Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As your father rides off into the sunset, you, Vincent the Barbarian, look at the city of Ulendi you used to trade with under your father’s stern eye. Now you are a man and seek your fortune. What sort of adventures will you have? How many wolves will you kill? There are a lot of wolves.

Barbarian Vince is a solitaire card-driven adventure game. The only components required are the decks of Adventure cards, the Player cards, and a few places to hold/store cards when in play (pockets, a table, etc).

Barbarian Vince is an entry in the July 2012 Solitaire Print and Play contest!

I realize I might be saturating the contest with yet another game (so far I have Leet Traders, Crash Landing, and Two Deck Siege) but a friend had finished playing Leet Traders and wished it was in a form he could play on a subway (i.e. needing nothing to play but the game itself - no dice or pencils or counters) and I came up with this game. Also just joined BGG this year and really wanted to get my game design aspirations off with a bang!

The neat thing about this game is what I've managed to squeeze into a single deck (52 cards). It's got:
Maps
Items
Random numbers
Character advancement
150+ unique encounters
and 3 overarching story-arcs. You can play the game quite a few times before successfully beating all three stories. And its a single deck! And it's designed to be played on a subway! Seated, please.

The game uses a mechanic where the player has a "hand" of cards, a "used" hand of cards (they swap back and forth), and then the full deck. That's all.

The game has some tongue-in-cheek humor because man, I loved Barbarian Prince back in the day.

Here are the files:

http://www.mightyfistgames.com/design/BarbarianVinceRules.pd... is the rules.

Http://www.mightyfistgames.com/design/BarbarianVinceCards.pd... is the cards.

Http://www.mightyfistgames.com/design/BarbarianVinceCardBack... is the card backs.

As always, I value feedback and love your suggestions. Right now my biggest two concerns are how hard it is (my playtesting says: super hard, I have to fix that somehow) and how much fun it is.

Have fun!

Edited 7/7/ 3:21am to add: Made a bunch of card layout changes, rules tweaks, and uploaded them all.

Edited 7/10 and 7/12: New versions with new cards and fixed gameplay added, included Choose-your-own encounters, rumors, a starter quest, more rumors and stories, year-by-year affects, additional encounter cards, and more!

Edited 7/17 and 7/18: New fonts and formatting to improve readability, new colors for help with b&w printing, fixed some typos.

Edited 7/31:
Cinnammon Curtis
Scotland
flag msg tools
mb
just redid the art and design. Here it is! Holy crap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP: BARBARIAN VINCE (2012 Solitaire contest) Adventure Card game - Playtest Ready
Here is a sample of a card:

This card is the major card type. When a player moves to a new location, the location is listed as "Southglen (V,F)" meaning you can play an encounter from Villages or Forests. You make a random number draw, then draw cards looking for a matching encounter card. This is a Plains encounter.

If the game calls for a random number, you draw the next card in the deck and look at the bottom right where the number is.

If the game calls for a reward of an item, you draw cards from the deck until the BOTTOM of the card matches ("you are rewarded with a common item"). This goes into your hand; in your hand, quest cards are items, a general indicated of health, and skills bonuses and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP: BARBARIAN VINCE (2012 Solitaire contest) Adventure Card game - Playtest Ready
Here is a listing of gameplay from the rules:

Quote:
Example of Play:

Vince starts in Ulendi with his character card, his Map 1 card, and an item of Supplies that gives him one health. He effectively has three cards in his “hand”, none in “Used”.

First he remains in Ulendi for a turn. He needs an encounter that matches U or G. He “random draws” from the top of the deck a 10, then draws a U encounter. According to the card:
“During a storm, the port is besieged by a Storm Turtle. Everyone is pressed into fighting. If you flee without fighting, make a Hide 9+ check. Failure means you lose one card and have to fight anyway. If you hide, you skip the encounter. If you fight : Victory: Combat 2@ 9+ , Round Speed: 3 Cards, Damage: 1 Card. Failure: Make a random draw. On 1-8 lose a card; on a 9+ you are killed. Success: Uncommon item draw”

Vince would like to fight the turtle, but he is pretty weak, and the turtle could kill him. The odds are low that he can slink off as well, so he fights.

