Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
Brettspielblog.net
badge
Visit my blog: www.brettspielblog.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey
a question to everyone who played the game already.
The first quest:
to me it's kinda stupid. the overlord has to get 5 goblins through the map. when just playing with 2 heroes you only start with 3 of them an in most cases you need minimum two rounds to get those of the map assuming no one will be killed.
The heroes just have to kill the ettin and in most cases there is just one. okay he can throw 2 defence dice, but in most cases the heroes should have killed him within the third round or at least in the fourth round bevore the overlord player can take his turn.
i like the other scenarios but i don't know where the fun is in the first one.

maybe sobody can open my eyes or give me some strategy tipps for the overlord player.

i am supporting a preview event where it's recommended to play this scenario with the interested players, but i find it so boring and stupid that i tend to play the second one, which seems way more interessting, althoug it's very short and has no real ending, but it would be a good example for the imppact of the outcome of the first encounter on the second one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine that the first quest is heavily tilted toward the Heroes as far as balance goes, and that the Overlord doesn't have much chance of winning against a competent, experienced hero party. It was somewhat this way in first edition, and makes sense as the OL is usually the one teaching the game and so they tilt the first "teaching" scenario in favor of those learning the game for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Durden
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
Brettspielblog.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okay but just move two times, attack three times, quest is over ^^
with good cards you can make it a bit longer ...
in generall i really really like the short quest, but 15 minutes .... ^^
well i think it's just for the story

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Haven't seen it for myself, but I hope the winning strategy is not...
1) simply run the goblins acorss the map.
2) Run the Ettin away from the heroes.

This kind of silly crap is what I'm afraid of with the ditching of the OL want to kill the heroes goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a two-player game, the boss has 9 HP total, which isn't incredibly easy for the heroes to kill, especially with two grey dice for defense. I would say the best strategy may actually be to get the ettin in front of the heroes so they can't reach the goblins, and use him as a shield to get the goblins past. Keep in mind that a Dash card will give a goblin enough movement to get from the tile they spawn on to off the map in a single turn (the heroes do get a full turn after it spawns to attack it, however).

There's no room for the ettin to run, either, so playing keep-away won't work, and the goblins die fast enough that if you just rely on the heroes not killing them, you'll fail.

That being said, I think a big part of this quest as far as campaign progression is the search tokens; trying to kill the boss, prevent the goblins from running past, and get all the tokens for gold won't be terribly easy. Beyond that though, this is the only quest where the winning side doesn't get extra rewards, so I don't think it's intended for it to be a challenge to the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this scenario a few times now, and yeah, it's not a deep, involved encounter. It isn't meant to be.

It absolutely introduces new players to quick combat and efficient use of your two actions (on both sides).

I've seen the heroes win quickly, and the OL win quickly. The common denominator here is "quickly."

It's an intro scenario. It's is long as it needs to be to cut your teeth on the game, which is not very.

The real meat starts with the 2nd half of quest two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Visit my website: www.fillharttech.com where I blog about fixing retro game systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a chance to play first blood last night to get ready for the Retailer Preview Weekend starting tomorrow. Like the other posts say, there isn't much to this quest since it's to get old and new players alike ready for how the rest of the game will play out. I was able to play a 2 player game with only 2 heroes.

OL Strategy: if you can get the ettin up to block some or all of the initial hallway to let goblins by, then you'll have the win very quickly.

Hero Strategy: Have you heavy hitter target the ettin to drop him quickly and keep a support character hanging behind to pick off goblins or just charge in and hope you can get the ettin down very quickly.

I was lucky while playing the OL to get all of my dash cards very early on and had 4 goblins out by the time my ettin was almost dead. Many have stated that each quest will come down to the last turn and so did my entry game, if the heroes didn't kill my ettin, I would have won as the OL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the rewards for First Blood for both the heroes and the OL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Nothing except the standard 1 XP each, regardless of who wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Nothing except the standard 1 XP each, regardless of who wins.

Plus, as a standalone quest, the winner would, well, be the winner.

As the campaign intro, another extra "reward" is choosing the next quest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Motola
msg tools
Strategies

Don't forget the heroic actions.
Don't forget that you can spend fatigue as movement points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the overlord with newbies for First Blood:

-I always tend to run with regular goblins, making sure they don't end adjacent to a hero. The master goblin I might move/attack with. the Dash overlord card is enough to get a goblin through in one move!

-as with the goblin positioning, I don't end my Ettin next to heroes. I either reach, or attack, then move back.

-My main target is usually the knight/berserker, the one most likely to take out an ettin. He or she will be the recieving end of many traps and clubs.

-don't forget the extra health the ettin gets in this quest

In the demos I have run, I tend to get 3-4 goblins through, sometimes with one or two turns left before I would have "won".

I do let newbies know that I will not go easy on them, and the sure path to victory is if they work together, heightening the tension, and hearing them give the delightful squee they will make when i tell the hero to knock the giant over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Conolly
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play this scenario as a precursor to the campaign then the Heroes priority has to be grab all the treasure! Win or lose the XP reward is the same.

Though grabbing the treasure can be tricky we found Asrian's stun ability very useful against the Goblins (bear in mind that it doesn't affect the Master Goblin who is not a minion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kerred wrote:
-don't forget the extra health the ettin gets in this quest

Oh man, that would have changed so much. I was playing against three heroes just now for our first game and figured it was impossible. I managed to get only one goblin out and knock one hero out before the end of good ole Mauler the First. The whole affair took an embarrassing two and half rounds.

Is there any special rule I've overlooked about master / named monsters receiving conditions? It feels wrong to have Mauler stunned on the first turn. That severely crippled my ability to do anything on turn one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Durden
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
Brettspielblog.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fconolly wrote:
(bear in mind that it doesn't affect the Master Goblin who is not a minion)

what do you mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toerck wrote:
fconolly wrote:

what do you mean?

D2E rules wrote:
Tan monsters represent minion monsters and red monsters represent master monsters, more powerful versions of
the minion monsters.

Monsters are grouped together by type, and a monster group can contain both minion and master monsters.

However, minion and master monsters do not have attributes. If a minion or master monster is required to make an attribute test, it automatically fails the test.

For each monster type in the game, there are two different varieties: minions and masters. Minions are represented by tan monster figures and are the basic monsters. Master monsters are represented by red monster figures and are more powerful than minions. Monster cards list the information for both minion and master monsters of each monster type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Durden
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
Brettspielblog.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and so why should the stun ability not affect the master minions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Smith

New Hampshire
msg tools
toerck wrote:

First off, it is Minion Monster and Master Monster. I have no idea where you are getting this "master minion" stuff from.

As Tom pointed out:
D2E rules wrote:
Tan monsters represent minion monsters and red monsters represent master monsters, more powerful versions of
the minion monsters.

The ability reads:

"When a minion monster begins its activation adjacent to you, it is Stunned"

I think it is pretty straight forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
toerck wrote:
fconolly wrote:

what do you mean?

Asrain's ability only affects minion (beige) monsters, not masters (red monsters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Draffut wrote:
toerck wrote:

First off, it is Minion Monster and Master Monster. I have no idea where you are getting this "master minion" stuff from.

As Tom pointed out:
D2E rules wrote:
the minion monsters.

The ability reads:

"When a minion monster begins its activation adjacent to you, it is Stunned"

I think it is pretty straight forward.

Dude, your answer is pretty freaking condescending. This distinction has been overlooked by many. I think you owe that guy an apology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.