Subject: Next Wes Anderson film? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved both Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums. Rushmore was probably the more accessible of the two. Can't wait to see Moonrise Kingdom - I tried last weekend but it didn't fit the babysitter's schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Royal Tenenbaums is a masterpiece
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
The Royal Tenenbaums is a masterpiece

It is his best work to be sure, but I still find myself getting choked up at the end of Life Aquatic every time I watch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Royal Tenenbaums is one of my favorite movies. I would even say it's one of the all-time great movies.

Second for me would probably be The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. It's much sillier, but the crazy fantasy world he creates is, shall we say, "surprisingly detailed."

Rushmore was probably my least favorite, but maybe something about it rubbed me the wrong way personally.

Anyway, I loved Moonrise Kingdom. It was one of the best movies I've seen in years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you do stay away from Darjeeling Limited. That movie is a magnificently beautiful to look at turd.

These are my favorite Wes films in descending order from favorite:

Life Aquatic
Rushmore
Royal Tenenbaums
Bottle Rocket
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Darjeeling Limited

I'm excited to see Moonrise even though Darjeeling was such a let down to me. It is really the only movie mentioned above I thought wasn't good, with Life Aquatic, Rushmore, and Royal Tenenbaums being brilliant IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was initially disappointed by Darjeeling Limited, but I've watched it a couple of times since then and it's grown on me.

I think the problem with the film is Jason Schwartzmann; that character needed a lot more heart and Jason Schwarzmann just didn't bring it. He was hilarious in Mooonrise Kingdom, though.

If I had to rank 'em it would be something like:

The Royal Tenenbaums
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Bottle Rocket
(tough call between this and Fox)
The Darjeeling Limited
Rushmore

Not sure where Moonrise Kingdom fits into that, but definitely in the upper half.

Edit: Why hasn't anyone made a Life Aquatic microbadge with a little red watch cap?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I've tried to "get" Wes Anderson films, but I just don't get the appeal.
Is there a microbadge for this?

(I did like Fantastic Mr. Fox, but mostly for the unique animation style.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Royal Tenenbaums is superb. Rushmore is wonderful and so is The Fantastic Mr. Fox. Moonlight Kingdom will need another watch or two before I really wrap my head around it's place in the Anderson Pantheon. It might well be my favorite Anderson film when it's all said and done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Busters...I mean, how else are they going to get Bill Murray?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I really liked Bottle Rocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
I really liked Bottle Rocket.

Me too. It was definitely ahead of its time. You would often see first-time directors making crime/caper films, since they're punchy & stylistic but relatively cheap, and of course at that time they were always gritty and very serious. Bottle Rocket was an anti-caper film; the protagonists desperately want to be criminals but they have no clue what they're doing.

It also has one of my favorite lines from any movie:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
They'll never catch me. Because I'm fucking innocent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as long as we are going to spout off our favorite quotations (for those of you who haven't seen the movies, the context is definitely needed to get some of them...or maybe not)

Rushmore:

Rosemary Cross: Do you think we're going to have sex?
Max Fischer: That's a kinda cheap way to put it.
Rosemary Cross: Not if you've ever fucked before, it isn't.

Royal Tenenbaums:

Margot: You probably don't even know my middle name.
Royal: That's a trick question. You don't have one.
Margot: Helen.
Royal: That was my mother's name.
Margot: I know it was.

Bottle Rocket

Kumar: Man, I blew it. I blew it, man.
Anthony: Kumar, what were you doing in the freezer?
Kumar: I don't know, man, I lose my touch, man.
Dignan: Did you ever have a touch to lose, man?

Darjeeling Limited

Peter: What about our snake?
The Chief Steward: It's dead.

Life Aquatic

Jane Winslett-Richardson: In twelve years, he'll be eleven and a half.
Steve Zissou: That was my favorite age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah the Bottle Rocket one with Kumar is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From memory, may not be exact:

Darjeeling Limited
Rita: What is wrong with you?
[long pause]
Jack: Let me think about that.

Royal Tenenbaums
Etheline: Is he bleeding?
Royal: Shit...oh, no, that's just the dog's blood.

Life Aquatic
Steve: Next time you have a bright idea, just whisper it into my ear first. Otherwise I kinda look like a, you know, daydreaming johnny.

Steve: Do the interns get Glocks?
Anne-Marie: No, they have to share one.
Steve: We'll get you a Glock.

Steve: I'm so sick of these dolphins.

Steve: Don't point that gun at him. He's an unpaid intern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Redemption? Sure. But in the end, he's just another dead rat in a garbage pail behind a Chinese restaurant." -- The Fantastic Mr. Fox
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the one where the quirky main character interacts with a quirky ensemble until they eventually come to kinda respect each other.

That one was great. The rest of them were terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All great replies. I haven't seen Moonlight Express yet, but I'm really looking forward to.

Honestly, if you enjoy him (and I can totally see how he isn't for everyone) then you'll probably enjoy the rest of his work.

My favorites in descending order (but by no means implying I don't like the bottom of the list):

Royal Tennenbaums
Darjeeling Express
Rushmore
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Bottle Rocket
Life Aquatic

For new viewers that are just figuring out his style, I'd recommend the following order based on approach-ability and ascending subtlety:

Easiest to enjoy:
Rushmore
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Bottle Rocket

A bit more complex:
The Royal Tennenbaums
Life Aquatic

Most subtle film of the bunch:
Darjeeling Express

Darjeeling Express is probably his most subtle film (that I've seen), likely requiring the most of his fans to enjoy, but I really liked it a lot. It all builds to a tremendous conclusion that I loved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I came across a film called The Brothers Bloom that had a number of Wes Anderson elements to it. It was fun, heartfelt and quirky.