He has no special skill cards, so by using one of his other cards as a “wild” card you can attack with a Combat modifier of 0. His first draw is a 4, which isn’t 9+, so he fails and moves his “Supplies” card into his “used” hand. The turtle does damage of 1 card, so he moves his Map card into his used hand. He uses his character card as a Combat roll with a modifier of 0 and gets a 6, failing. He lost. He makes the “Failure” draw: a 10. He is killed.

Another example:

From the same starting position, Vince uses movement to move to Bridgewater village. His encounter is a V-7, and it says he’s met with distrusting villagers. He has to make a “Charm Check” so he pays a card into used (his Provisions card) and draws a 12 (his charm is zero, so 12 is the total). The villagers let him stay overnight. He then takes a Rest phase. He can move two cards (his current Recovery) into his Hand, so he moves the one card back.

On the next turn, Vince heads into Southglen Forest. He gets a F7 encounter – Herbal Foraging. He has to make a Survival check of 10+. This time he draws a 10! He finds the herbs – in this case, he keeps the encounter card as an item. He takes a rest phase, moving the one card back to his hand.

Turn 3: Vince decides to detour to the west. The Map 1 card says Map 3 is to the west. He draws from the deck looking for it and takes it. His detour takes him to Bridgeton. As well, he has the Map 3 card – another card to increase his hand. In Bridgeton, he draws V8 – “Little Lost Dog”. Vince tries to return the dog to the villager who owns him, and makes a Survival Check. A random draw of 4 means he fails, and sick with worry, loses his Rest phase.

Turn 4 (with one card in Used and four in his Hand), Vince heads to the Magic College. He draws looking for the X4 card. He finds the “nothing happens” card and puts it aside. X4 lists a “story” encounter. Unfortunately, the wizards at the Magic College won’t talk to Vince without a mystic Gem and boot Vince into the city.
Vince has a to play a C,G encounter, and gets a G5- questioning guards. He needs to make a charm check, spends a card, and gets a 1. They don’t like the look of Vince and lock him up for the night, so he skips rest. He now has two cards in Used!

Vince then reshuffles the deck due to the Nothing Happens card. It gives him a chance to Lay Low – he can’t get in the tower, and would be stuck in the city again, so he takes the Lay Low and is able to move all of his cards into his hand.

Turn 5, Vince, intrigued by the Wizards, decides to head back east to Bridgeton to head to X'idlim's tower. He random draws V4 – Harvest Festival. He decides to join the festival. He random draws a 6, and eats and drinks all night, partying through his rest phase. Well, he was rested to begin with.

Turn 6, Vince heads back to Southglen. He gets an F10 – a party of crafty Rangers track Vince for sport. Vince needs to make both a Hide check and a Survival check of 7+. He makes one and fails the other and gains nothing, putting two cards into Used. He takes his Rest, nursing his pride, and moves the two cards back to his Hand.

Turn 7, Vince heads north to X’idlim tower. We will stop the story there not to spoil anything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! Although some of the text rendered funny, at least on my compy. Mostly titles, it looks like; the upper third of the text is cut off. Not sure what that's about.

[edit]Oh, it appears to have happened to some of the rules text, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read through the rules, but I'm still not sure how encounters work. What exactly do I do if I get something like this:

Quote:

10+: Storm Turtle
During a storm, the port is besieged by a Storm Turtle. Everyone is pressed into fighting. If you flee without fighting, make a Hide 9+ check. Failure means you lose one card and have to fight anyway. If you hide, you skip the encounter.
If you fight :
Victory: Combat 2@ 9+
Round Speed: 3 Cards
Damage: 1 Card
Failure: Make a random draw. On 1-8 lose a card; on a 9+ you are killed.
Success: Uncommon item draw

Now, the Hide 9+ check I get. But what do I do with Combat 2@ 9+?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the text being lopped: I don't see that on the PDF I have in front of me. I wonder if the PDF renders odd if the fonts aren't on the users machine? That shouldn't matter.

