Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
If I've got a speed trap in play:
Quote:
0: Jack out before an upgrade or node takes effect. use this ability only immediately after the corp has rezzed that upgrade or node.

Now if I access HQ from a run and I encounter Setup! or Virus Test Site which both have cost 0 and can do damage even if they are not installed, can I still jack out? i.e. can I jack out using speed trap or do ambush nodes, accessed from HQ, not count as rezzed?

In other words: Speed Trap can only be used to avoid ambush nodes in subsidiary data forts, if the node requires a rez to function.

Virus test site even further avoids that issue since it still does net damage even if it isn't rezzed. The corp player can therefore advance Virus Test Site and refuse to rez it, so the runner can't use the speed trap to avoid the effect and still get the entire effect from the card.

What am I missing? The ambushes are ridiculously good and I can't find a reliable way to avoid them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Stunke wrote:
(…)In other words: Speed Trap can only be used to avoid ambush nodes in subsidiary data forts, if the node requires a rez to function.(…)
Correct.
See here as well: http://www.netrunneronline.com/cards/speed-trap/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Thanks a lot. I couldn't find that site for some odd reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ambushes are definitely fun, and can be effective, but Runner has counters ...

It's just Net damage - install some defenses and/or run with a hand full of cards. If you're using fast draw + MRAM, use a Skullcap for "insurance", and forget permanent defenses.

You have detection cards to look at what's inside the SDFs - one peek can make an ambushed SDF worthless. IIRC there's at least one in every Starter (Hunt Club, Mouse, SeeYa).

Namatoki + Test Site looks troublesome, but it takes a lot of actions to set one up ... and one Skullcap to negate it.

Note that Enterprise Shields (EIS) is banned by TRC - good thing too. If you have EIS but no Skullcap, use it as a proxy for Skullcap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frizzler
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunke wrote:

Virus test site even further avoids that issue since it still does net damage even if it isn't rezzed. The corp player can therefore advance Virus Test Site and refuse to rez it, so the runner can't use the speed trap to avoid the effect and still get the entire effect from the card.

What am I missing? The ambushes are ridiculously good and I can't find a reliable way to avoid them.

There is one thing that you are missing about Virus Test Site and that has not yet been mentioned in this thread:
When Virus Test Site is unrezzed, it only does one Net damage, regardless of the number of advancement counters on it.
That means when Runner has Speed Trap, the Corp can choose not to rez Virus Test Site and do only one point of net damage, or it can choose to rez it, which gives Runner the chance to jack out.

Quote from the rulings:
"
@Unless a node specifically says otherwise, if it is
installed, it must be rezzed in order to take effect.
Of all the nodes and upgrades in v1.0 and Proteus, only
Virus Test Site has any effect when the Runner accesses
it while it is both installed AND unrezzed (it does
1--and only 1--Net damage to the Runner, regardless of
the number of advancement counters on it). (Sparky!,
Netrunner-L, 5/13/96)
"

The rulings can be found here:
http://www.netrunneronline.com/rules/?s=3

SeeYa, Frizzler

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.