Recommend
26 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: And my opinion continues to decline. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: grammar_rant [+] [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

So I began to Google the question "is ancient dna easier to extract from bones or teeth," and this is what Google suggests to me. Good job, humanity. I'll leave it to the reader to find the multitude of problems within.



26 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I don't get it. Is it the fact that so many people watch that show and think that it could be real or is it the lack of capitalization?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mb

-DK
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
That's a pretty wide open question for Google. By "easier", do you mean with greater yield? With less degraded DNA? Or just fewer technician-hours per µg? Google undoubtedly thought of all these things, couldn't decide which you wanted, and suffered a nervous breakdown.
16 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
I don't get it. Is it the fact that so many people watch that show and think that it could be real or is it the lack of capitalization?

It's mainly the lack of subject/verb agreement for the first two, coupled with the fact that people are Googling to find out if aliens really are responsible for the ancient world.

Then there's the amusement of enough people using Google to find out if something is on Netflix rather than to just check Netflix itself.

And yes, "Rome" is capitalized, although they could be querying to see if the word "ancient" is capitalized, too.

Mainly it's the first two.

11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
That's a pretty wide open question for Google. By "easier", do you mean with greater yield? With less degraded DNA? Or just fewer technician-hours per µg? Google undoubtedly thought of all these things, couldn't decide which you wanted, and suffered a nervous breakdown.

Okay, so I guess I should explain why I was wondering. It seems someone has stolen the teeth of Brahms and Strauss from their graves, taped it, then uploaded it to YouTube. I was wondering if they were after the DNA, and a friend stated that she would have guessed bone would have been the better choice.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
amwiles wrote:
It's mainly the lack of subject/verb agreement for the first two, . . .


Yeah, but look what happens if you do this:

 


No, yes, somewhat, no.
12 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
52 
 Thumb up
0.43
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Carlough
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
thermogimp wrote:
I don't get it. Is it the fact that so many people watch that show and think that it could be real or is it the lack of capitalization?

It's mainly the lack of subject/verb agreement for the first two, coupled with the fact that people are Googling to find out if aliens really are responsible for the ancient world.


Since 'Ancient Aliens' is the title of a TV show, referring to it in the singular is (I believe) correct. Just like one might say "Is Ricochet Robots fun?" Even though the title refers to something plural, the thing itself referred to by the title is a singular game/show.

The grammar made me cry for a second before I saw 'is ancient aliens on netflix' and realized it was a stupid TV show.

Also, I would Google if something is on Netflix, just like I google stuff to find it on Wikipedia. With the magic of Chrome/FFox you just type 'ancient aliens netflix' into the search bar instead of typing netflix.com, going to netflix and THEN searching. Googling just lets you skip a step.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alexiscarlough wrote:
amwiles wrote:
thermogimp wrote:
I don't get it. Is it the fact that so many people watch that show and think that it could be real or is it the lack of capitalization?

It's mainly the lack of subject/verb agreement for the first two, coupled with the fact that people are Googling to find out if aliens really are responsible for the ancient world.


Since 'Ancient Aliens' is the title of a TV show, referring to it in the singular is (I believe) correct. Just like one might say "Is Ricochet Robots fun?" Even though the title refers to something plural, the thing itself referred to by the title is a singular game/show.

The grammar made me cry for a second before I saw 'is ancient aliens on netflix' and realized it was a stupid TV show.

Also, I would Google if something is on Netflix, just like I google stuff to find it on Wikipedia. With the magic of Chrome/FFox you just type 'ancient aliens netflix' into the search bar instead of typing netflix.com, going to netflix and THEN searching. Googling just lets you skip a step.


I'm still pretty sure they're not Googling to find out if the show is real but to find out if aliens are real.

Edit to add: Maybe they do mean is the show "for real." Oh, well. But focus, people! Composers teeth have been stolen! whistle

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
robigo wrote:
That's a pretty wide open question for Google. By "easier", do you mean with greater yield? With less degraded DNA? Or just fewer technician-hours per µg? Google undoubtedly thought of all these things, couldn't decide which you wanted, and suffered a nervous breakdown.

Okay, so I guess I should explain why I was wondering. It seems someone has stolen the teeth of Brahms and Strauss from their graves, taped it, then uploaded it to YouTube. I was wondering if they were after the DNA, and a friend stated that she would have guessed bone would have been the better choice.

Oops—I forgot to ask the age range. We're talking less than 150 years, yes? My initial guess is that bone would have higher yield and be easier to extract, but is more susceptible to degradation and contamination with DNA from whatever creepy crawlies have been munching on the decedents. (The latter might not be a huge deal if they're interested in human-specific markers.)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Carlough
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
alexiscarlough wrote:
amwiles wrote:
thermogimp wrote:
I don't get it. Is it the fact that so many people watch that show and think that it could be real or is it the lack of capitalization?

It's mainly the lack of subject/verb agreement for the first two, coupled with the fact that people are Googling to find out if aliens really are responsible for the ancient world.