Combat 2@9+ means you need to win 2 rounds of combat at a 9 or better. In the case of the example, the full combat stat block is:

Victory: Combat 2@ 9+
This means you need to win 2 rounds of combat at 9 or better.
Round Speed: 3 Cards
This means you can only use, at most, 3 cards per round.
Damage: 1 Card
This means after each round of combat, the enemy does "damage" and you move a card over into your Used hand.
Failure: Make a random draw. On 1-8 lose a card; on a 9+ you are killed.
This is what happens when you lose the fight (have no more cards)
Success: Uncommon item draw
What you get when you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Rocco,

I'm also a little confused about how and when I 'use' cards from my hand.

At the start of an encounter I draw a random card and the correct encounter type card (for free), then I will draw at least 1 random number card. Is the first random number card free or must I 'use' a card?

On some tests (combat only?) I can 'use' multiple cards to get more draws, are all the numbers drawn in this way added together. Do I have to decide how many draws I will do at the start of a test or can I add more as needed.

What happens if I have to draw for an encounter but have no cards to 'use'? In the fight example above, failure is triggered by having no cards but has a check requiring a random draw? I may be getting confused by the random event draws and drawing cards for random numbers as part of a skill check...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
At the start of an encounter I draw a random card and the correct encounter type card (for free), then I will draw at least 1 random number card. Is the first random number card free or must I 'use' a card?

Drawing the first random number and then encounter card sets the encounter (the "type" card and which one on it) and are both free draws. If the encounter asks for a random number as part of the encounter (for a random result, say) that's also free.

Generally speaking, you only "use" cards into your "use" pile/hand when you make skill checks. If the game calls for a "Charm check" or during combat (which are combat checks) you need to "use" a card. Using any card allows you to make that check at a modifier of 0 (so at your base skill). Using a card with a modifier gives you that bonus. Using multiple cards adds the bonuses together.

Quote:

On some tests (combat only?) I can 'use' multiple cards to get more draws, are all the numbers drawn in this way added together. Do I have to decide how many draws I will do at the start of a test or can I add more as needed.

Whenever it says make a check, you can always use multiple cards - the only limitation is in combat some encounters have a "round speed" which limits how many cards you can play at once each round. Of course you don't get them all back every turn, so card management is key.

However... I didn't specify that you have to pre-decide or not. Good find. I'm leaning towards allowing it - the game is hard enough already. I'll modify the rules.

Quote:
What happens if I have to draw for an encounter but have no cards to 'use'? In the fight example above, failure is triggered by having no cards but has a check requiring a random draw? I may be getting confused by the random event draws and drawing cards for random numbers as part of a skill check...

If an encounter asks you to make a check and you have no cards (they are all used), you fail. I don't think I have a card in there that has a check a part of a failure condition (I have a random draw as part of a failure condition a few times, but random draws don't require using a card except when they are specifically part of a skill check).

So short version:
Skill checks = need to "use" a card. Must say "check" in it.
Everything else (random draws not in skill checks, treasure or reward draws, encounter card draws) = do not need to use a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Vince and his might hunting wolf (Peter) headed north out of Ulendi in search of adventure. They spent their first night huddled in a stable near the road to Bridgewater. The next morning they were ambushed my tiny murderous gnomes on the path through Southglen forest. After pulling some tiny spears out of their ankles and having a breakfast of toast and gnome jam they left the forest and spotted the wizards tower.

Unfortunately the wizard was self absorbed and belligerent so Vince and his loyal friend headed west. All wizards better not be that antisocial. Near Bridgeton Vince and Peter catch a giant wolf mouthed bass and sit down to share a their first real meal in days.

The next morning they cross the river and approach the wizards tower. They are turned away by another snobbish wizard that kept referring to them as muggles. On their way out of town a crazed alchemist tries to sell them a foul smelling potion in a back alley. Vince kicks him in the shins and then runs off.

A few hours later they enter a foul smelling swamp. As the sun sets a strange glowing mist surrounds them. The next morning they awake to realize they are lost. The wolf finds a patch of swamp flowers and Vince cooks up some swamp flower tea to calm their nerves. The next day they reach the far side of the swamp and find themselves at the foot of a massive blackened rock face. There is a single pass through the rocks but it's heavily guarded by foul smelling dwarves. Our brave adventurers turn around and head back into the swamp.

