Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just posting this here because I think gamers and creators need to acknowledge this in the hobby. This came to my light when I came across this thread about the game Arkham Horror: Innsmouth Horror Expansion

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/579365/what-kind-of-name...

A member mentioned that a generic name was used to address a character from a particular country. His post was met with posts that said, "Tell (a certain group of people) to get the F%#$ over it" and "We live America (you don't)".

My point is not to lambast FFG, but to create awareness that we should be culturally sensitive. If there are things that are offensive, it should be talked about, not discouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
A bit declasse to have a link to encourage Thread Necromancy, don't you think?

That thread is over a year and a half old.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you see something that you find objectionable, flag it with the red x box to call it to the admin's attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Grey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revelade wrote:
I'm just posting this here because I think gamers and creators need to acknowledge this in the hobby. This came to my light when I came across this thread about the game Arkham Horror: Innsmouth Horror Expansion

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/579365/what-kind-of-name...

A member mentioned that a generic name was used to address a character from a particular country. His post was met with posts that said, "Tell (a certain group of people) to get the F%#$ over it" and "We live America (you don't)".

My point is not to lambast FFG, but to create awareness that we should be culturally sensitive. If there are things that are offensive, it should be talked about, not discouraged.

Cultural sensitivity can easily progress into paranoid self-censorship if taken too far, and the thought of any censorship is something that people have a right to be alarmed about.

Consider for example War on Terror, a satirical game based on terrorists and the nations threatened by them. I can easily imagine soldiers returning from Iraq/Afghanistan, family members of soldiers who didn't return from Iraq/Afghanistan, relatives of 9/11 victims, and others who might find the game offensive. (I personally find the game's humor theraputic given the general absurdity that one act of terrorism cascaded into, but that's me.) I would never play the game with any of the above unless I was sure that they wouldn't find the game offensive. Given that there are people who wouldn't appreciate the gallows humor in the game, was it inappropriate for the game to be created in the first place?

Cultural sensitivity works its way in more subtle ways as well. Even the unspoken implication of non-voluntary colonists in Puerto Rico is enough to make people upset. I could see people showing distaste for a shipping/exporting game where human cargo was one of the primary resources, but the complaints towards PR at times appear to be people reading more into the game than was intended, and going out of their way to look for something to be offended by. I enjoy PR quite a bit, and am concerned that future great games may have functional game mechanics discarded or (worse) never be published because of concern over potential fake controversies.

Cultural sensitivity has it's place, (I'm personally glad that no company that I know of has rethemed Le Havre into a slave trading game for instance) but respect that not everyone has the same opinions you do. If a piece offends you, leave it in the box. If a game offends you, don't play it. It's that easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.