Descent: The Sea of Blood» Forums » Rules

Subject: familiars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Huskamp
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
In the final battle with an avatar, what happens to the familiars if the hero that has that ability/skill card dies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noro_Ragnorok wrote:
In the final battle with an avatar, what happens to the familiars if the hero that has that ability/skill card dies?

nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Huskamp
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
So they can still move around and do their thing as if the hero is still there (or give a die boost for pico)
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Well, the official rules are unfortunately vague. This is the only situation where a hero is permanently removed from play.

However, IIRC, a familiar officially gets to act after its controlling hero has finished his/her turn. Since that hero no longer takes turns, being dead and gone, the familiar would just sit there and not do anything until the game ended. For some familiars, this is equivalent to being removed from the board, for others, not so much.

IMHO:
Skye would remain stationary and continue to reduce the armor of any monsters that stop beside her.

Pico would remain effective if he had been passed off to another hero before the death of his original owner. If he was still held by Ronan, he would be lost like all equipment that hero held.

Boggs would continue to prevent spawning from his stationary position, although I doubt that would amount to much during the Final Battle.

Shadow Soul would make one space unoccupiable, which may or may not be very inconvenient, depending on where exactly he was standing. Figures of both teams could still move through him, though.

The ferrets could theoretically be handed stuff, but without activating they would be unable to give anything they were holding back to a living hero. They could functionally be removed along with anything they were holding.

I don't remember how the bird's healing thing is worded. It may still work for heroes who go stand on her.

Furr would be useless. Not only can he not attack without being able to activate, but he can't possibly be within 3 spaces of a figure who is no longer on the board.

The bottle imp, as an item, would officially be removed from play when the hero died. Just as another hero could not recover a potion or a weapon carried by the dead hero, so could they not recover the imp. Since the dead hero is not on the map, nothing can be adjacent to him, either.

The eyes thing I'm not sure about. I forget how it's effect is worded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Agree about Pico. Alex would still be usable, too, if the avatar was Captain Bones (dungeon = naval encounter) and if he had beed transferred in time. Fact is, those two need not be activated.
And I suppose Sky would remain in place, which could be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.