They stumble onto a lizardman village and try and sneak past but one of the lizard children spots them and alerts the rest of the village. Lizard men swarm around them and the result is a bloodbath. There is nothing more depressing then killing crippled old lizardmen, their younger warriors must have been off hunting. The last of the lizardmen to attack was a wrinkled old warrior with a glowing sword. Vince cut him down and kept the magic broadsword!

They quickly disappear back into the swamp before the hunters can return but spend the next two days getting lost In the fog and being soaked by torrential rains.

Impressions-

I like the storytelling aspects and the skill checks but find the number of cards I have to draw to find the right encounter type frustrating. My biggest concern is that drawing 10+ cards to find the encounter feels bad.

My other problem is that I don't feel like I have enough knowledge about the world and my goals to move around and plan for future success. I have lots of choices but many of them seem random because I can't foresee where they might take me or how to best reach victory. The game almost feels too open ended right now. Personally I'd rather have a series of missions within this world with different very specific goals.

I'm really impressed with how many encounters there are and how much detail there is in general. I don't have any specific ideas for improvements at this point but I would suggest that you try ZedDeck if you've never played it. It has a similar combat and equipment system but it flows smoother. I feel a little cheated when I have to 'use' a card to make a check. I would feel better if a check was free but every extra card I drew required me to 'use' a card, it would feel like damage for the extra exertion and stress of coming so close to failure.

I wrote down another big list of questions that I will post later...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, first - someone playing it fills me with glee. Neeeee! Whew.
And second - thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
I like the storytelling aspects and the skill checks but find the number of cards I have to draw to find the right encounter type frustrating. My biggest concern is that drawing 10+ cards to find the encounter feels bad.

Yeah... I agree. It's sort of a mathematical issue. I'd love to hear suggestions on how to fix it. Within the limitations of 45 cards of encounters, of which 13 were used for single stories and therefore not for random encounters, that left 32 cards for 10 different terrain types. At best, each terrain type had 2-3 cards in the deck that matched. Some of them overlapped (the "outdoors" terrain overlaps almost all spots outdoors). I could cut down on terrain types? I could also do something like remove all the map and story encounters from the deck, since those are only gathered when needed by the player, but then there are less cards for random results.
Quote:

The game almost feels too open ended right now. Personally I'd rather have a series of missions within this world with different very specific goals.

Given that there are (in this version) 3 major story arcs, maybe I should list the "first things to do" on the character card, as a way to get things started? Like three rumors the player knows? There are three locations that "kick off" the story arcs - knowing to head in those directions might help.

Quote:
I feel a little cheated when I have to 'use' a card to make a check.

My thinking was that managing cards as "fatigue" was sort of a game mechanic. Generally speaking, each encounter requires you to do make at least one check (using one card), and then during rest you get it back. But some encounters make you use multiple cards, so walking around in an unrested state (with cards in used) was a risk (you might need those cards) you could play with versus taking time to lay low and rest instead, or avoid encounters. SO if you were super tired (all your cards used) choosing to move to a new location is very risky.

Maybe if players started with more cards somehow? I tried to limit it to 52 cards, so I could maybe have it printed someday, but I could assume a 54 card game works, and add two cards to the players hand to start. That gives the player a little more wiggle room.

Anyway, again - feedback much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten terrain types does seem like a lot if you're limiting yourself to just 52 total cards (which is a fine design goal). I'll bet knocking it down to, say, eight types would help things significantly, especially since you can overlap some of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got Plains, Ports, Mountains, two dungeon types, forests, Swamps, Deserts, Tundra (snow), Cities (Good), Cities (Evil or corrupt or rough, you get the idea), Villages (good), Villages (Evil), and Outdoors. Oh wait - that's 14 types!

Outdoors sort of provides generic outdoor weather events.

In general, each type of terrain gets 2 (a few get 3) matching encounter cards. Each location usually has two matching terrain types (so a port city is PORT/GOOD CITY) which increases chances.

I guess, from a balance sense, I've got only one place on the maps where a DESERT type occurs, so I could remove the two desert encounter cards. This means no Sand wolves. Sob.

I also have these good and bad cities and villages. I could simply make them city and village cards, and apply a modifier to the ones that are rougher, and then spread out the encounters (so instead of two good cities and two bad cities, I have 4 city cards with good and bad encounters, and the modifier s what makes some of them worse).

