Jordan Saïd
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I've been a fan of fighting games since I was 10, and I've also sucked at them for that long. I love board games, so to me the logical solution was to make a board game about fighting games, hence this.

I spent several months working on a previous draft, but I recently did a radical overhaul. I removed almost all randomization (all you need is a single d12, although you'll probably want to have more d12s around) and streamlined the game to make it go faster. I'll post both drafts, since at the moment, each has pros and cons, and I want to sort out what's what.

————————————————————

"Dice"-Draft
· Earlier draft.
· Every action has a dice roll.
· Text-based descriptions on cards.
· In the most cart-before-horse thing I've ever done, I made Character Cards for every single character who ever had a lifebar in a Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, or Art of Fighting game, and a few who didn't!
· Secondary cards: Item Cards, Striker Cards, Tech Cards, purchasable Move Cards.
· Rectangular cards.
· Friendlier to newbies.
· Nearly everyone has the same HP; I hadn't yet gotten around to differentiating them.
· I wrote an example game!
· Partially playtested and liked by the playtesters!

Game Rules: Here.
Example Game: Here.
Intent Point Chart: Here. Intent Points serve as the game's currency.
Dice Combo Chart: Here.
Character Card Sheets:
Capcom
World Warriors (Main Capcom Sheet)
Other Street Fighter II Characters
Street Fighter I
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter III (1st Sheet)
Street Fighter III (2nd Sheet)
Street Fighter IV
Final Fight
Miscellaneous Capcom (Ingrid, Noembelu, Titanic Tim, Mike)
SNK
King of Fighters (Main Characters)
King of Fighters ('94 Characters)
King of Fighters ('94-'95 Characters)
King of Fighters ('95-'97 Characters)
King of Fighters: Orochi
King of Fighters: NESTS (1st Sheet)
King of Fighters: NESTS (2nd Sheet)
King of Fighters: Ash Saga
SNK Bosses (1st Sheet)
SNK Bosses (2nd Sheet)
Multi-State Characters (Tung Fu Rue, Jhun Hoon, May Lee, Shion)
South Town: Fatal Fury (Fatal Fury 1-2, Mr. Karate)
South Town: Fatal Fury (Later Games)
South Town: Mark of the Wolves (1st Sheet)
South Town: Mark of the Wolves (2nd Sheet)
South Town: Art of Fighting (1st Sheet)
South Town: Art of Fighting (2nd Sheet)
Marvel
X-Men (Marvel vs. Capcom 2)
Secondary Cards:
Game Cards (i.e. sets of house rules)
Item Cards (Just a knife for now)
Purchasable Special Move Cards
Striker Cards
Technique Cards
Board: Here. I've only made one so far, based on the practice room in Super Street Fighter IV. I have many, many ideas for more, but again, I want to get this game play-tested before I commit too far.
Tiles:
Status Tiles (to mark a player's status)
Item Tiles (to mark that a character has an item, just a knife for now)

————————————————————

"Euro"-Draft
· Newer draft.
· Extremely little randomization.
· Shorter, simpler rules.
· Fewer characters (although I have every intention of changing this).
· Icon-based card system.
· Square cards (for ease of identifying players; each player can take a cardinal direction).
· Less reading.
· No secondary cards (yet).
· Shorter play time (probably).
· Probably easier to play in the long run.

Game Rules: Here.
Intent Point Chart: Here. Intent Points serve as the game's currency.
Icon Chart: Here.
Character Card Sheets: Original World Warriors and The New Challengers and 2 D-Listers. I plan to eventually make every Street Fighter character playable—and I even have the data to do so—but I'd like to balance the more popular characters first.
Board: Here. Same as in the old draft, just with differently-shaped spaces.

————————————————————

Obviously, I don't expect you guys to test and use every card, but whatever subset of the game you feel like playing, I feel like hearing about!

