Subject: Gaming Table 95% complete, and had to show off ^^ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first carpentry project, figures I'm geek enough to make a gaming table. I learned a lot doing it, which was the point(go big or go home!) I just need to varnish it which is waiting on a day when it's not 85+ out so I can open the basement windows for ventilation, and some little brass jewelry box clasps to 'stabilize' the upper surface, not that I think they're needed really.

The top is 48x48, which is even enough for TI3

The inner surface is 45x45, which is still plenty big. There's a 2.5" space between bottom and top surfaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Killian
United Kingdom
Wednesbury
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks great! I keep meaning to start my own table project but just have no where to keep it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek Wasilewski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing! Great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ani
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW!
I can't wait to see what it will look like varnished. Nice job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. Are those lag bolts in the side? How did you choose to affix the legs to the table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acedaryl1 wrote:
Nice. Are those lag bolts in the side? How did you choose to affix the legs to the table?

The skirting is held together with 3/8" lagscrews, utter overkill I nkw know. I drilled through the skirting(2x8"), leg(4x4") and the 2x4" square brace holding the leg upright then ran a 3/8" lag bolt through all three. Horribly overbuilt monstrosity ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

Someone should build + sell hexagonal gaming tables to facilitate play of 6-player hex-based space games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think too much of what we buy is under-built these days. I like any table that can double as earthquake protection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
Nice.

Someone should build + sell hexagonal gaming tables to facilitate play of 6-player hex-based space games.

I've been pondering building a table myself, and I believe I will make it circular. If I do not, I'm hesitating between hexagonal and octagonal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so if I bring a 12 pack, can we play Twilight Struggle on that bad boy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgag wrote:
Mezmorki wrote:
Nice.

I've been pondering building a table myself, and I believe I will make it circular. If I do not, I'm hesitating between hexagonal and octagonal.

When deciding how to build your table keep in mind the tools you own, and just how much you are willing to spend on MORE tools to achieve your dreams. a hex table isn't too hard, just be VERY careful with your angle cuts, a circular table better have a good mounted tablesaw and some hobby horses to support the portion of the tabletop not on the workbench itself. That or you could dissect it into small sections to cut one at a time, but that brings in its own complications.

For me it was nice to be able to get a sheet of 8x4' wood for the top, have them cut it into transportable 4x4' sections there then just cut down the 'interior' to 45x45" to snug it in there. It's actually not held in place by anything more than the legs under it(not afixed to them) makes transport easier since I can break it down into 2 surfaces, 4 legs, and the skirting just by removing 4 bolts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.