I'll work on all of these changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively, instead of decreasing the total number of terrain types, you could just allow for more overlap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Alternatively, instead of decreasing the total number of terrain types, you could just allow for more overlap.

Yeah, true. But in general each terrain location already has two types. If I do a lot of overlap the places might feel homogenized. I'd rather have less unique terrain but have the ones I have feel well-themed then a bunch of locations that all feel the same. I think.

I had someone suggest also making the "item" part of the card text upside down, so when it was in your hand you could turn it over and sort of differentiate that way. What do y'all think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocconteur wrote:

I had someone suggest also making the "item" part of the card text upside down, so when it was in your hand you could turn it over and sort of differentiate that way. What do y'all think?

Fabulous idea. I'd roll with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes I prefer when a card is multi use that the item side is upside down. It makes it easier to recognize what it is when it's In your hand.

I feel like the number of cards in my hand while exploring is good. I wouldn't want to have to deal with more cards.

As far as the encounters go I don't know how much it needs to change. You have the right amount of variety the problem is that I'm used to thinking that going through my draw deck quickly is a bad thing. In this game it's actually a good thing because you get a free lay low turn at the end of the deck,but it's still hard to get over those engrained ideas.

There are some solitaire rules for the Game of Thrones LCG that handled the different card types well. Each card type had its own draw deck. You might be able to split the related encounters into their own draw decks it would allow you to find the encounter you need faster. This may throw off your random number generator built into the cards.

Gossip and hints. One of the challenges in this type of games is that the best results are the result of strange combinations of items or finding special locations that a new player can never know about. I was inking it would be nice to let a player draw a free gossip card every time they successfully lay low in a city or village. Each encounter could have a small hint text that talks about some secret item or location. Some of the hints are true and others are lies but tracking them down is sure to be an adventure. This means that if your ever feeling lost you can go to the nearest town to get a hint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The hints is a nice idea. I don't have a lot I can be hinting about in a game this size (other than a few story arcs, and most of them are pretty self-evident) but there's a few. I could include it. I'll look into it.

Hopefully get all these edits done this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So here are the new card designs:

I fixed some bad formatting, used the same font throughout for clarity, increased the dead registry between cards for ease of cutting.

I added two more cards to help fill out terrain encounters, and retired the Desert and Bad Village terrain types. I spread out some other terrain choices so the encounters won't be quite as far between when looking in the deck.

I also added "skills" to the map cards, so that as players level up with map travel, their skills go out as well (and overall skill, not paid for in the moment with used cards).

I reversed the item text ( so when it's in your hand it'll look different) and fixed a few broken encounters.

That's it! I'm printing some out tomorrow for playtesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I printed out the new version and gave it a few rounds. The card suggestions are a definite improvement, especially for cutting and readability. Thanks guys.

It does *still* seem like a little too many draws to get to an encounter. I'm not sure how to make that better.

- You can remove "specific" cards from the deck, like maps and X-class encounters (since these aren't random). This would make the deck smaller (by about 15 cards) and easier to search through, but reduces the randomness of the number generation, and most importantly you need now a fourth "place" to hold the cards which I don't like.

- I can remove more terrain types. I sort of hesitate to do that. Unless I reduce the scope of travel (like make it an all-city adventure, which would need a rewrite). Right now there are Good City, Bad (evil or rough) City, Ports, Tundra, Plains, Forest, Swamp, Outdoors, Mountains, Z (dungeons), and X-class story encounters.

- I can "split" encounter cards and put two different terrains on one card for a few cards. It ends up being slightly less encounters due to formatting losses, but would increase the rate you got an encounter from a draw. It also makes the cards a little more difficult to read.

Right now each location with two types (which is most of them) have approx 6 out of 54 cards that match encounters, meaning you draw about 9 cards to find one. I'd have to lose two types (like Tundra and Bad city) to raise that to 8 out of 54.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocconteur wrote:

I realize I might be saturating the contest with yet another game (so far I have Leet Traders, Crash Landing, and Two Deck Siege) but a friend had finished playing Leet Traders and wished it was in a form he could play on a subway (i.e. needing nothing to play but the game itself - no dice or pencils or counters) and I came up with this game. Also just joined BGG this year and really wanted to get my game design aspirations off with a bang!

