Subject: Code Name: Sector for PC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain CryBaby
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Greetings Gamers of Earth, goo

I have created a reproduction of CODE NAME: SECTOR for the computing device that you call a PEE SEE.

http://www.stillmixtup.com/CNS.html

This repro is free of charge and the download is clean.

At the above site you will also find useful links to other CN:S stuff online, a pdf manual(fresh scan not that one that is sideways), a printer friendly graph and other info about CN:S.

If enough humans show interest, your species will be deemed worthy and the invasion will be cancelled. I will be monitoring from my secret lair on the planet Foodcourtia. Act or perish? The choice is yours. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Steshenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing click sound! *_*

Notes:
If player click on gray circle with lightning he can't stop sound sequence.
Player can exit from information screen with Backspace key, but not with click on something.
Game window is not resizable.
No keyboard shortcuts. =(
Clickable LEDs... Wait, what?!

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain CryBaby
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hello, silencewalker,

I guess that instead of trying to be cute, I should have explained what this game is about. It is a reproduction of a Parker Bros game from 1977. With the computer secretly tracking the location of a sub, 1 to 4 players plot their positions on a graph in an attempt to locate and sink the sub. It will probably only appeal to those that knew of or owned the original game or people interested in 1977 consumer electronics.

Younger people who are interested should probably poke around with the links, Q&A and manual before trying to dive in on the game.

To respond to your points:

1. the sound sequence for the semaphore will stop when the message is complete. It only runs for about 5 seconds tops.

2. there is a big red X in the 'information screen' that i think you're talking about. It will close the website and return you to the game.

3. The size of the window is set on purpose. The graphics tend to get wonky when resized. With a game like this, there's really no reason or need to resize.

4. keyboard shortcuts? There was no such thing in 1977 which is the time frame this simulation emulates.

5. The LEDs toggle. When lit or flashing, the feature is on, when not lit or flashing, the feature is off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Steshenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reproducing old games, especially suitable for solo play, is great! For example I discover many old game after playing with their digital versions or examining rethemes.
But you reproduced this game as a software and I believe it should meet some requirements.
If you press small white circle with "i" you will get new window with text but neither clicking on close window bottom nor pressing Backspace are intuitive solution.
I tested this program on notebook and pressing in-game keys by moving finger on a small touchpad is much harder and slower than press certain combination on a keyboard. Keyboard shortcuts is common alternative for mouse clicking. I'm sure GameMaker allows to bind actions on keys.
And, speaking of emulating, why you remove panel with turn sequence reference? I think it was handy in original game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain CryBaby
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
My apologies but the only 'requirements' that I recognized was that the game play as close to its original game flow as possible. In that regard, I think it is a great success. It is true that the info screen you are speaking of has no apparent navigation. When left with no alternative, I choose to close the window by hitting the X in the red box in the upper right of the window. Since there is no other choice, I would imagine that everyone playing on a PC will do this and discover that this returns them to the game. I have done zero play testing on systems other than PC and do not intend to do so. As my goal was emulation and not a redesign/rework the option of keyboard shortcuts was considered and purposely discarded. I wanted to keep the window size down to reflect the relatively small interface on the original game. I could have included the turn sequence data at the cost of shrinking the virtual interface. As someone who played the game, it was my experience that I rarely consulted the turn sequence text and never did so once I became accustomed to game play. Again, my audience, with few exceptions, will be those that are familiar with the game from its initial release in 1977.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.