Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any sense of the unknown in the new version? I'm very excited about 2E, but I'm getting the sense that there isn't much exploration - no, "what's behind THIS door?" moments.

Can someone who has played confirm or deny this impression? Is everything laid out at the beginning, or is there any sense of.... adventure?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing really like that, no. I don't really think the unknown bit is missing though, although most of my 1E games were as overlord so I usually already knew what was going to happen.

I will say that the quest guide spells out that everything in it is public information, though you're free to not let your players see any of it before playing for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethala wrote:
...the quest guide spells out that everything in it is public information...

I find that encouraging. In 1E we were always confused if the game was supposed to balanced when the heroes knew nothing of the adventure or when they were already familiar with it. Of course balance was a huge issue with 1E so it's a moot point. I like that everything is known, so at least it's clear that it's meant to be balanced when the heroes know what's coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethala wrote:
I will say that the quest guide spells out that everything in it is public information, though you're free to not let your players see any of it before playing for the first time.

I know it says that in the front of the book - but BOTH of the FFG employees who led us though games would ONLY give us the flavor text... The objectives are clearly outlined in there - or at least what you need to do to get started - and we would just have to figure out the rest as we went along.

So I am hoping that was kind of overlooked and it is actually supposed to be closer to the first edition (non-RtL) games.

I think the "everything public" most certainly applies to the monster cards etc... But as for my group - we will play it 1e style - unless it is something that is so important they cannot complete without the knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
The problem with hidden information is it will do one of two things.
Either it drastically unbalances the game on the first play because the OL has more information, or it drastically unbalances it on subsequent plays because the balance relied on the hidden information. Either way, it kills replayability almost entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my preference would be to balance it more towards the unknown. With the campaign running 20-39 hours, and more campaigns inevitably coming out, I'll have more than enough to not replay encounters. That being said, it won't detract from the game THAT much for me! I'm totally stoked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, personally I plan on being overlord for our first campaign, at least, so I think I'm going to keep most of the information hidden from the players for suspense. I'll tell them what the special rules are and the actual conditions for success, but beyond that most of the stuff will be secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
The problem with hidden information is it will do one of two things.
Either it drastically unbalances the game on the first play because the OL has more information, or it drastically unbalances it on subsequent plays because the balance relied on the hidden information. Either way, it kills replayability almost entirely.

I look at it this way: The first time through the surprise and suspense may give the overlord a small advantage, but it is worth it for the fun. Then the second time through if the information is really that good it will help us to win then. I kind of like losing a scenario a couple of times first. It makes winning that much sweeter.

Of course I like doom a bit more than descent (even though I'm a HUGE fantasy fan) because of the difficulty of winning the game for the marines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The quest guide clearly states that everything in there is public knowledge for both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.