I would definitely say that you have that covered. Hmm. Now that I think of it, I still haven't played 2 deck siege yet. Next week for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like the new card layouts. The only part that feels off is having the map crammed in the bottom. From a visual balance standpoint it would feel better in the middle (between the map title section and map info section.

Hints- a few of the things that I struggled with in my play through that could have used hints...

- I had a hard time finding my way into map 4. A rumor about the unguarded back gate might be nice.

- I kept running into wizards that wouldn't help me unless I had the right item. A hint about What they want or where to find it would be nice.

- I often saw info about cool items and artifacts that I had no idea how
to find. A hint about the supposed location of an artifact could give me a little mini quest.

- I can tell a little bit about which locations are important based on the I counter symbols but it would be nice to get more background on those major locations/personalities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mermuse wrote:
I like the new card layouts. The only part that feels off is having the map crammed in the bottom. From a visual balance standpoint it would feel better in the middle (between the map title section and map info section.

Good idea. I'll fix that.

Quote:
Hints- a few of the things that I struggled with in my play through that could have used hints...

- I had a hard time finding my way into map 4. A rumor about the unguarded back gate might be nice.

Not sure I get this - you mean the path to the Copper tower on the right? Isn't there a story card on the Wizard's quest that leads there?

Quote:
- I kept running into wizards that wouldn't help me unless I had the right item. A hint about What they want or where to find it would be nice.

Good point - I'll add those.

Quote:
- I often saw info about cool items and artifacts that I had no idea how
to find. A hint about the supposed location of an artifact could give me a little mini quest.

You mean the same sort of "if you have the x item", where do you find it, you mean?

Quote:
- I can tell a little bit about which locations are important based on the I counter symbols but it would be nice to get more background on those major locations/personalities.

You mean the X story locations? Are you saying the story cards don't provide enough backstory? Or that more backstory about the world is needed so you know why to go to the X locations in the first place?

Thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:

Not sure I get this - you mean the path to the Copper tower on the right? Isn't there a story card on the Wizard's quest that leads there?

Ahh yes I see it now. I wasn't sure there even was an easier way in but I assumed it must exist. In the end my biggest problem is that I don't know what I'm trying to achieve. Its a very interesting and detailed world but its also very open ended. This is not a bad thing it can just be hard to find the motivation to keep playing if the journey feels to unfocused and random. This is definitely more of a sandbox style game... which is a big achievement for a game based off a 52 card deck!

My only input is to make some sample goals of quests for players to get introduced to the world with. This wouldn't require changing anything about the current game, simply add a few quest writeup that tell a little info about one of the story lines or artifacts and help point the player in the right direction. A few little challenges or quests could be added to the end of the rulebook easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Played again tonight and finally found one of the quests! I got frustrated the first time I played because I went to 3 X encounter locations and got turned away empty handed each time.

Error- I found a typo on encounter x3... 3rd paragraph

You must move to Hardscrabble Plains of map 6,

Hardscrabble plains are in map 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New Update available:

- Changed map cards so map is in middle, fixed a few formatting errors
- Fixed a typo (listed in previous thread about a location)
- Major change! I modified the Encounter cards. Before, I had each encounter card have a chance for "nothing happens". I removed these, added a bunch of new encounters to fill the gap, and then moved the "nothing happens" results to spots shared on the X story cards. By economizing this way, I was able to effectively add another 9-10 encounter cards for terrain, 1 for each, to increase the chance you get a matching draw when searching the deck.
- Rumors: I expanded the "starting rumors" part of the character card. I also added 9 new rumors on the new "nothing happens" encounters listed above. They fill in some gaps, provide some insight into the various quests, etc.
- Starter Quest: To give newbies a fighting chance I included a "starter quest" that happens as soon as you land in Ulendi. A simple fetch quest to get a card and get your feet wet.

It's starting to feel like a good balance between sandbox and linear narrative now. Thanks for the feedback!

http://www.mightyfistgames.com/design/BarbarianVinceCards.pd...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.