Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Something I wish reviewers would stop saying: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"If you are a serious eurogamer (or other type if it is a review of another genre), then this game belongs in your collection."

After I hear this I feel inadequate until I cough up another 30 or 40 bucks. I get the game, feel like a member of the club, then I hear the same statement about another game about a week later. And so it continues. I think smoking would have been a cheaper hobby.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You should probably avoid TV . . .

27 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it better to examine what the game really does when considering adding it to my collection. I need to ask myself if I already have something that does that. sure this game may be newer, but, unless it's different than what I have in my collection, why bother?

Example: Pret-a-porter, Dungeon Petz, and Ground Floor.

all three are heavy complexity/option overload style games, with worker placement as the main schtick. I got Dungeon Petz first, because the theme is cute and works with the GF since then I have seen and drooled over both of the other two. But when it came down to it I decided while cool they weren't different enough to really need to be in my collection.

It can be painful, but it helps save money!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HuGo Lelapin
msg tools
mb
Or just stop listening to people and etablish your own beliefs and standard.

Because right now I would say seriously, if you are a serious good
person you will help me buying a new computer to help me complete my
music album because after putting 11000$ (all my saving)in studio, it's not totally complete and I don't have much money now to complete me as I put all my economy in the project. Thank you for considering!
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ice
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What games are they? I need to make sure I have them.
23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
Avatar
pfctsqr wrote:
"If you are a serious eurogamer (or other type if it is a review of another genre), then this game belongs in your collection."

After I hear this I feel inadequate until I cough up another 30 or 40 bucks. I get the game, feel like a member of the club, then I hear the same statement about another game about a week later. And so it continues. I think smoking would have been a cheaper hobby.


When I saw the thread title, I expected to see:

"Other reviewers have already provided a rules summary for this game, so I won't bother describing how it's played."

That's the one that gets me. People can skip rules summaries, if they don't like them, but if a reviewer omits that part, then we lose something valuable in the process:

1. We can't understand if he or she even played the game properly (hey, that's important to me!).

2. The readers lose the opportunity to arrive at a better understanding of the game, by reading or hearing a different style of presentation.

3. We're compelled to click other reviews to acquire that much needed perspective, wasting time.

4. Believe it or not, providing a rules summary also benefits the reviewer; they grow in their ability to present information in a meaningful and coherent fashion.

It doesn't have to be elaborate, but please at least tell us something, even in outline form.

Cheers
34 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I find it both cheaper and less conformist to consider myself a non-serious Eurogamer. arrrh
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
David, I totally empathize.

Also, if you are a serious eurogamer, then you should buy all of my books even though they have nothing to do with gaming.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many factors that go into determining whether a game is a good fit for you that just blindly following a recommendations is naive.

A review verdict like that at most tells me "you should take a serious look at it".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
falloutfan wrote:
"Other reviewers have already provided a rules summary for this game, so I won't bother describing how it's played."

That's the one that gets me. People can skip rules summaries, if they don't like them, but if a reviewer omits that part, then we lose something valuable in the process


I don't know what world you live in, but in mine, a rules summary is not a review, and vice versa.

Some people like to include a summary alongside their review, but a summary is NOT a review.

You know what is a review? A discussion about the rules, what you liked and disliked about them, anything interesting or new mechanically.

A rules summary is a GAME AID. More specifically a TEACHING AID. It's not a review. If I want to know how to play, I'll read the rulebook, or a game aid, or watch a teaching video, or go to my flgs.
I read reviews to find out how the game actually is in play, something a rules summary does nothing for.
10 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel Theuws
Japan
Kyoto / Eersel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I very much agree with Josh and his above post. I have started to look more closely into the game play of a game, after a reviewer gave his "thumbs up". This has led to more meaningful purchases that hit the table more frequently. There are many games that I should like, being a Eurogamer, but bring nothing special. It might still be worth playing, but maybe not worth purchasing for your collection.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree 100%. This kind of phrase is pure cliche, and a kind of cliche that can only exist among people who throw more money than time at their hobby. When enough people act like this, board gaming becomes more about collecting and buying and less about playing and appreciating. I am making a real effort to stay in the latter camp.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game I am particularly bummed about not having right now is Agricola. Its got such high marks I feel like its one I must add just because. Im a big fan of Puerto Rico and Caylus so I am sure I would like it. But one thing I have tried to focus on a bit lately is games I can set up in 5 minutes or less. Gric looks like it takes longer. I get a bit tired of horrendous set up times. I am sure I will Agricola at some point and I am sure I will like playing it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

After I hear this I feel inadequate until I cough up another 30 or 40 bucks.


Doesn't sound like a problem of the reviewers to me.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

After I hear this I feel inadequate until I cough up another 30 or 40 bucks.


Doesn't sound like a problem of the reviewers to me.


I am aware of that!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
palmerkun wrote:
falloutfan wrote:
"Other reviewers have already provided a rules summary for this game, so I won't bother describing how it's played."

That's the one that gets me. People can skip rules summaries, if they don't like them, but if a reviewer omits that part, then we lose something valuable in the process


I don't know what world you live in, but in mine, a rules summary is not a review, and vice versa.

In my world, if someone describes X as "part" of Y, that doesn't mean they think X and Y are the same thing.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
On the other hand, it might mean that they consider "x" a mandatory subset of "y".

My two cents: I also like at least a short summary of the game play/rules, and tend to include one in my comments, and definitely do in a review.

