Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Conclusion: A zombie game made by the same people who made Zombies!!! Would I be sucked in again by my love for zombies (not to be confused with Zombies!!!). Yes.

I'm not a hater on Zombies!!! I played it a few times, it was boring, and yet I've so far kept it. I just like zombies that much and I think there have been some tweaks to the game that make it much better. In the end, Zombies!!! is mindless fun. Why do I spend so much time on that game and not this one? Because Zombietown is an upgrade of Zombies.

While Zombietown (henceforth "ZT") is not a perfect game and not better than Last Night on Earth (LNE), it is an enjoyable game for the "extras". While the game is not a thinker, it does have mindless good fun. I cannot speak for its longevity as I've only played a handful of games of it, it does let you move around the board, collect things, and kill zombies. I'm not sure you can ask for much more from a game.

If not for the horrible rule book, I might have graded this game a little higher. If you need only one zombie game, get LNE; if you have room for two, this might be it (for now anyway). I do like you can board up in your house, find survivors (no idea why they will hold down another house for you thematically), run around and shoot zombies (you have limited ammo), shoot the other players, and otherwise cause havoc. The only thematic thing I didn't like has been used in another zombie game (Walking Dead, comic version) is that if you use our gun, zombies should move towards you.

Overall, I think this game is a step up from Zombies!!! and fun (although not a ton of fun). You sort of check off your mind for this game and have some fun. Be warned: there is a lot of luck. Combat is by turning over a card from a deck and reading it (you only have a bullet or not). You cannot get better guns (you can get more bullets, sort of), but it works for this type of game. This game is not trying to be something else.

It will survive the purge (for now). Last comment, the game works better with the more players you can get to play it (up to 6). It plays worse the fewer you have (can play as few as 2).

Components: This is a small publisher so it goes with the bits. It comes with 100 zombies that are plastic (better than All Things Zombie which are chits) and they are okay. The minis for the "players" are the same "character" in different colors. They are nice enough, but nothing special. You get cards for the houses (each house as a "power") and each character comes with a card. All the characters are the same, their picture is the only difference. The cards are okay quality, just smaller (like FFG does) which I don't care for. From my understanding, they did this for cost which is okay.

The game is rather expensive for what you get, but that is to be expected from a small publisher and doesn't bother me really. The game may not support the price and the bits, but that is a personal choice.

Rules: This is where the game really lets you down. It doesn't explain all the rules (FAQ and the publisher's web site allegedly does). The rules are out of order and not explained well. There were rules I swear I read, but I couldn't find it again in the book. This is surprisingly considering the rules are just a couple of pages and there is a lot of white on the pages. The organization is just really, really bad.

With that said, most of the rules don't matter and you can figure out. You can be playing in 5-10 minutes from reading the rules. Just know how to get VP's and go for it. You have seen it all before.

Flow of the Game: I'm not going to explain all the rules. I just want to give you a general idea how the game is played.

The first thing you do on your turn is move up to 3 spaces. Then you get 3 actions: (some of the actions are): move up to 3 more spaces, combat, draw a card if you are in a building, take ownership of a building, play a card from your hand. I'm sure I missed one or two, but this gives you a general idea of what you can do.

What separates this game to be is the immersion of the theme. You can barricade yourself in a house (you get VP's for each house you "control"). You can run from house to house to get "supplies" (also to leave a survivor you find to protect the house for you (this makes no sense from a theme perspective). You can fight zombies that are running around. Each house also has a "power" or benefit it gives you, but if you use that benefit (up to 5 times) it becomes less valuable in the form of end game VP's. This is very interesting.

You can also bash into a house "controlled" by another player so they don't get the VP's for it. Watch out because it may be barricaded or have a hidden zombie in there!

Combat is the big let down as you just turn over a card and see if the distance is far enough away. It works, but it is just blind luck.

After you do your actions, then the zombies move. You keep track of the days. On the first day (after each player moves), one zombie is moved one space. On day 5, 5 zombies are moved 5 spaces. So things ramp up as the game moves along which is just like a zombie movie where the zombie horde gets stronger and stronger. There can be up to 100 zombies on the board at a time.

Should I buy this game?: Yes, if you are a big zombie fan and yes if you don't mind a little mindless fun. I don't mind it sometimes (especially if it includes zombies). There are some choices to make, but most are pretty obvious and your opponents will screw you over. The more people you can get to play the more fun you will have. While not a great game, it can be fun.

This will survive the purge...for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 53: Zombietown: Welcome to Zombietown! Or the city built around a cemetary.
As an aside, I also play Zombie Survival today and a review of that is forthcoming. I must say I did like Zombie Survival more than this game, but they are very different despite the same theme. I think this is game is fine, but if I had to buy a second zombie game I think it would be Zombie Survival. This is still a fine game and I will keep it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I HATED this rulebook. It was one of the worst I've ever tried to puzzle through. We tried two games of this and I think I even checked the FAQ at the time and maybe sent an email to the company/designer trying to clarify a couple of things but just eventually gave up.

This game with a LNOE style rulebook - I might have actually liked it.

On the ZS note - I just read up on it after reading your other review and it looks good, except that I think the dexterity part of trying to hit the zombie picture or his head on the artwork inside the box sounds like something that would frustrate me quite a bit. I've gotten to almost despise dexterity games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:
I HATED this rulebook. It was one of the worst I've ever tried to puzzle through. We tried two games of this and I think I even checked the FAQ at the time and maybe sent an email to the company/designer trying to clarify a couple of things but just eventually gave up.

This game with a LNOE style rulebook - I might have actually liked it.

On the ZS note - I just read up on it after reading your other review and it looks good, except that I think the dexterity part of trying to hit the zombie picture or his head on the artwork inside the box sounds like something that would frustrate me quite a bit. I've gotten to almost despise dexterity games.

Yes, I almost didn't play Zombie Survival because of the dexterity part of it. It actually works pretty well; or just play without it. The way you kill a zombie is if your dice total is 6; so just play without the dexterity option.

Dexterity option = if you roll a six it is a kill; or if you roll the dice (inside the game box) and it lands on the head of the zombie. Either way works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.