Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Yu
United States
el segundo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How are people painting this? are you painting all the units in 1 color scheme and allowing the flag color to distinguish them? Or are people making 2 armies with different color schemes?

Also - I asume that I SHOULD NOT glue the little flag into the back of each figure in a unit as it seems I will have to switch them depending on scenario requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an earlier thread on the subject with some useful Painting Suggestions.

As to your questions. My current plan is to paint the Takeda clan in black armor, but make the other army the Ii clan and paint them in their signature red armor. Unfortunately, based on the C&C scenarios the armies will be mixed and one will have to use the sashimono (the back banner) to distinguish alignment.

Mr. Brian Philips has a gaming blog and the following link shows his painting skills on the Ii Clan. They look like 28mm historicals and it would be difficult to get that same detail on the Zvezda figures. I won't even try. I've painted 28mm samurai before and that was tough enough: at 20mm one goes for the arm's length rule. If it looks good at arm's length, you're done.

And yes, don't glue the sashimono, you'll need to switch them based on the scenarios, unless you bought two sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the need for units sometimes being on one side and sometimes the other, I'm going to give them a generic paint job overall and try to copy the CCA sticker standard of having some high-lights identify the troop class they are...so the heavies would have some elements of red, mediums blue, etc.

I do wish they had picked another color but red for one side's sashimono.
Black (versus yellow) would have been nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn Cairo
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mb
If folks wish to go overboard on historical heraldry and such, the following thread is probably the best on the internet. It doesn't just cover just sashimono, but also uma-jirushi, ko uma-jirushi, nobori and horo as well. It's a goldmine. But this may be more for the miniatures/tabletop player, as there would be the need for some conversions to represent some of this stuff. Anywho, take a gander:

http://forums.samurai-archives.com/viewtopic.php?t=1638
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cacy
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have (at the outset) started by making my guys cloth, the base color (darker "royal" blue for one side and a more "homespun" blue for the other). Even the "stockings" (or shoes) are in a light color of the unit. The armor itself is where I am making changes, so their belt does become the unit designation color as well (and pops fairly well) see http://cacymodelsgamepage.shutterfly.com/1246 for some of my early examples.

Kduke, I agree about the colors. However, I am using clear labels for their banners and printing flags that are either "dominantly" the color of the unit type (red background for example) I'm using these http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2674 which give me some more varieties to use.

Of course one guy is going to have the 'super sized' flag and I'm painting those (spray paint) their respective colors to help too.

I think with the back banner and some "predominant" colors, I'm going to start doing some more "historical" things of ashigaru (spelling may be wrong) having more cloth like colors (tans, browns and whites) and then doing armor in blue, red, greens.

It's a work in progress and I'm just going to keep working on it :o) Oh and as to the removal of flags etc, I'm just going to break down and buy their sets to add people.

Captjimc7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.