Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kiva Lending Team: Team BoardGameGeek.Com (http://www.kiva.org/team/boardgamegeek ) needs your help.

We set your team a goal of rainsing 500 loans until the end of the year.
Thats not verry much reganding the huge number of BGG users. But now as half a year has passed, we have little less than 250.

So we need your help.

For those who don´t know about Kiva and the concept of micro loans,
have a look at http://www.kiva.org/about .
You don´t need to spend money, you just lend it to someone who really needs it.

And if you follow this link, you even get your first 25$ for free.
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/markus2401

To help the team, please join it first, and than make your loan.
But nevertheless, helping the borrowers is much more important than helping the team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mb
Thanks for the reminder. Another 9 loans made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
And you can get a neato microbadge too!
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now we have reached 250. Halfway done, but still a long way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

280 loans so far. Still, this isn't looking good.
Maybe adding reward - GG - would boost our membership and our impact on the world (I am referring to foalding@home team and their monthly bonus 5-10 GG)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mb
We just made 21 more loans. Let's keep this going. Slowly and surely we will get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

Bixby wrote:
We just made 21 more loans. Let's keep this going. Slowly and surely we will get there.

Nice! more than 50 loans in one month. Maybe our target isn't so far after all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It´s 303 now. I think we can make it. But it will not be easy.

Maybe a lottery (one entry per loan) for some GeekGold and maybe games (I could donate 1 or 2) would be a good idea.
What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

Maybe a lottery (one entry per loan) for some GeekGold and maybe games (I could donate 1 or 2) would be a good idea.
What do you think?

Good idea. I will contribute 20GG to that pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

What do you think?

That is an idea to start with. I have few GG to spare. NOt so many as Bixby, but hey, every gg will go on good cause

My idea is that every new loan in each month would be rewarded with GG (1 would be enough). So if you have more money circling in kiva system, keeping this money in that system, relending, you would get "new" GG even with your "old" money which you relend. Lets make it some sort of a light eurogame. If you sow, you gather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Bixby wrote:
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

What do you think?

Good idea. I will contribute 20GG to that pool.

I'm in for ten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your support.

I´ll start a Geek List with the lottery items next week.

But I have a technical question.
Is there a way to see the number of loans each team member made for our team? I didn´t find something like this on Kiva.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

But I have a technical question.
Is there a way to see the number of loans each team member made for our team? I didn´t find something like this on Kiva.

I've also looked for this option on kiva. No result.
So I've mailed kiva how to collect loans data for each member every month. We will see what they'd replay. (if that is an option)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, kiva replied. Apparently Kevin, our captain, has access to all the data Maybe we should inform him about our ideas and what we think?

btw, 320 loans!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´ve sent a geekmail to Kevin.
I´ll wait for his response and start a geeklist than.
The lottery conditions will depend on the way the data is provided by Kiva (especially if there is a way to filter by range of time).
Otherwise I´d suggest to give a lottery ticket for every loan made since the beginning. I don´t think it is a bad idea to reward the long time supporters of the team.

And here is the new loan graph. The sharp increase at the end raises my hopes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hi folks,

Sorry about being out of the loop lately. As the team has gotten larger (yay!) and enthusiasm has grown (yay!) my free time has taken a hit (boo!). To help with administration of the team, I've appointed Markus the co-captain. Congratulations, Markus! Now get to work!

To answer some of the upthread questions:

- I don't see a way to tell how many loans each member has made towards the group total. I can see (e.g.) that Markus has made X loans on Kiva, but it does not tell me if all of those were for Team BGG, or some of them, or none.

- I've also been thinking about doing a recruitment geeklist for a while. Maybe something along the lines of "join and make your first $25 loan, and we will give you X geekgold."

I would suggest 100 geekgold as the reward, because it's (a) an impressive looking number and (b) not THAT expensive; it would cost $3-$4 (US) to buy in the BGG auction house.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
Thoughts?

I think I joined a month too soon

But 100 combined with the offer Markus made to pay for the initial loan should skyrocket the number of loans team Geek has made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Personally, I like the idea of rewarding people who make loans. I think 100gg might be a bit much. At the heart of this, I would like to think that people get involved with KIVA because they believe in the organization and the micro finance model for helping others create a sustainable economy. Making a GG reward that large just does not sit well with me for some reason. I think maybe a 25GG reward for a person's first loan would be more appropriate.

Perhaps there are other ways we can keep the momentum and initiative high profile with our KIVA BGG supporters. I think we have the start to a really wonderful sub-community here on BGG and it would be great to see it blossom and grow some more.

