Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have found it. The secret 'Jumpy Virus' easter egg rumored to be buried in the game. I'm not sure yet, it'll take more testing, but here's what I've found so far:

When you turn on the console, it asks you to enter your difficulty level (skill). Press the 'R' key. The console will beep at you and ask you to enter your skill. Press 'R' a second time. It'll beep again and ask you to enter your skill. Press 'R' a third time, and the virus will laugh at you and then spout a random quote (I think it's random). Then it'll ask you to enter your skill again. This time enter your skill (0-2).

The game will play along normally, and once you find the virus it seems to stay put in that room...until you've gathered the gear and are ready to destroy it. Then it may move to a different room. I think it's a random room in the same sector. I haven't seen the virus jump before I've collected all three pieces of gear.

Testing all of this is a little tricky, because you have to find the virus and all of the gear first. Which means you're playing the entire game, and listening to that voice over and over. There's only so much testing one man can take!

The first time I tried this I found the virus at 1.1.2. I had all the gear already and fired and missed. The virus jumped over to 1.1.1.

I tried another game (again entering the 'RRR' code) and found the virus at 2.1.2. When I'd collected the final piece of gear it had moved to 2.0.2.

I've tried it a couple of more times and sure enough, the virus is jumpy.

Give it a try and see what your results are. But based on a few run throughs I'd say this looks like the 'Jumpy Virus' secret variant.

ps - I just thrifted this game and played it for the first time today. I hopped on YouTube to see if there were any fun videos about it, and saw the reference by the designer to a 'hidden mode' noted here in the forums. Of course I immediately had to pull the thrift copy back off the shelf and see if I could find that secret mode!

I'd say Jumpy Virus makes the game a bit more challenging.

It definitely needs more testing to be sure. Dust off your copy and let me know what you find!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other note. I just watched the Shawn Murphy video again that mentions the possibility of a secret code. Surprisingly he actually says pressing R three times makes the virus laugh, but does nothing else. I didn't recall that from the video.

Perhaps he'd been told that 'the virus moves every turn', but it's actually 'the virus may move every turn after you've gathered the gear', so he assumed the code didn't work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Harker

Kalamazoo
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just confirmed this tonight on my copy.

When asked to enter skill level,
I hit R. It repeats the question, hit R again,
repeat, the game laughs. When I did this, it laughed
and then laughed again a little differently. Not sure
if that's the random quote I got or what.
Anyway, played the game normally and found the Omega Virus
before getting all 3 ADVs. I went back and the virus was still
there, I attacked and failed. After that, it moved.
From 1.1.1 to 1.1.0. I failed again, and it moved to 1.2.1
After yet another failure, I was unable to find the virus.
The other sectors all shut down so it had to be in Green, but try as
I might I could not locate it. It may be that it actually jumps
every turn, whether you found it or not...
This really makes the game harder and puts even more stress on
the endgame rush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Knight
United States
Deltona
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the most awesome thing, will have to try it sometime!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Thank you. This is very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Ervin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We found this post and tried the variant last night. Something to note - this appears to cause the internal clock to run twice as fast! We were getting 5 minute warnings every 2.5 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd tried this out a couple times (solo) back when it was first revealed.

What seems to happen is the Virus remains in one position until someone attacks it. Assuming they miss, only then does it jump to a new random location.

If you're playing on a difficulty setting where sectors shut down there's a decent chance you'll find it at least once more, maybe twice if you got to it early enough the first time or find the new location right away. If you're on the setting where sectors don't shut down, finding the Virus again to take second shot will be entirely dumb luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.