Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Dixit» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First time with three people: The avid boardgame hater, my wife, and me rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Ah yes.

It is the 4th of July and my wife was due with our first child on July 3rd. Also, her sister is without "a date" for the evening's festivities. So, to make things better, my wife informs me that it will be the 3 of us for dinner and we can play a board game together, after we eat. My wife tolerates board games. Her sister's worst nightmare is playing a board game when she could be whooping it up in a party scene on a major holiday, especially one of the drinking holidays.

Thus, after taking us all to an awesome diner, where everything was fried, except the salad, we went home. My sister-in-law is a pseudo vegitarian so this place is NOT on her places to eat list. Her mood ring level was down pretty low. Then the boy problems continued into the restaurant. (I hate text messages during dinner.)

That's the mood: me, my wife, and the board game hater.

Seeing that Fury of Dracula would be met with too much talking and explaining and forgetting and re-explaining and frustartion, I picked a lighter game: Dixit.
I said to my self: "self, you have to start out small and work them into a FoD. And you want games like FoD to be on the table for a while." After setting up the game for 3 people, the explaination began...

While trying to read the rules. The... Oh hai, shiney object factor took over. I totally thought this game was dead in the water for the group. However, I maintained my patience. I waited for the audience to settle. We went through the rules, painfully slow though. and I even used the exact same card and phrase from the rules to show them how play. Getting through the rules was excrutiating. Thank goodness the rules a short and sweet. With people not into games, less is more. The less you have to talk and explain, the better. Less questions = more fun.

I always like to play a "practice round" with my wife. We play with our hands for all to see and we go through the motions. We did this with Dixit. Unfortunately, someone wasn't paying close attention to the demo and told a full paragraph story that was easily guessed:

Now for the real game...

"This way, children." - this was my story for the chicks and the police chicken card. They guessed it pretty quickly.

Picture perfect - was guessed too easily. After this "story," the game got more serious. arrrh ninja

"night night" - my wife told this story about the eggs with the windows and was diappointed when it was guesed by all.

"I wonder where she went..." - I told this story about the big sea shell and the boy looking at the footprints next to it. My sister-in-law got it right.

Charolette - For this story, I had the web and ballet slippers. This was my sister-in-law's story and she had a spider hanging from the web. I guessed her card and my wife thought it was the ballet slippers. With more people, this would have been a good one.

The contrarian - my story for the white flower in the middle of all the red ones.

That was as far as we got and they both got into it. Not a total debacle in gaming. (Much better than my Munchkin fiasco with my wife.) They both want to play this with their friends on a "board game night." So, we shall see what happens then.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear that Dixit made it to someone's table.
Look forward to the transitional story to FOD -good luck.

mood rings still in production?laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mplatov1812 wrote:

I thought they went away when "bio-rhythms" did. About the same time frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
mplatov1812 wrote:

I thought they went away when "bio-rhythms" did. About the same time frame.

Heh, I know someone who was using a biorhythm program as recently as last year. I was rather surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.