• [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Pitts
United States
Aloha
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was awesome. I want a game called Doctor Sourface now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Yelp starts rating people"

I love the Onion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that would have made it better was a reference to the biggest board game scam on Kickstarter so far, Katalyka.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
The only thing that would have made it better was a reference to the biggest board game scam on Kickstarter so far, Katalyka.

Well, that scam got funded. Why do you call it a scam? I admit it looks a bit bizarre and self important, but a scam?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
Bearcat89 wrote:

Well, that scam got funded. Why do you call it a scam? I admit it looks a bit bizarre and self important, but a scam?

I have serious doubts that the finished product will ever be delivered. Just a brief perusal of the threads about it both here and on Kickstarter will show that the "artsy" person developing the product: A) has no clue about how to design, develop, or playtest games, and B) is suffering from some sort of dementia and is in serious need of professional counseling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
Bearcat89 wrote:

I have serious doubts that the finished product will ever be delivered. Just a brief perusal of the threads about it both here and on Kickstarter will show that the "artsy" person developing the product: A) has no clue about how to design, develop, or playtest games, and B) is suffering from some sort of dementia and is in serious need of professional counseling.

LOL. Now way. Alright, I'm going to look further into this.

EDIT:

...oh...my...god...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
Bearcat89 wrote:

Yes, but all of these things were quite clear long before the game was funded. So I'm not sure it counts as a scam. There wasn't really any deception involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Bearcat89 wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
Bearcat89 wrote:

Yes, but all of these things were quite clear long before the game was funded. So I'm not sure it counts as a scam. There wasn't really any deception involved.

That's true. Backing it was probably more like a bad gambling decision then falling for a scam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I have to say is:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
and B) is suffering from some sort of dementia and is in serious need of professional counseling.

Let's not conflate non-delivery with "scam" in this case please.

This article --> http://mashable.com/2012/06/12/kickstarter-failures/ indicates that 2 out of every 5 Kickstarter campaigns don't make book. The nature of the site is to fund pipe-dreams, so all in all that's not a bad success rate.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Bearcat89 wrote:
and B) is suffering from some sort of dementia and is in serious need of professional counseling.

S.

That seems a fair distinction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
The devil mixes his lies with truth, people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The parties with financial investment really don't like new models that nibble away at their profits.

Now I want a game with menstruating skeletons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Bearcat89 wrote:

Yes, I said as much two posts above yours when I conceded the point that deception was not involved.

Sagrilarus wrote:
    This article --> http://mashable.com/2012/06/12/kickstarter-failures/ indicates that 2 out of every 5 Kickstarter campaigns don't make book. The nature of the site is to fund pipe-dreams, so all in all that's not a bad success rate.

S.

This doesn't seem applicable to this thread since it only relates information about projects that fail to meet their goal. Scams are projects that are funded and do not deliver what they promise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mad Hatter
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
The parties with financial investment really don't like new models that nibble away at their profits.

I'd kickstart that. Period. No doubt, no discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
Bearcat89 wrote:

Yes, I said as much two posts above yours when I conceded the point that deception was not involved.

Sagrilarus wrote:

S.

This doesn't seem applicable to this thread since it only relates information about projects that fail to meet their goal. Scams are projects that are funded and do not deliver what they promise.

No, scams a are projects that never intended to deliver what they promise. All investments can fail to pan out for non-nefarious reasons. Just because Kickstarter makes it easier to invest doesn't negate the need for due diligence by the investor. Granted, many of the better ones will come out and say 'we need exactly this to be able to do exactly that', but whether or not they are trustworthy should come into play before investing money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wand
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving a Kickstarter project your money is NOT investing. If it was the SEC would be regulating it. Investing means the investor obtains ownership in some way. The two projects I funded did not provide me with any interest in the games, they simple gave me some bonus stuff for giving them extra money months before the game was delivered, and there is no contract in place stipulating that they would deliver the game in a specified timeframe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

Isn't that Small World?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Čurla
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
designer
mb
palmerkun wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Isn't that Small World?

I see what you did there ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjow wrote:
Giving a Kickstarter project your money is NOT investing. If it was the SEC would be regulating it. Investing means the investor obtains ownership in some way. The two projects I funded did not provide me with any interest in the games, they simple gave me some bonus stuff for giving them extra money months before the game was delivered, and there is no contract in place stipulating that they would deliver the game in a specified timeframe.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjow wrote:

The SEC is irrelevent here - they regulate publicly traded companies only (hence the name "Securites and Exchange Commission"). I won't bore you with a lengthy description of business forms; suffice to say, your statement regarding the SEC is false.

And "ownership" doesn't define an investment, "risk" does. That's why Kickstarter pledges are more accurately an investment than a purchase - you are sharing the risk with the publisher. It'll be interesting to see what comes of a court case. However, my sense is, unless you can prove fraud, you'll be out your money should a successfully funded project fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know what you can buy for $300!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjow wrote:

Any Good Dictionary wrote:
in·vest [in-vest]
verb (used with object)
1. to put (money) to use, by purchase or expenditure, in something offering potential profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value.

I will admit that 'profitable returns' doesn't sound like it applies, but many rewards are structured such that you will receive more for your money than you would once there is a finished project. Whether it's a signature, useful bling (i.e. custom dice), pure bling (i.e. thematic pogs), or whatever doesn't matter. Heck, just guaranteeing being able to purchase a product could be viewed as profitable for some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
Benjow wrote:

Any Good Dictionary wrote:
in·vest [in-vest]
verb (used with object)
1. to put (money) to use, by purchase or expenditure, in something offering potential profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value.

I will admit that 'profitable returns' doesn't sound like it applies, but many rewards are structured such that you will receive more for your money than you would once there is a finished project. Whether it's a signature, useful bling (i.e. custom dice), pure bling (i.e. thematic pogs), or whatever doesn't matter. Heck, just guaranteeing being able to purchase a product could be viewed as profitable for some.

But that's rarely the case. Many successful Kickstarter games are being "pledged" for MSRP + shipping. They will later be freely available post-Kickstarter with the standard online discount.

With the Sentinels of the Multiverse Kickstarter, for example, you could have pledged $70 to receive both products being offered -- second edition of the game and the new expansion -- for $70 (includes shipping). On the other hand, you can go to Boards 'n' Bits to buy the first edition of the game and the first expansion for $33 + shipping. These editions and expansions have the same MSRP. Even assuming the discounts are not as steep later, you're paying a huge premium for getting it early. That's the very opposite of an investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.