Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hulsebus
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I tell you why this is a bad game, let me show you why it is a fun game.

Let me tell you about this game:
-Roll and move
-Luck-dependent
-Cheesy
-Comes with a VHS tape

Your friends are what make this game fun. If you don't think your friends can turn this into a fun game, skip it.

I'm not going to waste my time explaining the rules, because there are very few of them. But what you do need to know is that there is a VHS tape which a cheesy scary guy called the gate keeper. You are supposed to talk to him/the TV during the course of the game and he gives you different time sensitive tasks to do and occasionally randomly helps or hurts people. It's silly, but if you have people that will play along with it, it's fun.

I think the best strategy to the game is to play the game as fast as possible: the game is time dependant and so if you take slow turns, there's no way you're going to win.

Are you reading this review because you are at the thrift store now? Yes? Is the game like $3? Do you have a way to play a VHS tape? Ok, buy it.

Is it being sold for $15 on the BGG marketplace? Skip it.

You're only going to play this game once. After that, all the mystery of the game will be gone and maybe you can play it again if you find new people to play it with and wait a year or two before playing again so you forget some of it.

Here is the commercial for the game. That should help give you a feel for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Great pictures - they show why this game is such good fun.

I recommend people find one of the newer DVD versions. Much easier to play and great for Halloween.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Great pictures - they show why this game is such good fun.

I recommend people find one of the newer DVD versions. Much easier to play and great for Halloween.

Even better with a few drinks first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bailey Crawly
Canada
flag msg tools
I don't knwo what you guys are talking about! The DVD games SUCKED and the VHS games ROCKED! If you see this game at a retail price, GET IT! Don't let this fun, rare treat pass you by! Don't listen to the negative people out there that don't like the game becase their friends are borng. Get the game anyway it has provided hours of fun for me and my family!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stripeddancer wrote:
I don't knwo what you guys are talking about! The DVD games SUCKED and the VHS games ROCKED! If you see this game at a retail price, GET IT! Don't let this fun, rare treat pass you by! Don't listen to the negative people out there that don't like the game becase their friends are borng. Get the game anyway it has provided hours of fun for me and my family!

It is a lot of fun (althought I prefer the DVD - and more people are likely to have a DVD player these days!). But I wouldn't call it rare. I must see about four of these a month in charity shops (VHS version) and a DVD copy about once a month (not including all the variants with the mummy, witch, etc.). You shouldn't need to pay anywhere near retail price for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bailey Crawly
Canada
flag msg tools
I have ordered them online for $300 per game. They are very rare. The release company no longer exists, and the games are extremely rare. I have NEVER seen a copy of Nightmare II, III, or IV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stripeddancer wrote:
I have ordered them online for $300 per game. They are very rare. The release company no longer exists, and the games are extremely rare. I have NEVER seen a copy of Nightmare II, III, or IV.

Wow - it would be cheaper for you to move to England. I guess it's something to do with distribution, because you can picked these up for less than £2 here. I leave these on the shelves in charity shops I see them so often! (I actually got banished from the thrift list for leaving Nightmare IV on a shelf once.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bailey Crawly
Canada
flag msg tools
I wish I was in England... I want Nightmares II to IV SOO BAD! I've played them all, but only have Game One!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.