I personally feel that either draft moves at a fast pace and allows for lots of variations on play. Unfortunately, both only currently exist in a very embryonic form. As of yet, for the newer draft, I only have one board and 19 Character Cards…

http://i.imgur.com/2voio.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tAI0C.jpg

My hope is to make a game that takes the fast pace of a fighting game but allows a fighting chance for those of us who don't think at fighting game speed.

More than anything, I've just had lots of trouble getting feedback, so any that you'd have, I'd greatly appreciate. I'd like to merge these two drafts into a draft that takes the best of both worlds, but I can't figure out what constitutes "the best" on my own. Please criticize all you want; I want to make the best game I can make here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Plane Fighter: A Street Fighter Fanboardgame. You should play it!
Oh, wow, that's a lot of icons. I'm slightly intimidated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. Each player brings a deck of cards. A deck can have any cards
and players can use as many cards as they each want.

Does that just refer to regular poker cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Saïd
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
kurthl33t wrote:
Oh, wow, that's a lot of icons. I'm slightly intimidated.

A very good point! I feel a bit conflicted. On the one hand, I think the icons will make sense once you get the hang of them, since I tried to base them as much as possible on intuition. On the other, the cards probably do have a higher learning curve.

My thought was to take often-repeated text and make icons to save space. I'm not sure if it worked.

Here's my Sagat card in this draft and the previous draft (which had a lot of randomization) for comparison. What do you think in terms of reading ease and whatnot?

Thank you for your input, by the way!

kurthl33t wrote:
Does that just refer to regular poker cards?

That just means there are no restrictions on deckbuilding for the cards in this game. As much of any kind of card as you want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the earlier draft is more clear to someone coming at the game completely cold, like me. I understand Move 2, Guard 5, Block 10, and so forth. That doesn't mean it's a better card, but it is friendlier to newbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Saïd
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I think you're onto something, so I just updated the original post with my previous draft. If anybody wants to play or offer feedback on either one—seriously, any feedback, even just what you saw from glancing at it—I'd greatly appreciate it! If I sound desperate, it's because I've had one heck of a time getting people interested in this, so please let me know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap... You've put a LOT of effort into this game! I haven't even heard of most of these games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Saïd
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey, what can I say? I never liked half-measures!

From what you've said, it sounds like my earlier draft is more worthwhile to work on than the newer one. I still can't decide whether the game works better with or without dice rolls.

I mostly kept the dice rolls in because any dice roll with three or more dice approximates the normal distribution (a bell curve), so I figured RPG stuff like crits and whiffs could get modeled very easily and somewhat realistically. When we playtested, it seemed to slow down the game a bit, but it also made it a little more exciting at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nemo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This.... I like this. A lot. I'd like to play it. Hell, I think I could convince some non-Boardgamers to play it.

Throw in an expansion for Capcom Versus Blank characters, and I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Saïd
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
John Nemo wrote:
This.... I like this. A lot. I'd like to play it. Hell, I think I could convince some non-Boardgamers to play it.

Throw in an expansion for Capcom Versus Blank characters, and I'm in!

Awesome! If you do decide to play it, please tell me if I made anything unclear as to setup or rules! I can work in some Versus sheets; no problem at all. Any particular characters you'd like to use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nemo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvel characters mostly, although I have often wondered about darkstalkers......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Saïd
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
John Nemo wrote:
Marvel characters mostly, although I have often wondered about darkstalkers......

Very cool; I could work a few in! Which draft do you prefer, the old one or the new one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Saïd
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
All right, man. You asked for it; you got it!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60479743/Old/Marvel.01.png

I'll have more sheets done when I can. I figured I'd put the X-Men characters first. As it happens, I've been an X-Men fan for as long as I've been a fighting game fan (in fact, I've worked on a different fanboardgame for years involving the X-Men!), so this turned out very easy for me. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nemo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

I'm liking the looks of the first draft a bit more. I know the randomness is scaled back in the second, but I perfer to think of it as if the other player has done something unexpected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.