Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, a modular board. Why can't a modular board be released in the original game. It's not that complicated to design.

I remember vinci (by the same designer) that had a map of europe when the game was non-historical. So why not a modular board to get more replay value. I managed to make one of vinci pretty easily. It's not that hard.

I don't know why, but there seems to be a lot of non-historical games out there that are looks scared to use a modular board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
larienna wrote:
Why can't a modular board be released in the original game.

What "original game" are you talking about? This expansion is for both Small World and Small World Underground. So it covers both games.

If you are talking about Vinci, this is the wrong place to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused, you're ranting because you're happy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
A better outlet for this rant: make a GeekList like "Games That Should Have Modular Boards."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Geeklist: Games That Should Have Modular Boards

That is a wonderful idea. I think I should make that list since I use modular boards in all my design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What "original game" are you talking about?

By original game, I mean the first small world game box released. They should have used a modular board instead to increase replay value, but especially to scale the game accurately according to the number of player which is currently not the case with the board that comes with the base game.

In vinci, the player balance is achieved by changing the minimum number of troops a player get + the special abilities. In small world, only the special ability count, so the scaling needs to be adjusted with the nb of territories. But since there is only 2 maps available, some combinations of map and nb of players would be too strong and too weak than other combinations.

Now with a modular board, the problem is solve, because you can say soemthing like, use "3 tiles per player", and what-ever thee number of players, the game will be scaled accurately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håvard Sommerseth
Norway
Kløfta
Kløfta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
But since there is only 2 maps available, some combinations of map and nb of players would be too strong and too weak than other combinations.

Hopefully you are aware of the fact that the boards are 2-sided, so in fact you have 4 boards with room for 2,3,4 or 5 players. Can't think of any better scaling than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hopefully you are aware of the fact that the boards are 2-sided, so in fact you have 4 boards with room for 2,3,4 or 5 players. Can't think of any better scaling than that.

I played a long time ago, but from what I remember, there was a board for 2-3 players, and a board for 4-5 players. It's possible that the original board is slightly more flexible than I thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
larienna wrote:
Quote:

I played a long time ago, but from what I remember, there was a board for 2-3 players, and a board for 4-5 players. It's possible that the original board is slightly more flexible than I thought.

Yes, there is a board for each number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anything confusing about the original post. Yea, small world needed a modular board.

I wonder if Ticket to Ride or Power Grid could pull it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

While passing through my list of games I played that could need a modular board, I realised that some games managed to do it the other way. Instead of making a modular board with multiple configuration, they sell multiple boards instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
double post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
I don't see anything confusing about the original post. Yea, small world needed a modular board.

It would be too much of a pain to create tickets for the modular TTR boards, though that crossed my mind too.

It works GREAT for Small World though. Probably the best, most important expansion for the game so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:

I remember vinci (by the same designer) that had a map of europe when the game was non-historical. So why not a modular board to get more replay value. I managed to make one of vinci pretty easily. It's not that hard.

I agree with you that modular boards are nice.

That said, I think you and I have a different concept of replayability. I think that when a game adds "more stuff", such as a modular board, more races, etc., it's fun the first time, but gets stale fast enough. A truly replayable game is one that is constantly interesting, for which I can try different strategies, etc. Small World with a modular board would of course change the lay of the land, but unless you have scenarios, even if it's a different map, I still play the same way, I'm not wanting to play the game more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.