What kind of information is available from KIVA about our group. Could we show members by country or loans by country? That might be a way to try to encourage involvement. I am thinking about things like:
Germany is leading with 32% of the loans so far, followed by France at 24% and USA at 21%.

There may be some fun stats that we can show to promote involvement.

Just some rambling Sunday morning thoughts from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the 100 reward could easily be adjusted, and the smaller the number the more people it could be offered to, and the less which would need to be purchased (it would be more accessible to donators).

I also feel like once a person has an account, it makes it much easier to make that next loan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
To help with administration of the team, I've appointed Markus the co-captain. Congratulations, Markus! Now get to work!

Aye-aye, sir!
Thank you Kevin, I won´t disappoint you.

dysjunct wrote:
I don't see a way to tell how many loans each member has made towards the group total.

I also can´t find the number of loans per user. I´ve sent a mail to Kiva and hope they can provide the data.

Alternately we could randomly selcet a loan (as they are all listed here http://www.kiva.org/team/boardgamegeek/loans , or almost all? ) and than find out who made it to determin the winner.

dysjunct wrote:
I would suggest 100 geekgold as the reward, because it's (a) an impressive looking number and (b) not THAT expensive; it would cost $3-$4 (US) to buy in the BGG auction house.

Thoughts?

A reward of 100 geekgold for new members making their first loan would help to rise the number of members for sure.
But I´m not sure if this will have a substainabe effect or if this will only lead to a lot of members joining for the gold and not making a loan beyond the first (which is for free anyway, at least if you join following an invitation link).
But maybe thats OK too, if we can hook only some of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bixby wrote:

What kind of information is available from KIVA about our group. Could we show members by country or loans by country? That might be a way to try to encourage involvement. I am thinking about things like:
Germany is leading with 32% of the loans so far, followed by France at 24% and USA at 21%.

There is a lot of informaton about the borrowres, but not much about the lender.
I can tell how many loans wet to Costa Rica or Palestine for example and that the most loans went to Mexico. But I can´t see how many loans were made by member of a county.

But there is another way to make it more "competitive". We can compare our team with other teams.
So we wight ask ourselves why "Independent Video Game Developers" ( http://www.kiva.org/team/indiegames ) until today have made much more loans than we have and how long it will take us to overtake them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulation Markus!!
Now we need a person from any asian time zone and our group would have all-day support...

Markus Hagenauer wrote:

dysjunct wrote:
I don't see a way to tell how many loans each member has made towards the group total.

I also can´t find the number of loans per user. I´ve sent a mail to Kiva and hope they can provide the data.

Alternately we could randomly selcet a loan (as they are all listed here http://www.kiva.org/team/boardgamegeek/loans , or almost all? ) and than find out who made it to determin the winner.

dysjunct wrote:

Thoughts?

A reward of 100 geekgold for new members making their first loan would help to rise the number of members for sure.
But I´m not sure if this will have a substainabe effect or if this will only lead to a lot of members joining for the gold and not making a loan beyond the first (which is for free anyway, at least if you join following an invitation link).
But maybe thats OK too, if we can hook only some of them.

I think that some sort of lottery would be a good idea. 4,5, name your number, kiva loans would be drawn every month. Person who lent it, would get 25 gg (or other significant number). This way we will:
1. Encourage people to start their adventure with micro financing
2. Add more people to our team on kiva
3. We won't have to spend money on BGG marketplace on GG, we could spent it on making new loans.
4. No distinction between old and new lenders.

Imagine that we can then start new thread with title "Kiva Team gives away 250 GG this month... all you need is to make a loan on kiva.org"

After we solve BGG Kiva team members issue, we have to discuss whose kiva invite we will use in those threads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about how can we collect data about loans.

What do you say for a new thread every month, where people could submit their loans (like a ticket for a lottery). Loan would had to be in "paying back" status at the end of month in which lottery take place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A monthly list is a great idea. Threads and Geeklists get lost in the sea of information on BGG over time. A monthly Geeklist would be a way to keep this current and topical. Could even feature a lender profile each month to create extra exposure for what is happening.

Kudos to you for the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiva has answered. The number of loans to a team is only available on every users personal profile, but not on the team page. So there is no easy way to collect the data.

So I agree, the best way will be to let the lendes enter the lotterie by posting their loans.

I like the idea of new lists. Maybe monthly is to much (at least as long as we usually have 30, maybe soon 50 loans per month). So I´d suggest to make it quarterly. And we could sart with a 4-month term until the end of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.