Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this legal?

For the two stacks of Axis units to only attack the Northern Russian 3rd Armour unit, in order to conduct an AV attack? This means that the southern Russian 5th Infantry unit is not attacked at all this phase though.

It seems to me like this may be possible after reading rule 16.3

"16.3 If units used to obtain an automatic victory are adjacent to enemy units at the start of their second impulse movement, other friendly units must be brought up to attack those enemy units. (This situation is the only instance, after movement, that a unit may be adjacent to one or more enemy units and not participate in an attack.) If friendly units are not brought up to attack those adjacent enemy units then the automatic victory units may not make a legal attack and must surrender after movement but prior to any other combat being resolved."

But it doesn’t seem possible after reading rules 12.3 and 12.31

"12.3 When several units attack several defending units the attacker has the choice of how to resolve combat provided that:

12.31 he attacks every defending unit whose ZOC he is in"

I’m sure someone with experience can make this a little clearer for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

You can AV the Russian 3rd armor since AVs happen in the movement phase. However, if no unit is brought to attack the Russian 5th army, then the German 49mtn and 55 infantry will surrender in the combat phase (since they would be in the ZOC of an enemy unit that is not being attacked, and have conducted an AV).

Hope this helps.

Jaakko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent thank you! Just to confirm – If the AV happened in the first movement phase and nothing else changed, (in regards to other axis units being brought in) the southern Axis units would surrender as soon as the first combat phase began?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles McLellan
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
I believe that this situation had been ruled on before. You can check with Tom Gregorio: http://russiancampaign.com/

If no other unit could be brought up to attack the Russian 5th Army, at least one of two German units must attack it instead of the 3rd Tank. The AV cannot take place. It is not permitted to make a "suicide" attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.