Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Is there any luck in this game? If so, how much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

The 3 stacks of buildings are shuffled. Not all of them come into play each game. That's pretty much the luck factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Hanno wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

The 3 stacks of buildings are shuffled. Not all of them come into play each game. That's pretty much the luck factor.

SWEET!

Will this be available from U.S. retailers / online stores?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

It will be available in the US at retailers/online stores immediately following Essen. It is being carried by both Alliance and ACD distributors, so every shop should easily be able to get copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What? You're going to buck the fashion trend by not having exclusive distribution with only one of those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
toulouse wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

It will be available in the US at retailers/online stores immediately following Essen. It is being carried by both Alliance and ACD distributors, so every shop should easily be able to get copies.

WOOHOO! I'm really looking forward to this game, Ted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Bunn
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

There's also luck in the order in which the buildings come out. And probably most critically, each player has 2 "goals" that can be worth a substantial number of points. They come from the same deck as the shared goals. If you get one that is synergistic with a shared goal, you've got a leg up sometimes. Or alternately, if you have one that is exactly opposite of a shared goal, your opponents can scrap over the shared version, while you coast to easy points with the private one.

The luck factor w/ goals reminds me in some regards of Waterdeep. It can be a factor, but you can still change whether you win or lose by good, or inept play as well.

All that aside, I've got my copy on order already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jamieson
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume that in solo mode there are no shared goals then? All goals are private and you simply try to get the best score based on the goals that you have that game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
KBunn wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

There's also luck in the order in which the buildings come out. And probably most critically, each player has 2 "goals" that can be worth a substantial number of points. They come from the same deck as the shared goals. If you get one that is synergistic with a shared goal, you've got a leg up sometimes. Or alternately, if you have one that is exactly opposite of a shared goal, your opponents can scrap over the shared version, while you coast to easy points with the private one.

The luck factor w/ goals reminds me in some regards of Waterdeep. It can be a factor, but you can still change whether you win or lose by good, or inept play as well.

All that aside, I've got my copy on order already.

I've often made variants to address these kinds of mechanics that introduce luck so I'm pretty confident I'll be able to do the same again.

I'm also hoping Ted will one day release an official luck-free variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Bunn
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get 2 private goals, and can pick which of the 2 to chase. So you have some control over the luck. Getting rid of the private goals completely would change things I think, since everyone would be chasing the exact same results. And I'm not sure how you could change the luck involved in the random distribution of tiles coming out. Ultimately they will come out in a particular order, and that effects how expensive a given tile is on your turn. It can be too expensive for you now, but not available on the following turn when it's cheaper, because someone else can use it too.

There's nothing inherently wrong w/ luck in a game. To me part of the game, is how you manage your luck to do the best you can with the situation presented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KBunn wrote:
There's nothing inherently wrong w/ luck in a game. To me part of the game, is how you manage your luck to do the best you can with the situation presented.

Yeah, but "choose among private goals" is often poorly balanced, where some choices really dominate others. It's certainly the weakest element of Shipyard, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Bunn
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since they are all part of the same deck as the public goals, it works pretty well, based on 4 plays experience at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.