Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Franklin
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I've always enjoyed playing board games, but even more so now that I live in an area with not much going on socially and I only have one friend who recently got married so we don't hang out as much. I have a few other acquaintances... none of which like to play board games as much as me.

Last week I bought Small World and Settlers of Catan, but at this point I it feels like I'm more or less just collecting these board games since I can't find anyone to play with. I think I'm also going to pick up Dominion and 7 Wonders tomorrow, but again... no gaming group to play with.

Any ideas on how to bring my friends/acquaintances into board gaming without out them feeling forced and/or how to go about establishing/joining a gaming group in my area?

Thanks, all suggestions are welcomed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out meetup.com in your area. That's how I found a group of gamers. Check out the local game stores, see if anyone is looking for players. Scope out some groups. You may have a few misses before you find a group that clicks with you. It will probably be more rewarding to meet gamers and convert them to friends/acquaintances than to be constantly trying to force the hobby onto folks who aren't really interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Franklin
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, I have looked into a few, but have been kinda shy about going modest... I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means and all the one I found seem like they are pretty hardcore, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Thanks for the great advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a local coffee shop, not a starschmucks, you could likely post up about creating a group, try to round up people and make an event/club of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
succumb to solitaire gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thechuckfrank wrote:
Thanks, I have looked into a few, but have been kinda shy about going modest... I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means and all the one I found seem like they are pretty hardcore, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check it out.

It was good advice. Don't be shy about going. If you feel like you embarrassed yourself, just don't go back to that one and try somewhere else. I mean, going there and having a disaster and never going back isn't any worse of a position than you're current one without a group. So don't put any pressure on yourself and just go and have a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thechuckfrank wrote:
I think I'm also going to pick up Dominion and 7 Wonders tomorrow, but again... no gaming group to play with.

Due to their popularity, wait. You might meet somebody who already has them. My game group as it stands has two copies of Ticket to Ride, one copy of Ticket to Ride: Europe, and 2 copies of Dominion. Once you find a group, then pick up stuff that nobody else has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
thechuckfrank wrote:
Thanks, I have looked into a few, but have been kinda shy about going modest...

I'd say 75% of folk in this hobby are shy until they take the plunge. What you've got to remember is that more than you want to game - game groups want/need new members - so you'll be very welcome.

When it comes to gaming just invite round some folk (friends/family/workmates) to play a game. Start with something simple like Settlers or Ticket to Ride - get the booze flowing - in my experience most folk have a hoot and by the end of the night you'll know who will and who won't be interested in playing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thechuckfrank wrote:
Thanks, I have looked into a few, but have been kinda shy about going modest...
I know the situation. I'm pretty shy myself but now I'm running my own board game group. I've found that having to do with folks that share a common interest helps to connect. Give it a shot. Most folks should be excited to get a new player.

Just because a group looks hardcore doesn't mean they're not willing to take in someone who isn't and see if you can find a middle ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A suggestion on a complete other level. Buy an Ipad and play boardgames (alone or via servers) on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Franklin
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I think I will invite my friends over and start with something light and move on from there. Just to see how it goes.

I will probably also take the plunge and check out a few game groups in my area just to see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thechuckfrank wrote:

Definitely give it a try - I've had just the opposite experience - I seem to find groups that want to play all the games you listed, and I want to play deeper games. There never seems to be any problem finding people to play 7 Wonders, Dominion or Small World. Plus, those games are good ones to introduce non- or casual-gamers to, so I don't think you're wasting your money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thechuckfrank wrote:

Well, if there's anything I found out when I started going to gaming days, it's that the people there are actually pretty OK. Just regular people from all walks of life who enjoy board games.

I was somewhat expecting only pale faced cellar dwelling magic (tg) creatures, but that was only a small percentage and even then, I don't have a problem with anyone as long as they respect other players and are just there to have a good time.

I'm not the most spontaneous guy either, but sometimes I got so tired from my over competitive overly load gaming group that I wanted to try something else. It felt great to have adult conversations again. A lot of players are also young dads as I'm about to become.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles.

Don't be shy about going to a meetup group. The person running it is paying 11 bucks a month to have the group because he was in the same position you are in.

They are almost always welcoming and desire new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
Check out meetup.com in your area. That's how I found a group of gamers. Check out the local game stores, see if anyone is looking for players. Scope out some groups. You may have a few misses before you find a group that clicks with you. It will probably be more rewarding to meet gamers and convert them to friends/acquaintances than to be constantly trying to force the hobby onto folks who aren't really interested.

I second Tim's advice. I've been a part of two boardgaming meetups in two cities. Both groups were very welcoming of new people and I've made some very good friends out of them. So even if your shy, I can tell you that meeting people over board games is a great way to go. There are no such things as awkard conversational pauses; you're merely planning your next move!

There are probably a handful of people in a similar situation in your area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Franklin
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
UPDATE: I hosted a game night at a friends house and brought 7 Wonders, Settlers, and Dominion. We were pleasantly forced to play 7 Wonders as there were 5 players there.

At first there was a lot of joking about how I was a nerd for playing these games which is funny because even though I embrace my inner nerd I am far from being as nerdy as some of the others there lol.

But once I explained the rules and the game got started they really got into it! Everyday since they have been asking when is the next game night.

I ended up losing to someone who's primary focus was getting money, but I know how to combat that strategy now. All in all, I think it was a success. I have converted more people!

Thanks again everyone for your advice. I think I will also check out one of those meetups
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
They grow up so fast. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Cardoso
Portugal
Barreiro
Barreiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can tell you how i did it.
I invited 4 or 5 of my friends to play in my house, some of them didn't know each other.
In the end they gain new friends and enjoyed to play and now we are a board game group
If you have curiosity, I'm doing a web application to locate stores, events and jobs only for board games and one of the features is a very basic social network to meet players near a radius of you location or another location you input:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/826492/store-and-events-loca...

If you have any suggestion about the social network module I'll be glad if you share it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
What part of Michigan? GM me if you're anywhere close to me and want to play sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.