GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,365 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: If you like this game you'll also like... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Lefebvre
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there an option that allows you to see similar games that you might like if you like a specific game? That is to say, if I like Eclipse and I'm on the Eclipse BGG page, there will be other games listed that I may also like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

There is a section called "Recommendations" on each game's page that offers other games that are similar in nature. Eclipse has none listed, so this isn't much help in that case. But other games have a lot of recs to show you.

I'll be honest, sometimes the games listed seem like strange bedfellows. Asking the question outright in the game's General forum may give you better results from individual players here on BGG.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanthi Gonzales
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Boogie, the world's cutest dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this out: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/shintora/recommendations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Asking the question outright in the game's General forum may give you better results from individual players here on BGG.
To assist the rest of us in making recommendations for you, however, you should be as specific as possible. "I like Eclipse, what else should I try?" isn't going to help us very much, because you're giving us a single data point (and an overly vague one at that); you'll probably get a lot of recommendations for TI3, because that's the other "best" 4X game on the market. "Here are the things I like about Eclipse, here are some things I don't like very much, and here are some other games I've tried and have/haven't liked, and here are some mechanics that sound interesting" gives us a lot more to go on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lefebvre
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Thanks everyone.

I was only using Eclipse as an example for what I trying to get across.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jazgonz wrote:

Wow! Never seen that before
I typed my own user name in there and got mine. But I never figured out where to find the actual link. I would guess somewhere in my profile or on the My Geek menu bar, but I don't see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Based on research, the initial steps are simple:

Start with a game you like. Call that Eclipse.

The system would determine whether people liked Eclipse (7 or higher) or disliked Eclipse (below 7).

It would then go compare ratings of Game B to those who rated Eclipse

For every pair of items, it gives a Weight of Evidence score – you can turn these scores into a list of recommended items for each item. In other words, “People who like Eclipse, also like ……”. This is different than a recommendation for every person, but it works quiet well and people like it and understand it.

This is from a discussion with one of the authors of this paper:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/carlk/papers/C...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
jazgonz wrote:

this has since been disabled for reasons I can't recall (if we were ever given a reason), those links now give

"Error: This feature has been disabled"

anyone remember when and why? apparently after 2012

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
It didn't work very well. Some of the reasons were:
* It only paid attention to games you rated 8+.
* It would list games already owned or in your collection.
* It seemed to favor widely owned (or in-collection) games.
* You always got the same answers.

Even if you changed your ratings to try to manipulate the 8+ threshold, you still got a bunch of owned or widely owned (mass market) games, and always the same list, pretty much.

Asking in the Recommendations forum just works a lot better, even given the tendency for a lot of people to recommend their latest hotness, no matter how little it resembles what the user is asking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.