Subject: OH HAPPY DAY!!!... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to GMT's website 'Ardennes 44' now shipping!!!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Groovy.

I haven't received an email confirmation from GMT yet, but I'm guessing that'll be sent tomorrow or Friday. Then seven to ten days shipping, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10 to 14 days for us basement dwellers..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Meister
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that too! I preordered it from NWS online though so it will probably take a little longer to get to me. I should also have FAB: The Bulge coming with it too. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose this is a reprint. Any ideas of the differences with the first edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 or 4 days after most everyone else for those of us in a smaller town on the east coast.

and as far as the differences, GMT has posted the second ed. rules on their site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
deltarn wrote:
I suppose this is a reprint. Any ideas of the differences with the first edition?

From the site:

"The reprint has two full size maps, more combat units (a few less markers), all player aids in color, and a Patton Counterattack Scenario (Dec 22nd to the 30th). The campaign game can also be extended from Dec 26th to Dec 30th."

The larger map is due to larger hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my email saying its been shipped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deltarn wrote:

As mentioned quite a few changes to the map and counters...some changes to the victory conditions (capture of Bastogne now mandatory for a German victory for example)...some fine tuning of rules

Myself and..

Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

..have played a game using the new rules with the old edition of the game on Vassal and found that it is very rewarding for an agressive German player..

..we didn't play the extended game using the Patton's counterattack scenario but I imagine it would be a chance for a bit of revenge on the part of the US player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:

Me too me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett W
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
YES! Got my email today as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
deltarn wrote:

Oh sure, we know exactly what the differences are. cool

No need for speculation.

Posted on Consimworld weeks ago. laugh
Consimworld is your friend. laugh
Consimworld is wargaming's best resource. cool

GMT
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd12acb

Ardennes '44
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee6f572
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lewis
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
designer
Victory By Any Means
badge
"Fear God and Dread Nought"
mbmbmbmbmb
olwargamer wrote:
YES! Got my email today as well!

Me, too. Reds! is on its way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
deltarn wrote:

From the site:

"The reprint has two full size maps, more combat units (a few less markers), all player aids in color, and a Patton Counterattack Scenario (Dec 22nd to the 30th). The campaign game can also be extended from Dec 26th to Dec 30th."

The larger map is due to larger hexes.

Yet another reason example of why I don't bother with GMT titles their first time around. More likely to get a more complete game with later printings, with minimal (if any) extra cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

Yet another reason example of why I don't bother with GMT titles their first time around. More likely to get a more complete game with later printings, with minimal (if any) extra cost.

Seeing a company upgrading its products over the time is commendable.
But on many occasions, I had a similar feeling. Some releases also seemed printed in a rush before proper rereading.
It's really frustrating, at time, when you make the effort to purchase first print runs, thereby showing your support to the game and the company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

But wasn't the last printing 9 years ago? I can't imagine people who bought in 2003 feel hard done by. The first printing was well received.

You'd have a point if the first printing was a year ago and accepted to have flaws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
billyboy wrote:

Me Three! Me Three!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
ShallowThought wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

But wasn't the last printing 9 years ago? I can't imagine people who bought in 2003 feel hard done by. The first printing was well received.

You'd have a point if the first printing was a year ago and accepted to have flaws.

Getting the original seemed to be at best expensive and at worst impossible.

The only ones who might somehow deserve to be pissed off are the second hand gougers resellers.

The same complaints will happen when Ukraine '43 ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
deltarn wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

Seeing a company upgrading its products over the time is commendable.
But on many occasions, I had a similar feeling. Some releases also seemed printed in a rush before proper rereading.
It's really frustrating, at time, when you make the effort to purchase first print runs, thereby showing your support to the game and the company.

I agree, on every point you mention. It is indeed good to support a company for their efforts.

But it is extremely frustrating to wind up with a lesser-quality version of the same game someone else has. It leaves me with the feeling that I was a "delta" playtester, finding the faults with the game (component quality-wise) so they can fix them for future consumers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
ShallowThought wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

You mean, like most of the other games on the reprint pipeline?

The specific example may not be appropriate. But the general tendency remains irksome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.