Someone's experience with a game often comes down to the activities performed during the game, and a banal set of activities may need more extraordinary gameplay rewards than more unusual ones.

A brief summary is a useful tool. Sometimes it even saves reading the rest of the review- 4 sentences can say quite clearly, "I don't know what everyone is buzzing about because I didn't like this."

Doesn't matter- I still read reviews if I am interested in the game, or a particular reviewer's take on a game. I think variance in opinions helps me make decisions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
"If you are a serious eurogamer (or other type if it is a review of another genre), then this game belongs in your collection."

If you haven't learned to ignore it by now, you should think of doing so soon.

But yeah, doesn't belong into a review, reviewers should keep their hands away from their readers' buying decision. You can say, people who like this and this kind of experience will probably like it and those who like this or that should try the game first. That's ok, just keep your words out of my wallet.

falloutfan wrote:
When I saw the thread title, I expected to see:

"Other reviewers have already provided a rules summary for this game, so I won't bother describing how it's played."

That's the one that gets me.


Me as well, unnecessary disclaimer, just skip the rules and don't even bother saying you did so. laugh

falloutfan wrote:
People can skip rules summaries, if they don't like them, but if a reviewer omits that part, then we lose something valuable in the process:

1. We can't understand if he or she even played the game properly (hey, that's important to me!).

Trust your reviewers more. Nothing to say here, it's a trust between the reviewer and a reader.

On second hand Calendale gets plenty of rules wrong, but he's still my favourite video reviewer and delivers what I want from a review.

falloutfan wrote:
2. The readers lose the opportunity to arrive at a better understanding of the game, by reading or hearing a different style of presentation.

I push for writers to write in a way that reader would get game understanding from review part, not description part.
falloutfan wrote:
3. We're compelled to click other reviews to acquire that much needed perspective, wasting time.

On the other hand, I'm saving my time and effort to read though unnecessary clutter. I'll be thus focused on what reviewer has to say, that's why I'm reading them anyhow. Rules I can get elsewhere.

falloutfan wrote:
4. Believe it or not, providing a rules summary also benefits the reviewer; they grow in their ability to present information in a meaningful and coherent fashion.

It does. But if you are able to do that allready, feel free to skip.

falloutfan wrote:
It doesn't have to be elaborate, but please at least tell us something, even in outline form.

Well review has to be supported by examples and needs some description in the begging to create a frame, but that doesn't actually need rules description in full.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you consider yourself a serious boardgamer, then why don't you have at least a 12-BGG-supporter-badge whistle
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I find it better to examine what the game really does when considering adding it to my collection. I need to ask myself if I already have something that does that. sure this game may be newer, but, unless it's different than what I have in my collection, why bother?

Example: Pret-a-porter, Dungeon Petz, and Ground Floor.

all three are heavy complexity/option overload style games, with worker placement as the main schtick. I got Dungeon Petz first, because the theme is cute and works with the GF since then I have seen and drooled over both of the other two. But when it came down to it I decided while cool they weren't different enough to really need to be in my collection.

It can be painful, but it helps save money!


I try to do the same where each game has to fill a role. I really like Vanuatu based on research, but I don't think it distinguishes itself enough to go out and buy it right now. I'm holding off on Sentinels of the Multiverse until I get more info on Plaid Hat's superhero game. I prefer not splitting time between two superhero games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola was for me definately unique enough to purchase. There is worker placement just like so many others to be sjre, but the interaction of the cards, the specific scoring criteria, and the looming oppressive food demands make it a unique flavor when combined. Its not very thematic despite what people say. It is pretty sure but not thematic ^^ Anyone else ever notice hkw little time you actually spend on your farm? Its more of a storage depot for stuff you gathered elsewhere. No one tends your crops once planted. No one cares for your animals or maintains your house from year to year. Everyone is busy visiting the homes of the magical goods fairies to get more stuff to dump off back home ^^ And no you arnt really chopping wood etc or it wouldnt matter how long it had been since someone else walked into the forest with an axe...not only that two people could go together from a single farm to harvest more wood... and i doubt 5 farms could deplete a forest even if they all went ^^ That said I lime the game a lot, I just buy it as thematic ^^
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goddamnit all these years I was buying drinks, and paying vapid compliments when it appears all I really needed to say was "If you are a serious woman, you need to have sex with me".
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
Goddamnit all these years I was buying drinks, and paying vapid compliments when it appears all I really needed to say was "If you are a serious woman, you need to have sex with me".


Yep, it never fails for me!


Seriously though, these sort of comments can actually put me off buying a game. Telling me that I am somehow not a "real" or "serious" gamer if I don't buy a particular game is a little insulting to be honest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
Seriously though, these sort of comments can actually put me off buying a game. Telling me that I am somehow not a "real" or "serious" gamer if I don't buy a particular game is a little insulting to be honest.

But it's not the game's fault if someone recommends it in an insulting way!

Reverse psychology:
Person 1: A really intelligent superior person would keep all their money and not give any to me.
Person 2: Oh really? You dare insult me like that? Well, I'll show you!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Erratik wrote:
Seriously though, these sort of comments can actually put me off buying a game. Telling me that I am somehow not a "real" or "serious" gamer if I don't buy a particular game is a little insulting to be honest.

But it's not the game's fault if someone recommends it in an insulting way!

Reverse psychology:
Person 1: A really intelligent superior person would keep all their money and not give any to me.
Person 2: Oh really? You dare insult me like that? Well, I'll show you!


LOL. Agreed, it is not the game's fault.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.