Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

First, a preface: I've been heavily into board games for years now, and I tend to be a big fan of weighty, meaty games with lots of details and a lot of theme. I don't own near as many games as many of you out there, but I'm very picky with my purchases, and I can safely say that the Decktet has been my best purchase by far. I know, it doesn't quite fit my Arkham Horror or Magic Realm appetite, but I love the flexibility of the system, and there are so many good, quality games you can play with it. I think in particular it appeals to the game designer in me. My wife and I have logged more play time with the Decktet than any of my other games, so thanks, Magnus!

Anyway, having read and reread the Decktet book (highly recommended, BTW), I've thought a lot about the Decktet's structure and I got to thinking of the spin that the Decktet puts on a typical deck of cards. Changing a small, tiny detail like having multiple suits per card instead of just one opens so many game design doors, so I thought, "What about multiple numeric values?"

I thought and thought and thought, and then I thought some more. Then I grabbed a scrap of paper and jotted down some notes on numbers. Then I pulled up a spreadsheet and started entering numbers. And suits. Then I got a few game ideas.

Now I want you guys' opinion.

So here are the main concepts:

* 30 cards, each with a white and a black number printed on it, each with one of the six suits from the Decktet. All numbers are 1-10.

* 6 cards, each with a white and a black number on it, and no suit (NOTE: I don't know what the numbers on the no-suit cards will be quite yet, but I have some ideas. The rest of the concepts listed here pertain to the 30 main cards, not these extra six.)

* There's an even distribution of white numbers (three cards for each white number), and a bell-curve (more like pyramid, but...) distribution of black numbers such that there are more middle-valued numbers than small and large ones.

* The average of the sums of the two numbers on every card is 11; there are very few small-small, large-large combinations.

* The suits are distributed such that the total of all of the numbers on each suit's set of cards is the same (55) (if one were to think of the sum of the two numbers on each card as its "power," then this ensures that all of the suits are equally powered).

So far I've come up with an idea for a Magic-like game and a trick-taking game. I have yet to play-test these, but I've got the rules down and a set of playing cards scribbled over with a magic marker, so that's next.

As the title of my post suggests, I originally came up with the idea for this deck as a possible compliment to the Decktet, but complete enough as its own stand-alone deck.

So, what do you guys think? Do the numbers make sense? Do you see any potential problems? How useful/fun would a deck like this be, in particular in relation to the Decktet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I'm glad you're enjoying the Decktet.

gogmagog wrote:
So, what do you guys think? Do the numbers make sense? Do you see any potential problems? How useful/fun would a deck like this be, in particular in relation to the Decktet?

In the end, what matters is whether a deck like this makes it possible to play games that you couldn't play with an already existing deck. The games don't have to be mind-splittingly novel, but it needs to be the case that 1 using the new deck makes a difference and 2 the difference isn't an annoying thing.

Even though I've shared a bunch of Decktet games, there are a bunch more that I haven't put on-line. 1 Some of them could just as well have been played with a standard deck. 2 Some of them required the Decktet but not in ways that were fun. Some of them depended on suits and ranks in such perverse combinations that they really needed a custom deck with text on the cards if they were going to work at all. soblue

As for the white numbers/black numbers deck, the numbers make sense if they allow at least one new game that avoids those pitfalls. Optimally, it will be a game that makes players think that the game would have justified inventing the deck if the deck hadn't already existed.

With the Decktet, different games use the Aces and Crowns in different ways. They can easily be read as 1s and 10s, which is how I meant them originally. But because they are different symbols, they can also be used as something separate from the number ranks.

Your deck has white/black ranks as numerals 1-10, so it would be less natural to make some of the numbers different in kind. Since you are thinking of adding them to make a cards power, maybe numerals are best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.