Subject: Retiring investigators rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Subramanian Krishnamurthy
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
Seems to me that the possibility to retire investigators makes the game very easy. I can trade all my items to someone else, take 2 madness and/or injury cards (or does it have to be 2 EACH?!), retire and take a new investigator. And I can keep doing this and get lots of useful stuff without doing anything!

Until now, we had overlooked the possibility of investigators retiring. Monterey Jack played with 4 madness cards and every one else had 2 against Cthulhu and still we won!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
subrak13 wrote:
Seems to me that the possibility to retire investigators makes the game very easy. I can trade all my items to someone else, take 2 madness and/or injury cards (or does it have to be 2 EACH?!), retire and take a new investigator. And I can keep doing this and get lots of useful stuff without doing anything!

Until now, we had overlooked the possibility of investigators retiring. Monterey Jack played with 4 madness cards and every one else had 2 against Cthulhu and still we won!

Retiring is not always benificial. You loose all your skills, clues, allies, trophies... Those can not be traded.

Loosing gate trophies alone can cost you the game, since they are part of the win conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In practice, the benefits of new starting equipment aren't nearly enough to make up for having failed enough to have two madnesses or injuries, plus the turn wasted on retiring, plus the (probably) useless turn when you give away your items; the new equipment is a nice to have, but not nearly worth the price in time.

In most situations, if you have that many I&M's, your party is likely too pressed for time to have leisure for retirement... best to just soldier on, unless the combination of limitations is especially punishing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike devouring, retiring costs you a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
It's two total, but you can't just "take" them. You've got to be knocked out or driven insane, then retire during the next upkeep. If you haven't already given your stuff away, that's an extra turn.

It also depends on which investigator you come up with. Bob, Mike, George and a few others don't start with any clues and quite a few only start with one.

Like everything in Arkahm, it's all about decisions, probablilities and how closely the AO is watching you. I haven't done it much, usually when an investigator has been particularly brutal in failing everything or doesn't have any items to lose or trade.

Last time, Carolyn had two Injury and had gotten pounded by Cthulhu in R'lyeh (1/1 max sanity and stamina). That really wasn't a decision; that was a necessity.

Now, if you're playing Black Goat and someone has eight or nine corruption and two madness, go for it!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be done, but as pointed out, it will take turns and other things.

Anyway, we ruled here that if a investigator retires or is devoured, the AO gains one doom token.

If a person give it up on helping humanity (or dies in the process) against such a dire menace, them hope dies a little and strengthens the AO plot and make the job of its minions easier.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.