are they occupied already or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Maylott
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I have always viewed the thematic elements to the way explorers discovered new lands.

1) Send in an army and take over the existing infrastructure. This is how I view warfare, sending in an fleet of ships to overrun the planets defences.

2) Send a diplomatic envoy to set up a trading post / port. You send some people for some space, then have your own people organise the import and export of goods for mutual benefit. I see colonies doing the same job. They are a group of your people who will learn to interact with the new planet.

Curious to hear how the designers approach the thematic explanantion of the difference in roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
psmaylott wrote:
Personally I have always viewed the thematic elements to the way explorers discovered new lands.

1) Send in an army and take over the existing infrastructure. This is how I view warfare, sending in an fleet of ships to overrun the planets defences.

2) Send a diplomatic envoy to set up a trading post / port. You send some people for some space, then have your own people organise the import and export of goods for mutual benefit. I see colonies doing the same job. They are a group of your people who will learn to interact with the new planet.

Curious to hear how the designers approach the thematic explanantion of the difference in roles.

I think of it more like the Civ comp games. You can take it over by force with your armies or you peacefully settle nearby and convince them to join your empire because of your different advantages in culture, technology, trade, etc. The colonies you put under a planet represent how much influence your people have on the planet already through immigrating there. The "pivotal" colony (the role or action you use to flip a planet) represents the moment when the planets leaders decide to join your empire. Without X amount of prior influence or examples of why they should they remain unflipped (undecided).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no thematic sense.

Something requiring a large standing army to invade requires a few colonies?

Something requiring LOTS of colonies is easier to take over with a few military ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes perfect thematic sense to me.

There's a planet. It has a population and a military force. You can choose one of two routes in order to tap it's resources;

1) you can send in your military, fight it out, and subjugate the population. Those are generally planets with smaller military forces (smaller military number and larger colonize number). The larger colonize number suggests that the planet would not freely choose to trade with you and will take alot to woo into your Galactic Domain. Perhaps they don't have a centralized government. Perhaps they are xenophobic. The military route will be the most efficient way to go.

2) you can set up diplomatic ties with the planet, establish trade, swap technologies, and invite the population as a free-willed people into your Galactic Domain. Those planets generally have the larger military number and smaller colonize number. The larger military number suggests that the planet has a large/more advanced military force and will require you to deploy more military forces in order to conquer them and give you access to their resources. Colonizing and strong mutually beneficial diplomatic relations would be the most efficient way to go.

Regardless of how you accomplish it, the more planets you can bring into your Galactic Domain, the more influence you will exert on the galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes sense that some planets would have larger armies and that some planets would more or less interested in diplomatic relations. It might simply take more colonies to create an atmosphere you can survive in on the planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think of it this way - primitive vs advanced civilizations existing on the planets before your arrival.

Primitive populations - More likely to be scared/intimidated/xenophobic, therefore it takes more colonies to win them over and convince them you are ok. Or maybe their communication system is not that good, so more colonies are needed to spread the word about you around the planet. Or perhaps the planet is divided into numerous "sects" or countries, so landing in the alien US doesn't do much to win over the alien Russians. However, since they only have spears and rocks for weapons, it doesn't take much to just subjugate them militarily.

Advanced populations - More likely to be exposed to the great wide universe and more confident in themselves, and more likely to have good communications and a large central government or organization. More likely to see the benefit of teaming up with other planets in a galactic empire. Therefore, it takes relatively few colonies to convince them to join up. However, since they are advanced, they have good defenses and will be hard to just outright conquer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.