Subject: Alpha +3 Scientific advancements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bret Hawkeye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

to keep things more easy and straight, we ommitted the use of scientific advancements so far. (two games of global, and now the second game of Global ongoing)
It also seems to me, to put more of a random factor into the game, you can gamble a lot of IPCs there, with no advancements to be gained, or the other way around.

But this is only my theoretical view. What were your experiences with that? Did you use it always? Can you recommend it?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both with and without them and I really don't like them. They unbalance the game badly...especially when you play double blind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Hawkeye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Coldwarrior1984 wrote:
...especially when you play double blind.

What do you mean by that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a sense this was an important factor of the War- look at all the Reichsmark Germany put into the V1 & V2- and it had no outcome on the war (= spending and rolling and getting nothing) VS. U.S.A. developing the Atomic Bomb (=successful spending and rolling).

We don't use it every game, but it can be a fun addition occasionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Political Hack
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We usually play with tech; last game it had no impact, though it arguably should have (The UK got Heavy Bombers on Turn 1...and then never used them, and didn't invest in them). The German tech advancement happened so late in the game it had no real impact.

So far it's had minimal impact in the Global 1940 games. It's usually been a "rich get richer" deal that hasn't changed the flow of the game much. (The US got improved shipyards late in the game when they were already knocking on Tokyo, for instance)

I've seen it change things much more significantly in Anniversary; the US got jet aircraft fairly early and it essentially doomed the Japanese.

We also don't tend to invest very heavily in it, though. The economics are tight enough that it's often hard to give up the extra forces to buy a tech roll that might not ever come through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always use scientific advancements. I have yet to see them have a decisive impact on a Global campaign (of which we have completed at least five to date, with another slated to start next month). Once in a while, they do help - in the campaign before last, the Americans got long range aircraft, and that did help in the Allied efforts in the Pacific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play with the ability to spend money on tech but in practice we hardly ever waste (er, I mean spend) money on it.

I liked the way tech worked in Anniversary Edition, where you invested in a dice roll that you got to make each turn until you finally got a tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Political Hack
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
We always play with the ability to spend money on tech but in practice we hardly ever waste (er, I mean spend) money on it.

I liked the way tech worked in Anniversary Edition, where you invested in a dice roll that you got to make each turn until you finally got a tech.

We've been using the Anniversary method for tech research to make it a more viable option. If we played the "one roll and done" method, tech would be entirely ignored until someone got so much money they could just play around, or Japan/UK got desperate to get radar to help stave off an invasion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Hawkeye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm all this reading about scientific advancements sounds really more like adding a funny dice roll to the game instead of deepening its strategic depth.

I dont know the Anniversary rules you speak of, but I gave the whole matter some thought.

In 1940 science follows that order.

1. you buy some science dice
2. may be get lucky sooner or later
3. you get a bonus for a unit which you may have built heavily (then you are really lucky - e.g. an early plane upgrade for Japan) or (example) UK gets better Subs and has no Subs anywhere (so its quite useless)

This point of getting something random might fit to actual science, where you dont know what field will make next breakthrough, but in a central war economy like in Russia, it would be a bit different.
Stalin would call all scientists from any field together and proclaim (we need better tanks! do something) and all money would go into that fiel until progress is made.

So..also for the sake of a more strategic approach to scientific development, I would suggest that order:

1. roll what science you might work on this round
2. choose if and how many dice you buy
3. roll the dice

You can argue if you repeat step 1 each turn, or if you have to or can stick to the science plan until it is achieved...

This takes out some crucial random momentum from the whole science set, but I would find it more predictable and useful. You see what science is on the table and can decice to go for it, or let it be and wait for better stakes next turn.

dont get me wrong! Leaving sciene out of the game is probably the best way to keep more strategic, but some people like to add some "spice" to a such a game, and sometimes even a hardcore strategist must make concessions to get a full round of players to the table.

But what would you think on that approach? Does it sound halfway balanced to be playtestet, or did I miss some crucial design error?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.