It's not perfect but it has kind of a 'Wes Anderson light' feel and I enjoyed it.

The director, Rian Johnson, directed Brick, film noir set in highschool, and the upcoming Looper, which looks promising. Neither had, or look to have, the Wes Anderson feel though, but are still worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
kdiddy13 wrote:
Also, I came across a film called The Brothers Bloom that had a number of Wes Anderson elements to it. It was fun, heartfelt and quirky.

It's not perfect but it has kind of a 'Wes Anderson light' feel and I enjoyed it.

The director, Rian Johnson, directed Brick, film noir set in highschool, and the upcoming Looper, which looks promising. Neither had, or look to have, the Wes Anderson feel though, but are still worth checking out.

I liked Brothers Bloom and Brick. Haven't seen Looper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
kdiddy13 wrote:

I liked Brothers Bloom and Brick. Haven't seen Looper.

I don't think it's out yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Has a Philip K. Dick vibe to it and I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
Hi all:

My wife and I just saw Moonrise Kingdom and really liked it.

Does anyone have input on the next Wes Anderson film I should see?

Looks like I am going to either have to hope Blockbuster has his films b/c not many are available via Streaming methods.

I love all things Wes Anderson. "Moonrise Kingdom" is simply amazing with a lot of depth on repeated viewings.

I would recommend viewing "The Life Aquatic" and "The Royal Tennenbaums."

Followed by"Rushmore," "Bottle Rocket", and "Fantastic Mr. Fox."
At the bottom of my list I would put "The Darjeeling Limited." It has some wonderful moments in the second half but the first half is not well-defined and a bit wandering (perhaps a metaphor for the 3 characters? i dunno...).. The film also seems to never have a proper conclusion or endgame for the characters. A good film but it comes up a bit short for a WA film. imho,ymmv.

FWIW...Criterion is planning to release The Royal Tennenbaums on Blu-ray in mid-August 2012! bring it on!!

edit.
I love this pic and the opening credits to Rushmore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patroclus wrote:

Followed by"Rushmore," "Bottle Rocket", and "Fantastic Mr. Fox."
At the bottom of my list I would put "The Darjeeling Limited." It has some wonderful moments in the second half but the first half is not well-defined and a bit wandering (perhaps a metaphor for the 3 characters? i dunno...).. The film also seems to never have a proper conclusion or endgame for the characters. A good film but it comes up a bit short for a WA film. imho,ymmv.

My take on Darjeeling Limited (Big End Spoiler follows):
It's probably one of his most symbolic and metaphorical films, and I realize how pretentious that sounds. I agree with your view on them rambling around and think that's a good take on it (despite being hard to follow the 'why' sometimes).

My take on the ending is that it wrapped up very nicely with them both literally and figuratively leaving the baggage handed down to them by their father behind.

That being said, it isn't quite as tight as his other films and at times just feels borderline lazy as the characters wander around the countryside. But somehow he makes it work and I really enjoyed it. Gave me a lot to think about and (over) analyse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alamo Drafthouse wrote:

The Rolling Roadshow will take place at the Day's Inn at 307 South East I35 Hillsboro, TX 76645. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased on this page! If you would like to stay at the motel, DO NOT book through Day's Inn, but instead go HERE for details!

Wes Anderson's debut feature has long held a special place in our hearts. There are so many reasons to love BOTTLE ROCKET, but mostly we love this heist comedy about a trio of young, shiftless Texans in existential crisis trying in vain to become hardened criminals because it's damn funny. So, when we heard that the Days Inn on I-35 in Hillsboro, Texas -- a major location in the movie -- was in danger of shuttering forever we knew we had to step up and join our friends from Reservoir Geeks in their efforts to save the iconic indie film location.

Due to the economic downturn the motel's business suffered, thus the Save The Bottle Rocket Motel event was born and became reality in July of 2011. An estimate 250 fans took part in the festivities which included a showing of the film, attendance by none other than potential getaway driver himself, Robert Musgrave, and the sale of a limited edition Mondo poster.

On July 21, 2012 the magic will happen again as the 2nd Annual Lovely Soiree to ensure that the Bottle Rocket Motel will be there for years to come. If you love BOTTLE ROCKET, Wes Anderson, or just film in general join us by calling 254-582-3493 and book yourself a room for a magical night and see the hilarious comedy where it was filmed.

More information on the event can be found HERE.

Bottle Rocket showing at Alamo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Royal Tennenbaums is one of my favorite films.
Rushmore and Bottle Rocket are both quite good.
Life Aquatic and Darjeeling limited I did not really like as much.
Mr. Fox I have not seen yet, nor Moonrise Kingdom.
Really want to see Moonrise.

I also really like some other quirky films that I tend to think of along with Wes Anderson films.

I Heart Huckabees
Being John Malkovich
Adaptation
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Synedoche

Enjoyed all of them, have not seen Human Nature yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Royal Tennenbaums is one of my favorite films.
Rushmore and Bottle Rocket are both quite good.
Life Aquatic and Darjeeling limited I did not really like as much.
Mr. Fox I have not seen yet, nor Moonrise Kingdom.
Really want to see Moonrise.

I also really like some other quirky films that I tend to think of along with Wes Anderson films.

I Heart Huckabees
Being John Malkovich
Adaptation
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Synedoche

Enjoyed all of them, have not seen Human Nature yet.

You'd probably also enjoy "Be Kind Rewind".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.