Since 'Ancient Aliens' is the title of a TV show, referring to it in the singular is (I believe) correct. Just like one might say "Is Ricochet Robots fun?" Even though the title refers to something plural, the thing itself referred to by the title is a singular game/show.

The grammar made me cry for a second before I saw 'is ancient aliens on netflix' and realized it was a stupid TV show.

Also, I would Google if something is on Netflix, just like I google stuff to find it on Wikipedia. With the magic of Chrome/FFox you just type 'ancient aliens netflix' into the search bar instead of typing netflix.com, going to netflix and THEN searching. Googling just lets you skip a step.


I'm still pretty sure they're not Googling to find out if the show is real but to find out if aliens are real.


I would ask 'Is Mythbusters real' or 'Is Mythbusters bullshit' (ie is the show real/factual or full of shit).

/shrug
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
amwiles wrote:
robigo wrote:
That's a pretty wide open question for Google. By "easier", do you mean with greater yield? With less degraded DNA? Or just fewer technician-hours per µg? Google undoubtedly thought of all these things, couldn't decide which you wanted, and suffered a nervous breakdown.

Okay, so I guess I should explain why I was wondering. It seems someone has stolen the teeth of Brahms and Strauss from their graves, taped it, then uploaded it to YouTube. I was wondering if they were after the DNA, and a friend stated that she would have guessed bone would have been the better choice.

Oops—I forgot to ask the age range. We're talking less than 150 years, yes? My initial guess is that bone would have higher yield and be easier to extract, but is more susceptible to degradation and contamination with DNA from whatever creepy crawlies have been munching on the decedents. (The latter might not be a huge deal if they're interested in human-specific markers.)

Maybe they're trying to clone them. Or make a composer hybrid.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
Anyone who feels the need to use Google to determine if the show "Ancient Aliens" is real or not is an idiot.

Darilian
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Carlough
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Anyone who feels the need to use Google to determine if the show "Ancient Aliens" is real or not is an idiot.

Darilian


That I can't argue with.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Look, I see a squirrel.

I do
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This just gives me flashbacks of "How is babby formed?"
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they were trying to find out if ancient Rome was capitalized (made the capital of the Roman Empire?) by ancient aliens?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What's an Ancient Alien show? I guess I don't watch as much TV as I used to...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the Tooth Fairy isn't getting enough work lately?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
amwiles wrote:
It's mainly the lack of subject/verb agreement for the first two, . . .


Yeah, but look what happens if you do this:

 


No, yes, somewhat, no.


Agreed. Whenever I use an ancient curse I get an earful from my wife about my language. Not worth it.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
amwiles wrote:
thermogimp wrote:
I don't get it. Is it the fact that so many people watch that show and think that it could be real or is it the lack of capitalization?

It's mainly the lack of subject/verb agreement for the first two, coupled with the fact that people are Googling to find out if aliens really are responsible for the ancient world.

Then there's the amusement of enough people using Google to find out if something is on Netflix rather than to just check Netflix itself.

And yes, "Rome" is capitalized, although they could be querying to see if the word "ancient" is capitalized, too.

Mainly it's the first two.



They agree because it's referring to the TV show, which would be considered singular, even though the "aliens" in the title is a pluralization.

Also, pic related.

11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
thermogimp wrote:
I don't get it. Is it the fact that so many people watch that show and think that it could be real or is it the lack of capitalization?

It's mainly the lack of subject/verb agreement for the first two,



I love snobbery as much as the next guy. More. Still...

Why would I talk to a computer like I'd speak to a human? The point of language is communication .... Google got the gist, I'm not trying to impress Google. (OK, I'm trying to impress Google a little. But if I want to spend real effort to impress a website, I'm going to try and convince Amazon that Jacqui ordered all those romance novels).

And the "Aliens are responsible" meme goes back decades (Chariots of the Gods anyone?). We routinely underestimate the cleverness of the ancients, so moving giant blocks without cranes strikes people as impossible.

It's being shown on HISTORY channel, so I'll offer that the subset of humanity running the channel and not the viewers are the more dangerous parts. I'm more annoyed by the people not checking a secondary source.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
amwiles wrote:
thermogimp wrote:
I don't get it. Is it the fact that so many people watch that show and think that it could be real or is it the lack of capitalization?

It's mainly the lack of subject/verb agreement for the first two, coupled with the fact that people are Googling to find out if aliens really are responsible for the ancient world.

Then there's the amusement of enough people using Google to find out if something is on Netflix rather than to just check Netflix itself.

And yes, "Rome" is capitalized, although they could be querying to see if the word "ancient" is capitalized, too.

Mainly it's the first two.



They agree because it's referring to the TV show, which would be considered singular, even though the "aliens" in the title is a pluralization.

Also, pic related.

PIC SNIPPED


Having taught for 10 years, I would guarantee that the more "educated" questions on the right are coming from kids doing history homework and typing in the question exactly as worded.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.